EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Check In 2019 > Week 36 Check in

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 820 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Didn't have much of a reading week. It was a holiday weekend, lots of cleaning and hanging out with friends and working on projects.

Also i really wasn't feeling my book, Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11. It was the book club pick for September books & brew. I like space, but I have trouble with nonfiction. I really need there to be a strong narrative, and this just jumped around too much. I couldn't find anything to get drawn into, so kept getting distracted when reading. I wouldn't say it's a BAD book, but just not my style at all.

Currently reading:

The Wicked King - This came up with my digital holds, so getting through it now. I like it, it's a good series. I don't know if I LOVE love it like some people do, but it's a solid fantasy and I enjoy it.

QOTW:

What's the weirdest thing you've ever used for a bookmark, or found in a library book?

I admit I tend to use whatever is nearby so I've used my phone, a kindle, random pieces of paper, pencils, current project etc. I haven't found anything too interesting in a library book, generally just stuff like receipts or flyers.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 236 comments I just happened to see this, so I decided to post before time gets away from me again - but since I posted so late last week, it's only been a couple days!

I did finish Undying, which I really enjoyed. I wish there was going to be more in the series, but I guess it's just going to be the two books.

I'm currently reading The Kennedy Heirs: John, Caroline, and the New Generation - A Legacy of Triumph and Tragedy for IRL book club #2 - it is certainly not one I ever would have picked up on my own. It's pretty much entirely focused on the gossip/scandal aspects of everyone's lives, which is not really my jam, and the author really seems to dislike pretty much everyone he's writing about, so I don't know that I would recommend it - but I'm not done yet, so it may still improve!

QOTW: I'm reading so much electronically now that I don't worry too much about bookmarks - but I've used pretty much every piece of paper that could be lying around the house over the years, including birth certificates, passports, postcards, etc.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Sep 05, 2019 01:03PM) (new)

Sarah Pace (space1138) | 127 comments Slow reading week here, but I have just about half of my quack done, so I can at least say that I was being constructive. Will likely be another relatively book-less week though, as I get it finished up.

Knocked off Spider-Gwen, Vol. 2: Weapon of Choice. I'm liking these, but I'm not absolutely loving them. I like the girl-power aspect, but so far they are too similar to each other for me to really love them as a series. They're fast reads, so I'll likely work through the rest over the next few weeks and see where things wind up.

Finished up Doomsday Book. Aside from getting a bit draggy in the middle, I really loved this one! It's time travel without using worn out tropes as a crutch, and the history is well researched and positively comes alive. I really appreciated seeing the grit and struggle of the middle ages without it glossing over the harsh reality that the average people lived with in those days.

QOTQ: Bookmarks, eh? When I was working at my last library, my older co-workers favorite was the piece of wrapped cheese (like a Kraft single) they found in a book. Supposedly a piece a bacon showed up at one point, too. I've never found anything that interesting myself, though- just lots of old purchase and library receipts.

I personally will use just about anything clean and completely flat that's within reach for a bookmark: receipts, business cards, and the temporary labels that the library sticks on the spines of holds (folded in half) are my usual go-tos, even though I keep a basket of actual bookmarks within reach of my favorite reading spot.

message 4: by Jen (last edited Sep 05, 2019 01:45PM) (new)

Jen (piratenami) | 186 comments I just today finished Circe, and I have to say, wow. As a Greek mythology lover, I absolutely adored this retelling from Circe's point-of-view. This was so well-written, and so lovely.

Manga this week: O Maidens in Your Savage Season 1, the first volume in a sort of coming-of-age story about teenage girls who begin to discover sexuality through their school literature club. It's funny, and scarily relatable at times.

Next up, I haven't decided. I'm going on vacation next week, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to read. I think I'm going to go with Shadow & Flame, the sequel to our last group book, Onyx & Ivory. This just came up from my library holds.

QOTW: I don't remember finding many interesting things in library books. Personally, if I don't have a bookmark handy when I'm reading a regular book, I'll usually throw an old receipt or a folded-up post-it note in there as an emergency placeholder.

message 5: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 158 comments Seems this year I'm checking in monthly rather than weekly.

My latest reads include

The White Tiger, recommended by a friend of mine. Well written but didn't floor me.

Outliers: The Story of Success, which has been in my TBR pile for at least a year, and which I finally got around to because Malcolm Gladwell will be in Montreal next month and I wanted to see whether I was interested in attending (a solid maybe).

Leading Through Language: Choosing Words That Influence and Inspire, which I read for professional purposes. Some bits I found quite enjoyable and useful, others not so much.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. This one I enjoyed quite a bit.

Now working on On the Road, which is not doing it for me, but I have a really hard time abandoning books, particularly those considered classics. So I will slog along.

QOTW: The oddest thing I found, in a book fair purchase, was a handwritten letter from the early 80s to someone in my small town from a distant cousin. My own contributions are often used envelopes, train/subway tickets, and random receipts from my purse.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (alittlebitograce) | 1 comments I just finished Mutiny on the Bounty. The choice of narrator was interesting, and added multiple levels to the storytelling. Would definitely recommend!

My favourite recent read was The Stationery Shop. Such a good book!!! It was highly evocative (especially around food) and caught me in a good way.

Exhalation: Stories caught me by surprise in a good way. Compliations can be hit or miss, especially in sci-fi, but this one was a solid hit! I'm still musing away on several of the themes.

QOTW: The oddest thing I've found most recently in a library was an anniversary card that only used pet names. I've been trying to guess if it's someone I know. :) I use whatever is at hand, which makes my husband crack up, and my MIL now keeps buying me bookmarks. I'm pretty sure I once used a (clean) diaper as a bookmark. :)