The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Teresa book thoughts and Task thoughts

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I thought I would start a thread for what I read during the challenge. I hope others comment and share too. Heck start your own thread 'cause we all will need to rebuild the TBR piles after finish the challenge. LOL

Book Whisperer, great way to bring the love of reading to children, instead of forced reading for test taking

Sudoku Murders, I love this series, not the greatest book

N/R( now reading)

Scarlet letter, 1/2 way done, no clue on what I am reading, just like in 10th grade when it turned me off the classics

Franklin Roosevelt, a dry read but do see where our current President is compared to this President

206 bones, only chapter 3 but already hooked on it

Math for your 1st and 2nd grade, gave me new ideas on how to get my child like math ( forget loving it)

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments I created a new folder for this because I think they should be separate from the Getting To Know You stuff.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Cynthia wrote: "I created a new folder for this because I think they should be separate from the Getting To Know You stuff. "

that's fine

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Good idea Teresa! I've copied you and started my own thread! It'll be interesting to see people's views and thoughts as we go along! I've not ready any of the books you're reading - will have to investigate further!

message 5: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 23 comments Which task are you reading the Scarlet Letter for? That was on my list for the Summer Challenge but I never got to it, it'd be great if I could make it count for something this time around.

P.S. I agree, good idea!

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Jaclyn wrote: "Which task are you reading the Scarlet Letter for? That was on my list for the Summer Challenge but I never got to it, it'd be great if I could make it count for something this time around.

P..."

I believe it is 5.5 reread a book from high school and see if you feel the same, you can check my profile it is near the top

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) For the president task, I chose FDR and Lincoln. I know our current president looks to Lincoln, but I can see how he is compared to FDR. He came in to office with the Great Depression and WW2. FDR made a lot of policy that affects us today and tried to help the America people. My other thoughts

25.6 Franklin D Roosevelt - L256 pages

AND Lincoln as I Knew Him Gossip, Tributes, and Revelations from His Best Friends and Worst Enemies281 pages

Roosevelt Accomplishments

served 4 terms, new deal, welfare, unemployment benefits, medical benifets, social security, 1st african american supreme judge,started plans united nation, made provisions to regulate business such as publi works, fdic, securities and exchange, national labor relief, land lease, gi bill

Scandals, ( very few and hard to find, even then sugarcoated) made of had an affair with secetary, possible cover up of sex scandal when enlisted, didnt do enough for civil rights

Ambrhama lincoln accomplishments, emancaption procolamation, 13th amendment, ended slavery, leader during civil war, gettysburg address homestead act, forgein policy kept other countries out of our civil war, morril act ( started public colleges), national banking act ( foundation for banks, ) Railroad built ocean to ocean,

This book is all gossip, truth etc on this president, the only scandal alluded to were depression, alcholism and he didnt care for woman, prefered the company of men

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Scarlet Letter couldnt stand it in high school, used cliff notes, this could be the reason I dont read classics.

I read it again while the kids did homework, no clue on what I read nor do I care. I just want to know why she was put on public display like that and the man just walked away.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) A solider's heart, gary paulsen, Read this during swim lessons.

I want to know more about this young boy in this story, it is based on a true solider. ALso I didn't realize how far some came to fight the Civil War.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) now reading:

206 bones, non renewable : ( off to a solid start,

die trying, group read for Novel Ladies, 2nd attempt at this series which gets high reviews

chicken soup for the mother's soul, self help task

capital crimes, for the relations task, if you are thinking of reading this for the 2 heads better than one DON'T because it is 2 short books put into one book, neither story has anything to do with the other

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Well the kids are swimming for 2 hrs today and then sitting waiting for an oil change,

planning on reading another chunk (30 pages or so) of chicken soup,

I should be able to finish Farnehit 451 and what happened to cass mcbride, then will get back to capital crimes, first novella is done, now reading the second, really strange way to put a book together and claim authorsip by 2 authos

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Finish 15.4
farhenit 451 and watched School House rock
Somehow I have gone through life not reading the classics, and now I am tipping my toes in that genre. Scarlett Letter was horrible and Fahrenheit 451 made up for it. This book was wrote in 1950's and thankfully it is fiction but the story is futurtisitic. Fireman now set fire to books and burn homes with people in them for having such material. Many believe it is wrong to have opinions or thoughts that differ from others. One fireman is befriended by Cassie who makes him question everything that has been drilled in his head by previous generations of fireman. As he questions the burning of books, many turn on him. This book made me think, if we had a society today like this, I would be on the steps defending the libraries and the books, even knowing what my outcome would be for doing that. I got a little lost in the middle but that could be because I don't read science fiction.

