Beyond Reality discussion

Sorcerer's Legacy
This topic is about Sorcerer's Legacy
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Sorcerer's Legacy: author thread

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
Beyond Reality is pleased to invite Janny Wurts to answer questions about Sorcerer's Legacy for us! Janny is a longtime member of this group and we are thrilled to be reading her work again.

message 2: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments This group has ever been one of my favorites, so thank you all for voting this title as your book of the month.

It was my first novel, written out of a fluke set of circumstances combined with a dare - a story I could relate if you'd like.

It was also the book that caused Ray Feist to ask me to collaborate with him on creation of the Empire series.

I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have, though if there is a delay - I am on 'standby' with my local search and rescue team awaiting word on a request to serve in the Bahamas in Dorian's wake, which may take me out of the office for a stretch.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Janny wrote: "I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have, though if there is a delay - I am on 'standby' with my local search and rescue team awaiting word on a request to serve in the Bahamas in Dorian's wake, which may take me out of the office for a stretch."

You are amazing :D

I regret that I've not been able to read this yet! My library does not have it in the catalog and I don't have the budget for book purchases right now. But I will get to it when I can - I've loved all of the other books of yours that I've read.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
Thank you for joining us, Janny. I, for one, would love to hear the story of the “fluke set of circumstances combined with a dare” that led to this story being written.

Prior to reading this book, I’ve read some of the Wars of Light and Shadow series but none of your other books (although I have many on my shelf, waiting to be read). I see the same attention to detail and the unique plot twists in this book as in the others I’ve read, but certainly the writing is less mature, less polished, especially in the first half of the book. Can you talk a little about how you think your writing has changed?

Edited to add a thank you for your compassion and willingness to help others after Dorian.

message 5: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Shel wrote: "Janny wrote: "I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have, though if there is a delay - I am on 'standby' with my local search and rescue team awaiting word on a request to serve in the ..."

The nice thing about books: they are very patient and will wait without losing a thing. Thank you for your nice words and taking time to stop in.

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kathi wrote: "Thank you for joining us, Janny. I, for one, would love to hear the story of the “fluke set of circumstances combined with a dare” that led to this story being written.

Prior to reading this book,..."

Here you go, Kathi: it began with a painting, in a very very hot summer, when I lived in what amounted to uninsulated field hands' quarters over a colonial carriage house - tiny windows, dormer/not much air, slate roof and - airlessly hot in July/August. I was working on artwork to send to Worldcon in the UK, and customs forms had to be done over a month in advance. Since, at that stage of my career, I was improving so fast, the showpiece to that stage had to be NEW and up to the minute best of my ability. So to keep myself at the easel, I did a picture of a wizard and a woman in a FREEZING COLD setting....the title of the work was Icebridge by Sorcery....and it was just a fanciful fantasy image.

What happened: I had an art agent (since history) who was taking the artwork to England. I sure didn't have the bucks to go...and she was horridly persistent about 'how much to price the work for' - and I have a hard headed habit of never pricing a work before it is finished...so I kept fending her off. When she was due to show up to collect the art - it was not really done. I'd been working in acrylic, and none of the jewelry on the woman was finished - so I filled it in FAST in colored pencil, figuring I'd paint it in when it came back....so we had this deadlock going - on what to price it for, and me, not wanting to actually SELL a work I knew was not finished out.

The ONLY way to get this woman off my back was by invoking the ONE RULE I insisted on: no artwork connected to a LITERARY work of mine was ever for sale, PERIOD. But to pull that clause and hold that line: I needed a 'literary work' attached to the image.

QUICK!!! (she was due to pick up the art next day) I sat down and wrote 18 or so pages of a Heroine in Deep DooDoo/so deep, by gosh, NOBODY would figure a way out for her...took said partial manuscript, shoved it in a folder and slammed the file box door on it, so I thought, FOREVAH.

Well never say never....on comes August. It's still broiling hot in my garrett apartment. The little writers' group in Philly is due to meet to hash over manuscripts - and my place is this month's venue. It's been SO hot (this was before houses were airconditioned at all) nobody had written a thing....so here we are, a group of six or eight of us, with all the junk food, soda and candy, melting in my place, with NO manuscripts to read or critique. Nothing.

The gang got on my back: "Wurts, we KNOW you have something - here's this four drawer FILE BOX filled with manuscript, etc, and we SEE the corners of paper sticking out of that there drawer - cough it up, or we'll be eating junk food all day with nothing to read."

So I sez: HEH, let's give them that 18 pages of melodramatic drivel, and watch their faces...joke on them. This is NOT the usual Wurts manuscript, not a bit....carry on. DARE YA to take this one seriously....!!

Well, they loved it. They said, "We think this could fly." And I thought, dismayed, crap, I don't HAVE an ending....only then, fickle muse, fickle fickle imagination - the IDEA light came on....and I did.

This little story became my first novel sale. I have a standing bet: that I'd refund the price of the book to anyone who could read Ch 1 and second guess the finish. Nobody ever has....but one person did come up with a clever alternate.

The biggest scare I had was that someone would get the book and not finish it...so I made every dang chapter a cliffhanger to be sure. And that came back to bite me: complaints from readers who read it in the tub and never stopped until The End/emerged a shivering prune. Readers who began it on a Friday at a con, and read all night, and were too shot to go to parties on Sat....

Yes, my writing has changed a lot from this first start. Some, was the nature of the book itself - I never meant to write a story like this one to begin with. Some, the style is shaped by the story itself, and I tend to vary styles with the content of the tale. There will be a dramatic difference from the way this one was written, to the way I depicted Wars of Light and Shadows - because in the bigger work, there are so many layers and levels - it was necessary to slow down perception on the readers' part, because if the story was written in a 'faster' style, too much would be missed, and the huge reveals and the nuance of the depths that occur in the latter half of the series would be totally missed. My purpose in writing that longer work was very specific, and very different, and the entire first half of it is 'build' so that the unique concepts that emerge in the latter half make sense and have their designed impact. Sorcerer's Legacy just isn't that kind of a story, it can be read at a gulp and miss nothing.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
Janny wrote: "Here you go, Kathi:..."

What a delightful story! Thank you for the insight!

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 56 comments Wholeheartedly agree. Thank you for sharing Janny.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Of further note: there will soon be a new paperback edition (UK/AU/NZ, but, alas, not yet N. America) with a brand new cover - one much better suited to that ugly one with the 'devil' and the naked spirit....I will be making a cover unveil, soon, once I know the pub date from HarperCollins Voyager UK.

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Kathi wrote: "Janny wrote: "Here you go, Kathi:..."

What a delightful story! Thank you for the insight!"

Delightful is right! Now I REALLY want to hunt down a copy :)

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Back from the Bahamas, what an experience, I truly believe the people our team helped gave us back much more than we gave them. A privilege to serve their need, for sure.

I am back here to thank you at Beyond Reality for the privilege of interacting with the readers of Sorcerer's Legacy for your Book of the Month discussion. I've enjoyed your questions and responses, and was touched that you voted this title as your choice.

Happy reading on your next book - you have a wonderful group here, and it's been a pleasure.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sorcerer's Legacy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janny Wurts (other topics)