The Great American Read discussion

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
PAST Group Reads 2019 > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Pre-read. NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 01:38AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is the pre-read, NO SPOILERS thread for The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. We will read this from Sept 5 to Oct 15.

Use this thread to discuss reading plans, first impressions, or if you've already read it - to provide encouragement to others. It's OK to discuss events in the first few chapters of the book.

Who is in?

Kimberly | 33 comments I’m in. I tried to read this several years ago, and it just didn’t his the right note for me. I’m hoping to get through during this group read.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments It was gifted to me, and I put it down after 10 pages, twice. Finally made it through, and it wasn't necessarily because of the writing that I put it down.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2019 04:03PM) (new) - added it

I read it (not thoroughly) a long time ago, but I had some difficulty with the Spanish. Or more accurately, I couldn't always grasp the emotions, sarcasm, etc. based on the context of the writing. I don't know if it would help to listen to an audio.

Quite a few people voted for this one. Is anyone else still reading it, or planning to read it?

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments I don't think I'll re-read it...I didn't care for it enough. But might jump in with things I liked/didn't like, from what I can remember

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

OK. I tried the audio. For what it's worth, I think it's much better on audio. The voice inflections really helped. I think it might be of greater interest to younger readers.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "OK. I tried the audio. For what it's worth, I think it's much better on audio. The voice inflections really helped. I think it might be of greater interest to younger readers."

It's part of what I hated about it. Seemed like he didn't know who his audience was.