School house rock, EARTH, this brought me back to my Saturday mornings as a kid, I plan on seeing if the library has the orginials for my kids

EARTH got a little preachy and political on global warming, energy crisis, but still the songs were worth it.

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) What Happened to Cass McBride?

The popular girl is asked out by the class nerd and he is rejected. Having teenagers in my house I knew this would not end good, but didn't think it would end this badly. Cass rejects the boy and leaves a snippity note for her best friend to find next period. Instead the boy intercepts the note. Cass worries all day that he will out her with the note and expose her in a bad light. It is worse, he kills himself the next day. Cass is devasted but she is the IT girl, Daddy has the money, she wears the right clothes, befriends all to further her agenda and nothing bad every sticks to her. Well the brother decides it is ALL Cass's fault that his brother dies so he kidnaps her and buries her alive. Over the next 48-72 hours we get different POV's showing us how these teenagers ended up on the path life has given them. I think this book should be on required reading lists so teens can see how their actions, of words, bullying, lies on facbook etc, can affect lives forever.

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) 15.4 read farenhit 451 and watched school house rock EARTH

message 15: by Teresa (new)

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Well if I could get my multi task books done, I could add some points, life got in the way ;(

Already watched marley and me, now reading the book

need to finished carved in bone for the noun task

need to finished sunstroke for the relation task

need to finish die trying and need read the other two

need to read crazy hot for the poetry task

Kids swim 2 hrs today and then 2 hrs at the laundrymat, PLEASE let me read in peace : )

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) SunstrokeNot a new voice in crime ficiton, but a boring telling of a bad story. Gloria is in love with her boss of 10 yrs and he has no clue. He goes off to Mexico and leaves her in charge. She gets a strange message on her phone from him, and is told he is dead. She goes off scatterbrained to find his body and is accosted sexually by the local police. Back to Los Angeles she flees only to learn he had a secret life. She finds his exstranged son and they run back to Mexico. More dumb things happen and the book is over.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) slingshot I needed a poetry book for the fall challenge. I have heard hip hop and slam poetry. I thought this would be the perfect book for me. Instead the poet is white and jewish. His heavy hand of his views on Muslims and various other religions made this book a hard read.

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog

Marley, oh Marley, what a dog. Marley is the poster dog for bad doggy behavior, but oh so lovable at the same time. He chews his way through life, with wild eyed enjoyment and never looks back. This book made me laugh out loud quite loudly at time and at times I cried without embrassement. Usually if a book is made into a movie, the book is better. This book is outstanding and the movie just brings Marley's antics to life.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 36 comments I'm in the middle of rereading Catcher in the Rye for that school task. Aside from his name, I didn't remember this book much, except that I liked it. I'm still liking it, though I wish I was done with it at the same time. So much TBR. :D

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Jennifer wrote: "I'm in the middle of rereading Catcher in the Rye for that school task. Aside from his name, I didn't remember this book much, except that I liked it. I'm still liking it, though I wish I was done ..."

LOL not much better than my view on Scarlett letter and now I am being encouraged to find classics for my 5 th grader, Yeah I hate them then, I hate them now

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) carved in bone I love forensics and CSI type stuff. I have read all the Kathy Reichs books and most of Cornwell's books. I watch BONES, Criminal Minds and many more related shows. SO to have a series set in the BODY FARM where the most extensive research is done was just a must read for me. The main character is a tenured professer at the farm and it gets calls for unique corpses and death scenes. This time is called to a cave to remove a mummifed body. As he researches the identity of the person, he meets some colorful characters along the way. There are two writers who detailed the anatomy of the body and forensic application in a way non medical people can follow along. The case becomes pretty straight forward, just need to elimanate some suspects to get to the truth. My downside of this novel is 2 plots that didnt need to be there.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "carved in bone I love forensics and CSI type stuff. I have read all the Kathy Reichs books and most of Cornwell's books. I watch BONES, Criminal Minds and many more related shows. SO to have a se..."

