Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-09 Three Stigmata - finished reading (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Post here if you've finished reading the book.

message 2: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments I finished it about 2 weeks ago. Not one of my favorites but an interesting read.

One thing about PKD that always stands out in my mind are his unique but very relevant titles.

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I finished. It was good. I think I might have read this when I was a kid and failed to "get it". It seems very familiar.

Anyway, I have only read one other book by PKD ( Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ) and I think I like this one better. But, I liked both, so I plan on reading some more of his books.

One thing I loved (and was probably what confused me as a kid), was the dream-within-a-dream feeling throughout the book and that it ends without one knowing if that dream was really over.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments The appearance of Palmer Eldritch, in the "dream within a dream" part of the thing, as a little girl seemed to me a little off-putting. Was it a device done just to be cute? Or was there some "wisdom of children" message given there? I never could tell.

The one theme of this book that stands out for me is the evolution of industrial society to a mass of individuals only out for instant gratification because the reality of their lives is so mundane. That's a constant message within PKD's work, but it really hits home here; I think the "global warming" and "evolution" aspects of the book are sub-themes, necessary to emphasize the chief point, but not what the major message of the book is. (And yes, I think that turns the "evolution" silliness into comic relief.)

All the science fiction ideas are so hallucinatory in Dick; I don't think you can divorce him from that '60's-'70's SanFran acid-tripping climate. "Three Stigmata..." puts the drug-induction theme in your face.

message 5: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (lindalees) | 14 comments I finished the book-had trouble putting it down. it was refreshing to be reading a book where I wanted to know what happened next (one of my other group reads was Madame Bovary which I read just before-I had to force myself to finish it).