The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2019 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Roxana's Task: Well-Seasoned Fowl

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 06, 2019 03:05AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
20.6 - Seasoned Reader – Roxana's task: Well-seasoned fowl

Romanian wisdom claims autumn is the time to count your hatchlings: "Toamna se numără bobocii". This proverb is of a feather with the more familiar "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched" - with a couple of twists. First of all, it requires you to wait for the little'uns to grow a bit (cracking the shell is not enough - let's see how they fare from spring to autumn!). Additionally, it specifically targets duck or goose chicks, rather than chickens. Generally, it states that the best time to evaluate an attempt or an effort is after its completion.

Select one of the options below and read one book.
Required: State the option chosen when you post.

Option 1: Birds of a feather
Read a book with all the letters in ONE of the words DUCKLING or GOSLING in its title. Subtitles or series titles cannot be used. Make sure the letters appear as many times as needed (i.e. if you use GOSLING, your title must have at least two Gs)
Required: State which word you're using

Option 2: Feathers and bloom
We also use the word "boboc" to name flower buds (or flowers that have yet to bloom). Now is the time to check how they blossomed! Read a book with one or more full-bloomed flowers on the cover. At least some petals need to be fully expanded and visible.
Required: Include the cover in your post

Examples: Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare The Color Purple by Alice Walker The Orchid Thief A True Story of Beauty and Obsession by Susan Orlean .

Option 3: Leaving the nest
I used to think this saying was about going back to school in autumn - because "boboc" also means rookie, or freshman!

Read a book identified on Goodreads as #1 in a series. Book #2 in the series needs to have been published before September 1st, 2019.
Required: Include in your post the date of publication of Book #2 in the series.

message 2: by Roxana (last edited Sep 11, 2019 11:38AM) (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments More flowers that work for option #2:
Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen All the Names They Used for God by Anjali Sachdeva

message 3: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments **

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Bea (last edited Sep 06, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

Bea | 3815 comments I really like this particular task. First, because I learned something new (Romanian folklore) and second, because of the ways the saying can be applied. Too bad I can only do one.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 897 comments I agree Roxana-Thanks for sharing your heritage!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments For option 2, does it have to be a photo of a flower? Would a drawing of a flower be acceptable, like this cover:

Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer

message 8: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Thanks Bea and Joanne for the kind words :)
Suzanne, I don't think anything in the description goes against drawn flowers - after all, they could go from bud to bloom if the artist draws a handful. I will accept drawn flowers as long as their petals are visibly expanded. Any book cover is a bit drawn in Photoshop or the like, in the end :)

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Roxana wrote: "Thanks Bea and Joanne for the kind words :)
Suzanne, I don't think anything in the description goes against drawn flowers - after all, they could go from bud to bloom if the artist draws a handful...."

Lowcountry Book Club it is, then - thanks!

message 10: by Melanie (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:14PM) (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Would this work? The flower is in the top left corner.

Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen

message 11: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Looks good, Melanie! I also see some bloomed flowers in the title shade - but I had to strain my eyes a bit looking for them :)

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1295 comments I wasn't sure if this was clearly enough a flower, since it's a little abstract, so I thought I would ask :) Thanks!

All the Names They Used for God by Anjali Sachdeva

message 13: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Plenty of fully spread petals, Jessica, works for me :)

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1295 comments Roxana wrote: "Plenty of fully spread petals, Jessica, works for me :)"

Thank you!

message 15: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1082 comments Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip

Will this work for #2? There are a bunch of flowers in the border

message 16: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Hi Kaora, yes, I see a lot of flowers that meet the rule :)

message 17: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2398 comments is this acceptable for flower on cover

Let's Hope for the Best by Carolina Setterwall

message 18: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Hi Marie, looks good to me, it has more than a couple of fully spread petals :) There is no restriction on the cover featuring a "full" flower - if that's what's worrying you.

message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2398 comments Roxana wrote: "Hi Marie, looks good to me, it has more than a couple of fully spread petals :) There is no restriction on the cover featuring a "full" flower - if that's what's worrying you."

thanks thats what i was thinking about

message 20: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 06, 2019 02:45PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments Are the roses on the table clear enough to qualify as "fully bloomed"
Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4) by Julie Hyzy
Bigger image

message 21: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Hi Book Concierge, yes, they look to me as bloomed as they come :)

message 22: by Nicola (last edited Nov 12, 2019 05:33AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Does a flower badge count? In this case the Tudor Rose - The Queen's Agent Francis Walsingham at the Court of Elizabeth I by John P.D. Cooper

message 23: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments A rose by any other name, and fully bloomed at that :) Works for me, Nicola.

message 24: by Sarah Ruth (new)

Sarah Ruth (smurf_bunny) Does this count for option #2?

Rules for Visiting by Jessica Francis Kane

They're pretty small, but the red ones on the left look bloomed to me?

message 25: by Roxana (new)

Roxana Dreptu (lamelemon) | 92 comments Hi Sarah Ruth, I see plenty of bloomed flowers, hope you enjoy your choice :)