Sounds right up my alley too! Thanks for the book suggestion Teresa. Always looking for a quick read.

message 24: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Oooh, I have just got Flesh and Bone from the library - it's the second in the series I think, but I'm hoping that doesn't matter as I haven't read the first and the library don't have it .... had to re-shuffle the tasks to fit it in!

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Sara☺ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "carved in bone I love forensics and CSI type stuff. I have read all the Kathy Reichs books and most of Cornwell's books. I watch BONES, Criminal Minds and many more relate..."

Another forensic lover : ) this book really goes into detail on the BONES stuff, do you others in the forensic setting you aread

message 26: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) SuzieR wrote: "Oooh, I have just got Flesh and Bone from the library - it's the second in the series I think, but I'm hoping that doesn't matter as I haven't read the first and the library don't have it .... had ..."

I can't figure out where i laid flesh and bones down out based on the ending of this one, I would say the case is closed, maybe personal stuff may carry over?

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The God Cookie A Novel

Parrish is the owner of a coffee shop and his 2 best buddies from childhood help out and they eat lunch a few times a week at the all you can eat Chinese Buffet. Well They are having an inane conversation about golf balls that involved into is God real? Parrish excuses himself and while washing up in the bathroom, asks God for a sign. Well he gets one in his fortune cookie and the adventure begins. Along the way he meets many people in many walks of life. He befriends a young woman who seems to have a big chip on her shoulder but quickly signs on to the PARRISH PROJECT. Along the way his 2 buddies provide quite a few LOL moments and Parrish provides many things to think and ponder. I haven't read many books in this genre but I have found a new author.

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Bear Essentials Everything Today's Hard-Pressed Parent Needs to Know About Bringing Up Happy, Healthy Kids

love reading the berenstain books to my children. They love seeing the bears get into trouble and how mama helps them out. This is a tongue in cheek approach to parenting issues. It does not go into deep reasoning for the behavior and doesn't involve deep solutions to the problem. It gives you an overlay of the problem and ways to solve it. Each chapter refers back to the book the issue is explained in more detail for the children.

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "A solider's heart, gary paulsen, Read this during swim lessons.

I want to know more about this young boy in this story, it is based on a true solider. ALso I didn't realize how far some cam..."

I'm not sure if it was you where I saw about
Soldier's Heart Being the Story of the Enlistment and Due Service of the Boy Charley Goddard in the First Minnesota Volunteers but I think it probably was. I really enjoyed this book and probably would have overlooked it and picked another book all together otherwise. Thank you!

message 30: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Kari ♪ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "A solider's heart, gary paulsen, Read this during swim lessons.

I want to know more about this young boy in this story, it is based on a true solider. ALso I didn't ..."

I knew nothing of this, and I WANT to know more of his story Glad you enjoyed it

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Kari ♪ wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "A solider's heart, gary paulsen, Read this during swim lessons.

I want to know more about this young boy in this story, it is based on a true solider. ..."

I definitely went away wanting to know about Charley. It would have been cool had he kept a journal/diary and it had gotten published.

message 32: by Teresa (last edited Oct 28, 2009 04:53PM) (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) current total 610

10.4 Skull Duggery
10.8 Eyes Of Prey
15.2 The Eyre Affair

20.3 hoping for Julie and Julia My Year of Cooking Dangerously may be stuck with Shutter Island
25.10Witch

80 to go

message 33: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "SunstrokeNot a new voice in crime ficiton, but a boring telling of a bad story. Gloria is in love with her boss of 10 yrs and he has no clue. He goes off to Mexico and leaves her in ..."

This is a great review. The book sounds awful but your summary was very entertaining! My chuckling woke the cat.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Dionisia wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "SunstrokeNot a new voice in crime ficiton, but a boring telling of a bad story. Gloria is in love with her boss of 10 yrs and he has no clue. He goes off to M..."

