Harry Potter discussion

James Potter > British vs. American schools

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you feel that the American school is more forward thinking than Hogwarts?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Hogwarts is an older school with more traditions. I don't consider Alma Aleron more forward thinking, just different.

message 3: by hamilton.ja (new)

hamilton.ja (hamiltonja) | 5 comments Ha, well they sort of exemplify the differences between UK and US schools now really. One is much more traditional, much more strict, much more set in their ways - take a guess which it is! I think Alma Aleron could be considered more forward thinking but really it is just that the Hogwarts sees no reason to change because what they've been doing has been successful for such a long time. Whereas Alma Aleron, being significantly younger, will have less of that mentality and therefore be more open to change in general.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think if you boil it down, the UK is used to sending young children to boarding schools. I think even though Alma Aleron is a boarding school, its based more on American universities.

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean the jedi wizard time traveling ninja (sean1215) | 5 comments Sorry guys alma aleron is to awesome, but kinda ties with the spectacular hogwarts!

message 6: by G. (new)

G. Lippert (georgezilla) | 6 comments A note from the author: I definitely intended to show some general differences in attitude between the American and European style of schooling, so I am very pleased that you all picked up on it. AAU is very "progressive", which can be good and bad. Hogwarts is traditional, tried-and-true. What an interesting conversation!

Monserrat Haner | 2 comments I am kind of lost here, someone can explain me what is Alma Aleron please?

message 8: by Cathryn (last edited Aug 20, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

message 9: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) I really like how Wood was introduced at Alma. The schools are very different. All students stayed in Hogwarts the one castle whereas Alma has various housing buildings like university sorority/fraternity life.

message 10: by Lucie (new)

Lucie I actually don't like American wizard schooling. Don't know, maybe it's the whole America thing -- prefer tradition maybe little bit mixed with modern technology but not this much (traveling by cars? really?).

message 11: by David (new)

David Eastwick (davideastwick) Hi, all. For another vision of what Harry Potter's world might be like on the other side of the Atlantic, check out my fanfic, Jina Dare and the Emerald Tablet, and please let me know what you think!

message 12: by Balu (new)

Balu (balu_reader) | 17 comments Ilvermory backstory is amazing.

message 13: by Eilidh (new)

Eilidh (the_nocturnal_library) | 17 comments Alan wrote: "Ilvermory backstory is amazing."

I know, and it's because of Hogwarts as well

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 19, 2021 04:40AM) (new)

oh seriously is this a question to ask? british is going great

i love speaking british, its accent is so wonderful and formal

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

american schools too though there is less subjects there in american schools here in uae