The Importance of Reading Ernest discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 219 comments Mod
Manly men, indeed (as Gary suggests). What do we think of them in The Capitol of the World? What do we think of their presence in the world of today? Is there an equivalent in the non-Spanish cultures?

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
well, bullfighting still happens in spain, i know,and probably mexico still. it is still considered an important part of those cultures,and even tho many people may think it's animal cruelty, it is still acceptable in other places as recreation.

When I think of non spanish cultures having a tough guy event, i think of football, boxing, and this is where FIGHT CLUB , both the book,and the movie fit in. You hear about how that fight clubs actually do exist,and men beat the tar out of each other, on a friday night.

Competition is alive and well in the usa,and also there's illegal cock fighting, etc, for example that goes on. People also fight pit bulls. Think of competition in the workplace,and how ruthless people are with each other in many of "society's" situations.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
Madrid i would say must be the bullfighting capital of the world,wouldn' t you say, even today??? isn't that what hemingway's title refers to?

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Mexico has bull fights all the time.

message 5: by Brad (new)

I understand, though, that only Spain retains true bullfights in the Hemingway vein. Isn't the Mexican bullfighting altered in some way to reduce danger?

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/25...

The main difference seems to be that Spain is seen as the big time for Mexican matadors, and that Mexico is the off season place for the matadors of Spain.

The real difference is in Portugal where they fight the bull from horseback and the bull is not killed in the ring.

message 8: by Brad (new)

Stephen wrote: "The real difference is in Portugal where they fight the bull from horseback and the bull is not killed in the ring...." Aha! That sounds like what I was thinking. Thanks for that, Stephen.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I want to see a bullfight. I do not want to see a bullfight. How odd is that?

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
i want to see a bullfight where hemimgway watched. i also want to see the guys run from the bulls in pampola. ( i know i misspelled that.) notice i said i want to watch. i don't think i could do the run these days.

message 11: by Brad (new)

I want to run with the bulls. And I want to watch the bullfights, and then after that I would love to make love in a dirty back alley at the height of the fiesta. Did I just write that out loud?

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Alone or with a bull?

message 13: by Brad (new)

Just as long as it isn't a steer.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Oh, that pointy business could be a "pain."