Thank you, I try to write my reviews as a reminder to me about the book and my feelings. I also hope they help others out too. I don't like when I look up a book and it has stars but no review afterwards. I like to know WHY it got that rating.

and this book was just plain awful.

message 35: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Dead Until DarkAfter reading Twilight and EvermoreI was all ready to check out the hype of the Southern Vampire series. I was very disappointed. The book is disjointed, the story moves all over the place and many characters come across wooden. I found the book confusing because it didn't explain many things, just assumed the reader would get it. I didn't. Sookie is a waitress who also can read minds, hangs out with vampires and sees this all as a normal life. The plot has the typical love triangle, vampires doing typical vampire things and some unusual characters bring a little life to the book. I ignore hype surrounding a book and read it for my own evalutation. In this case, I don't get the hype surrounding this series. (less)

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Flight Dreams A Mark Manning Mystery

Mark Manning is a journalist told to uncover the truth of a missing Heiress, who's will is to be given to the church unless it is proven she is not dead. The story is told in journal entries and meanders around before getting to the point. He figures out that her missing cats have something to do with the disapperance. By the time the mystery is solved, I didnt care about it. I read this book for the fall challenge for the gay character. That is handled well with Mark acceptin who is and finding a partner. The author handles it well when the girl that hangs with these two guys realize friendship is all she will get.

message 37: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) When the Black Girl SingsLahni in this story is a teenager struggling to find her place in middle school and her family. In addition to normal teenage issues, she must also deal with the fact she is adopted by a white family and she is black. She also attends all white girl prep school and the popular girls are either jealous of her, or mean to her. She has one friend who is there through it all. As she watches her parent's marriage fall apart and try to find her place in the world, she learns she is a great singer. Her mom takes her to church after the father leaves for another life and she joins the choirs. As she learns to sings, she accepts her life and who she is and along the way becomes a very confident teenager who will do well in life no matter the color of her skin or what her family life is like at home

message 38: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) 5th horseman Lindsay is back running the department and itching to be on the streets. Yuri has been ushered into the club and Cindy is looking for the next headline. Two cases appear this time, one is dubbed the car girl murders. Seems someone is murdering and posing young woman in expensive cars and no clues are left. The second case is Maura is sueing the Regional hospital for malpractice type deaths which have been made to look like accidents. The first case comes to conclusion and normally you have another 100 pages of nothing but a bizaree twist to an ending that you though had ended. This time you still need to see the hospital case to the end. This one maintained its build up and the ending was not expected.

message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Lost symbol

When I first heard what city was being researched next, I thought YEAH!!!! Professor goes to Washington. We will see all the secrets, symbols, double meanings, hidden treasures etc that Washington DC is rumored to have in its hallowed halls and underneath the statues. Well I'm still waiting. Where Da Vinci Code gave us thrills and entertainment with the research and education, Lost Symbol just stays lost. About 1/3 into the book, I was saying to myself where is the ACTION????? I felt like I was reading a research paper and not an exciting one either. Even his disbelievers came across as people not sure what they are doing in these scenes and couldn't wait to leave. I couldn't even summons much sympathy for Peter and the violence he endured to keep the "symbol" secret. After waiting for so long for a novel that was expected to expose Washington lure like we saw in Italy, I am still waiting.

message 40: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Battle of the Labyrinth

It pains me to give this such a low rating since all the previous books were such high caliber. This book made me as it was still cleaning up storylines from Titan's Curse or setting up situations for Last Olympian. I had no laughs in this installment and felt more sadness for Percy and the Gang than anything. Once again school is out for the summer and off to camp they must go. Only there are rumblings that a big change is coming and when they arrive camp is on high alert for monsters. They stumble across the Labyrinth and this is where the book lags not only are they stuck underground, the book is stuck too

message 41: by Teresa (last edited Oct 02, 2009 02:13AM) (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) City of Bones

review:
This book came highly recommended since I Enjoyed Twilight and Harry Potter. Many posters on my various groups rate this book high. I found it medicore. Clary is just your average teenager out for the evening with her Best friend when she sees a murder. Only when security arrives, she can see the people, they see an empty room. The book starts on high energy and is engaging for the first 1/3 of the book. At this point the author finds it necessary to start adding all this other plots and characters for the next 2 books. This is my pet peeve with most trilogys, shoving so much in such a little space, that the concept gets lost. The book did redeem itself in the end, and you know understand Clary and her future, but why did it take so long to get to the point?

message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Grave Endings A Novel of Suspense
This book was free of all my pet peeves, no violence just for shock value, no dumb moves by main character, no unneccesary plots just to add bulk to the book, or stories for future books, etc, etc, etc.

