Reading 1001 discussion

The Fall of the House of Usher - an Edgar Allan Poe Short Story
1001 book reviews > The Fall of the House of Usher - Poe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3967 comments Mod
Read 2010

Considered the best of Poe's short stories. A tale told by an unnamed narrator of his boyhood friend Roderick Usher. The narrator has been asked to come visit him. Roderick describes himself as ill. He has a mental illness. The Fall of the House of Usher is both about the house and the family.

Jessica | 65 comments Oh, how I hope my solitary semi-confinement in these Covid-times won't lead to such a hefty mental breakdown.

This is a haunted house story indeed! Glad I could read it in a sunny garden, if read on a stormy night... Who knows what would happen!

The main character in this story gets a summons from a dying friend to visit him. As he is Roderick’s most intimate boyhood friend, the narrator comes at once. However, as the narrator apparently does not know much at all about his best friend—like the basic fact that Roderick has a twin sister? What is real and what is imagined here?

It's amazing how such a short story can capture you and leave you behind in nervous confusion.

Tatjana JP | 280 comments The Fall of the House of Usher is a short gothic story by Edgar Allan Poe. It speaks of Roderick Usher, the last descendant of the Usher family. Everything in the story serves to show the decline of the family and old mansion of the Ushers: they are old, decayed and gloomy. Roderick Usher is mentally disturbed, sensitive, much older and in poor health than his age – he is the symbol of the ancient aristocratic families who are in decline, and sometimes destroy themselves even from within. Whole setting of the story is dark, scary and provides perfect atmosphere. Overall, perfect reading for one (short) afternoon.
My rating: 4 stars.

message 4: by Zeejane (last edited Jul 07, 2021 04:06PM) (new)

Zeejane I've now tried several of Poe's short stories, and as much as I want to like them, I just do not like his writing style. He's way to wordy for my tastes, and overexplains details in a way that's dry and boring. With The Fall of the House of Usher I was left wondering what I was missing. Was the sister a vampire? A ghoul? Ghost? What was this story even about, ugh?!

I was glad it was so short. I think this will be my last attempt at Poe. We're just not connecting at all.