Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > I love Little Free Libraries...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments I just wanted to share my excitement - I just took a look at my local cafe's Little Free Library for the first time since the summer and found a pristine copy of 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World which I've been wanting to read after seeing so many good reviews of it on here!

I love Little Free Libraries (although I may have a slightly warped view of the quality of books you'd expect to find in them - Nancy Pearl, our local celebrity librarian, is a regular visitor to the cafe and has been known to drop off boxes of books...)

Do other people on here have Little Free Libraries near them? Have you discovered any treasures?

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3250 comments I love Little Free Libraries too, but I do more giving than receiving. The one closest to my house is mostly kids books.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7492 comments We have one in our little city park-I sometimes drop off books but I have not found anything worth taking yet.

message 4: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5231 comments Nikki wrote: "I just wanted to share my excitement - I just took a look at my local cafe's Little Free Library for the first time since the summer and found a pristine copy of [book:10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this..."

Wow that's amazing! Amazon says it's not available until December!

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments There are at least three that are within 1/4 mile of where I live, walkable. Including one across the street from my complex. This is where almost all my books go when I'm done and don't want to keep. I rarely find ones I want to take though.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments We have them all over the place, and luckily enough lots of places where you can leave or exchange print books.

message 7: by Jgrace (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:28AM) (new)

Jgrace | 2817 comments I live in a cultural desert. An eagle scout candidate approached the city council about a little free library project for city parks. As far as I know he wasn't asking for funding, just permission. They turned him down. It was somehow deemed to be dangerous.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 429 comments The ones in our community are called Read Boxes :) I keep an eye out and quite a few best sellers have passed through.

message 9: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I just love the idea that you have a celebrity librarian!

We have free libraries. They are always so cute. Like little bird houses or barbie doll houses. I’ve scored Pachinko, Normal People and some other good looking books from them.

But also just boxes that people leave outside their houses (hoping for no rain). I got some amazon books that way

message 10: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Jgrace - that’s depressing!

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6702 comments I discovered one in the Kensington area of Queens one day last year when I was walking from the subway to a client for a meeting. I took a picture, looked inside but did not take a book, in part because I was already carrying a heavy briefcase.

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Gleason (archivistreader) I love little free libraries! Unfortunately one a couple cities over from me kept getting cleaned out by a woman who would take all the books and leave notes that the books should be going to the public library. I think she was eventually caught and charged.

message 13: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Meli wrote: "I love Little Free Libraries too, but I do more giving than receiving. "

There is one near me, only installed about a year and a half ago. Where I lived before (3.5 years ago), there were a few closeby (one was right at my bus stop, so I could check it every day! It was perfect!).

Like Meli, I love them, too, but also do more giving than taking. I have so many books on the tbr, I try not to take something unless I know it's already on the tbr (though I have grabbed a couple by authors I know I like, even if that book isn't actually on the tbr).

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Jgrace wrote: "I live in a cultural desert. A eagle scout candidate approached the city council about a little free library project for city parks. As far as I know he wasn't asking for funding, just permission. ..."

Wow, that's sad. :-(

message 15: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3250 comments Jgrace wrote: "I live in a cultural desert. A eagle scout candidate approached the city council about a little free library project for city parks. As far as I know he wasn't asking for funding, just permission. ..."

Grrr... that kinda makes me angry!
I put a serial killer book in one of them before and it got snatched up quick. Concerned parent or true-crimophile like me?

Idit wrote: "I just love the idea that you have a celebrity librarian!

We have free libraries. They are always so cute. Like little bird houses or barbie doll houses. I’ve scored Pachinko, Normal People and s..."

WOW! Those are really good scores for a free library.

message 16: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Meli wrote: "WOW! Those are really good scores for a free library. "

I think because we keep looking around in Goodreads, and in this group - we know which books are 'hot' and find them more easily then a random person that looks. But YES i was pretty pleased.

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Wow - I'm shocked to hear about jgrace's city council & Ellen's saboteur - the LFLs seem like such an obvious thing to support!

Thanks NancyJ, I appreciate my good luck even more now - I think I need to bump it up to the top of my reading list.

Idit - yes, our celebrity librarian was one of the first things my neighbour told me about when we moved here (Seattle is a special place) - there's even an action figure of her ;-) https://mcphee.com/pages/history-of-t...

I also totally agree about all the Goodreads browsing priming me to find good books - when we first moved here I used to pick on a whim & got some real duds, but now I've adopted LibraryCin's policy of aiming to pick up TBR books only unless I'm strongly convinced, and am getting much better results!

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7492 comments @Nikki-I love the Action Figure!!! How special is that!

message 19: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 290 comments I enjoy LFLs. The only one in my little town is at the elementary school and is full of children's books, which I think is great. I also enjoy geocaching, and have found more than a few geocaches at little free libraries. I always leave a book in the library when I find those geocaches.
A friend of mine has a sister that maintains a LFL. She shops Goodwill bin sales for books to stock the library with. You could probably find a book off your tbr in her library, she keeps it well stocked.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5808 comments We have two in our village (pop. 2200) ... One is in the park, near the playground, and the other is in a corner of the Village Hall parking lot. I think I've seen one or two in residents' yards as well. I guess we are a literary community. I've never scored a real find, though I have checked, especially just before a vacation ... for books to take along, but mostly I put books into it.

Of course, I'm a heavy user of my regular public library .... but those books get returned!

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Ah, the town I grew up in (now population: ~1100, I believe) has one on main street beside the post office. Not sure if there are others in town or not.