With all that said, Molly is a free lance crime reporter, who complies crime data and sends off to various papers for them to have a police column. She is still shocked by the violent death of her best friend 6 yrs ago. The cop kept her appraised of the case and when a suspect is found she goes seeking questions. Since he died, she works through his life looking for answers. Along the way she encounters his landlord, previous co-workers and his sister. As she looks for answers, she remains grounded and uses her skills to find the truth. Even the personal story here, her getting married and the Jewish tradition filtered through the book just supports the main character and made for a good read. (less)

message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Eagle CatcherI have heard great things about this series and with my disappointment with this book, I was urged to try again as the series grows with each book. With so many books and series, not sure if I will try again. Harvey Castle is a powerful man in the Arapahos tribe and is found murdered by the local priest. His nephew is quickly suspect # 1 and Vicky is called in to defend him. This is a great book for clinical research on how the oil companies and the Indians work together to provide for the reservation and how greed will take it all away. For such a small book, it had a lot going on and probably why it didn't read well for me. We are alluded to a relationship between VIcky and the priest, but for now just an attraction that is probably forbidden. The priest may also be shipped off somewhere else and his elusive assistant will take over. This was character that was mysterious throughout the book and at the end, he just didn't support any storylines. We also see how drinking affects Native Americans, we get an episode of domestic abuse and references to other abuses. There was just too much story and not enough details to make it a good read.

message 44: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Last Olympianthe end to the saga of Percy Jackson and Riordan wraps it all up and you are satfised yet sad the Saga of the Greeks myth is done. Percy is facing the battle of our battles when the Gods, demigods, monsters and more return for one last final battle. With the use of flashbacks and characters adding the necessary infomation the reader learns why Kronos is such a bad dude and why the fight is so intense over who will rule the next 1,000 years or so. We still get humor in this novel, statues coming to life and more. But this novel is the darkest as Percy and his friends battle friend and then foe to save the day. Unlike HP #7 when I still had questions and would like another book to finish up the series, The Last Olympian is the end and what the ending reveals will satsify the readers of this series and leave very few questions.

message 45: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Black FridayKava has the knack to take the "ripped from the headlines" stories and give them a twist so unexpected, you will think about the plot long after the book is closed. In this installment in this series, Agent O'dell is called to Mall of America. There has been 3 bombs set off by terrorists in the Mall the day after Thanksgiving. She is still recovering from medical issues that occured in the book Exposed and the loss of her director. Her new boss has an agenda that makes her life miserable and she is not good at playing the political games. This book is fast paced and reads quickly. It still crosses my mind that terrorists could carry out this plot. The reason I won't give it a 5 is because I felt the book ended to soon. Yes the story is resolved, maybe not with a neat ending but I felt she could of told more of a story with just as sound an ending. (less)

message 46: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Tears of the Giraffe this series gets high marks from many people who read books similar to me. I just didnt get it, found it boring and was glad it was short and ended quickly.

message 47: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) The Birthing HouseA very painful book to read, the plot summary sounds good but it never shows up in the book. Conrad decides to buy a house without consulting his wife and move her to the middle of nowhere. They are already having marriage problems and instead of staying she goes off for job training. In the meantime Conrad is confronted with an album, which is suppose to convince him the house is haunted. Well I had to skim the book at this book, it was just too painful to read. I read the ending which gave no closure to all the stories rambling around in this plot

message 48: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Lips TouchInteresting concept of what can happen when you kiss. There are three stories here, each with different reactions to a kiss. Goblin Fruit is the most innocent, with the beginnings of new love. Kizzy is the outsider, since her family is a little wierd, so she is shocked when the popular boy seeks her out. This is a sweet story of first love and the anticpation of that first kiss. In Spicy little curses, , I didn't get the story, it basically a typical hell/heaven story. Only the girl in this story is mute, if she chooses to speak she could bring a curse down on herself, will she choose to speak or be quiet? and in Hatchling, Esme wakes up with one blue eye and her whole world is turned upside down. This one tended to ramble and in the end it just wasn't as written as well as Goblin Fruit. I could of read a whole novel on the couple in Goblin fruit.