This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I love donuts but they hate me

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (last edited Mar 14, 2008 12:42PM) (new)

Vanessa That's funny - I hate donuts, but they love me. The little round bastards are always following me home, jumping into my shopping cart and leaping up to kiss me on the lips. I hate it. I hate it and them so much that I end up tearing them apart with my teeth, like some savage, pissed off beast. That'll teach 'em.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmm..I have a friend coming to visit next week who can't wait to try Voodoo Donuts infamous Bacon/Maple donut creation.

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) That is so sick, you tell Dan he's a disgusting bastard!

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Okay, just disgusting...

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie After I gave birth to my daughter, the nurse told me she was going to bring me a donut, and I got all excited until she came into the room with the plastic kind that you sit on. I HATE THAT DUMB KIND OF DONUT!

message 6: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I don't understand the big deal about Krispy Kreme donuts. I hate how everyone made such a big diggity damn deal about them and then, when I tried one, it was nothing special... and sure as HELL not worth the calories. Usually the people who make such a big deal out of them are from the East Coast. I wish those people would wake up one morning and find sprouts and vegan muffins in their breakfast nook. Bastids.

message 7: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) Fine. Be that way. We're taking back bagels.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) oooooh, Howard, that was a cut, man. Listen, I'd be glad to welcome all the bagels you got, along with a Dunkin' if you have any to spare.

Frankly, I'm wondering how Krispy Kreme is still in business after that accounting scandal a couple years ago. They're a bunch of liars. With yucky donuts.

message 9: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) I like them, myself. They were an oddly happening thing a few years back, cult-y, almost, but you know, they're donuts. I welcome donuts of any provenance.

The DD around the corner from me has free wireless and is always packed. They have outdoor seating, too, which makes it s prime spot to sit and work in the summer. People jockey for tables. Their bagels suck, though.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Being from the east coast, I was very curious about these 'krispy kremes'... and then there was a school fundraiser and all the li'l kiddies were selling dozens of krispy kremes and the parents went nuts, so I thought, here is my chance... and, yeah.. not so much with the kremes. I prefer my odd butternut dunkin' donut (seeing we have a DD about every 2 miles up here).

All in all, I'm with Howard and the bagels.

message 11: by shellyindallas (last edited Mar 15, 2008 08:08AM) (new)

shellyindallas There was no dunkin' donuts where I grew up, even now the closest one is at least 30 min from me. (I think). All that was ever around when I grew up were donut shops called "DONUT". One was no different than another in name, selection, or taste. So I was excited when Krispy Kreme came to TX. I like them. They're best hot.

Then I saw some donut shop about 30 minutes north of Austin touted up on the food network so my boyfriend and I went to check it out. It suuucked.

But yeah, they're definitely one of those foods that sound so good until you eat them and you feel like that guy on Monty Python who can't eat another bite, not even an after dinner mint.

message 12: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Howard... I do ENVY you your bagels out there. My best friend is from Queens originally and she is always kvetching about how what we have out here aren't bagels. I have to agree. Mostly what we seem to have are breadels. I long for a genuine NYC bagel... crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, with that exact right amount of sourness.... with a nice schmear... YUM.

But you can keep your KK donuts, K? Damned racist, southern donuts.

I'll stick with my Enteman's chocolate covered cake donuts, thank you very much.

Or I may be lured to a VooDoo eventually. I think it's a dare, almost.

message 13: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) now there's a donut made just for me. : )

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I don't miss NY at all, but I do miss a good bagel. Your friend is right Char, bagels here suck!

When you come to PDX for your visit, after we have coffee at Powells and peruse the city block sized used book store to our hearts content...I'll take you for a "cock and balls" honey!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2008 07:08AM) (new)

& then, she'll take you to go get some donuts.

message 16: by Kevin (last edited Mar 16, 2008 02:44PM) (new)

Kevin (kevinsampsell) I hate people who don't love donuts. I myself have a deep history with donuts (or doughnuts as some prefer). I worked at the famous Spudnut Shop in Richland, Washington in the mid 80s and they make theirs with potato flour (hence the spud part--they'd whip you if you said "donut")--that's some really good eatin'. Especially when fresh (natch, all pastries are best fresh).
Another favorite donut place of the past was an establishment called Hole in One, but maybe that was just an eastern Washington thing (Spudnuts were once nationwide).
As far as Krispie Kremes go, I must confess that I love me some of that gooey heaven too.

message 17: by Erika (new)

Erika (smick) donuts rule!!! my love might be caused by the wanting those donuts after church growing up... waiting for the announcement of "and today there will be donuts and coffee available". joy joy joy. a donut junkie is made this way.
i have heartily enjoyed the voodoo donut featuring bacon- what ingenious food matching. i used to get a donut everytime i went grocery shopping and eat it while i shopped. sometimes i paid for it, sometimes i didn't. in highschool my breakfast was often the small roll of chocolate-like hostess donettes and a big gulp.
but to be hateful, i hate the spelling 'doughnut' and i don't like Krispy Kremes because i don't see the big whoop on those.

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Amy... awesome sauce!! Powells and VooDoo and cock and balls... I can hardly wait!! Apparently Steve is willing to act in capacity as stud, so my visit to Portland should be entertaining if nothing else!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.