Challenge Corner discussion

11/22/63
This topic is about 11/22/63
Let's Buddy!- Historical > 11/22/63, by Stephen King - Starting September 6th 2019

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14751 comments Mod
Life can turn on a dime—or stumble into the extraordinary, as it does for Jake Epping, a high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine. While grading essays by his GED students, Jake reads a gruesome, enthralling piece penned by janitor Harry Dunning: fifty years ago, Harry somehow survived his father’s sledgehammer slaughter of his entire family. Jake is blown away...but an even more bizarre secret comes to light when Jake’s friend Al, owner of the local diner, enlists Jake to take over the mission that has become his obsession—to prevent the Kennedy assassination. How? By stepping through a portal in the diner’s storeroom, and into the era of Ike and Elvis, of big American cars, sock hops, and cigarette smoke... Finding himself in warmhearted Jodie, Texas, Jake begins a new life. But all turns in the road lead to a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald. The course of history is about to be rewritten...and become heart-stoppingly suspenseful.

message 2: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer | 3006 comments Mod
Adrie,

Someone snagged the copy on Libby, so I've put it on hold. Technically, they can keep it for 2 weeks, but people usually don't use the full amount of time. Go ahead and get started when you are ready and I'll catch up as soon as I can.

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Great!! That will give me time to read because I definitely don't read as fast as you do!!

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments I started reading!! Had a bit of time today

I haven't read a Stephen King book in so many years, i remember why he is so famous.

Even without anything major happening, he grabs your attention! He is a master story teller.

Since I live in South Africa I am completely unfamiliar with the details of American history (I at least know that JFK was assassinated) LOL!! But not much more!!

I am completely unfamiliar with baseball and football (not played in SA at all) so much of that goes over my head but I am enjoying it so far

Really looking forward to you starting Jennifer

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Okay made some progress!!!

I have never been too good with names and in this book its a problem!! haha

When he speaks about the coincidences that this person resembles the next person i have to go back again and find the name again

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Library says my copy will be “available soon”, so I’m crossing my fingers

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Really enjoying it!!

(view spoiler)

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Almost done!!

Full of suspense!! I want to read to find out what happens and I dont want to read because i dont want to find out what happens!! Does it make sense? Hahaha

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Hi Jennifer I have finished the book this morning, I am going to write my views in spoilers because I am really interested to see how you enjoyed it

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I got my copy last night! Yay! Gonna start it today

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Fantastic!!! Cant wait

message 12: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Part 1 - Ok, so I just finished Stephen's On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King , which was amazing. And while he never spoke about this book specifically, it is so neat to see how he has let parts of his life influence the characters, especially Jake. He also talks about his love of "situational" plots - dropping a character into a situation and seeing what he/she does. This is it! (view spoiler)
Part 2, Ch 6 - (view spoiler) I am loving this book though!

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Jennifer I so completely agree with you!!

What would I do?

I have actually thought about it what if there was a portal now where I could go back in time but when I return to this life only two minutes would of past.

I would definitely take go to a hotel and sleep!!! HahahahahaAnd i then take 2 weeks and read and relax, no kids!! Haha!! and when I return they are still doing what they did and didnt miss me and I just had a two week break!!

I love a book that makes one think and daydream

message 14: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ha! Yes, sometimes a good nap would be well worth it.

message 15: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Part 3 - (view spoiler) IDK. This is just starting to get weird - I love it!

message 16: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Part 4 - (view spoiler)
Finished - Amazeballs! and that is why he is the King. (view spoiler) This one was really thought-provoking. I loved it.

message 17: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adrie wrote: "Hi Jennifer I have finished the book this morning, I am going to write my views in spoilers because I am really interested to see how you enjoyed it

My first question at the end was: Can one man-..."

(view spoiler)

Adrie Schutte | 289 comments Jennifer wrote: "Adrie wrote: "Hi Jennifer I have finished the book this morning, I am going to write my views in spoilers because I am really interested to see how you enjoyed it

My first question at the end was..."

Indeed something to ponder!!!