Play Book Tag discussion

The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
This topic is about The Testaments
Footnotes > Handmaid's and The Testaments activity

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Is anyone else paying attention to The Testaments activity? I see that the book has received some negative ratings, but I wonder if some of those were fake ratings (backlash against a commercially successful franchise with the TV show etc., or based on the original book). I can't find any actual reviews on goodreads by someone who read the book. The whole section is clogged with anticipation chit chat.

The Handmaid's Tale is on the Great American Read list, so that group is getting ready to reread the book in preparation for the sequel. If anyone has any great reviews, analysis, or political implications to share, I'd love it if you could come over to share it. Thanks!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I'm setting up the threads now:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6125 comments NancyJ - I seriously doubt you will actually see any real reviews until after it is published on Sept. 10. I'd check Kirkus Reviews, NYTimes Reviews, and the like first before anything posted on Amazon or even GR. I know, I'm a snob, but I find those latter reviews often so misleading ...

Personally I am not planning on reading it, even if it gets rave reviews. I read the Handmaid's Tale way back when and it still haunts me. I don't need that! I also have not watched the series for much the same reasons.

And this has just given me an idea for a Sunday Conversation...

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Apparently any ratings or reviews we see right now are fakes anyway. Here is an article about the security measures they're taking right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/bo...

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6125 comments NancyJ wrote: "Apparently any ratings or reviews we see right now are fakes anyway. Here is an article about the security measures they're taking right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/bo......"

Fascinating and remember this when I post my Sunday Conversagion topic...on Sunday!

message 6: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I’m like you Theresa. I haven’t watched the series and don’t really want to read the Testament

What I do with goodread is slowly collect people to follow after I agree with some of their reviews. It’s still hit and miss but a bit closer to my taste

Nikki | 661 comments This looks like a real review to me - has a couple of quotes & talks about who the main narrator is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...

message 8: by Hebah (last edited Sep 05, 2019 04:00PM) (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Some of the emerging reviews may be real readers. Bookstores had to sign agreements that they would not release the book earlier than release day, but a certain online retailer that tends to dominate the book market released about 700 copies a week early. So. I'm sure they'll face the same consequences of a small brick and mortar who broke the rules, she says, sarcastically.

Edit to add, story from Publishers Weekly: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6125 comments If you are seeing reviews in legitimate publications like Washington Post, Publisher's Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, etc. those are real and were timed to be released just as the book is being released. Publishers would have solicited those reviews with ARC of course. It's the non-official publication reviews that I find highly suspect - on Amazon, GR, blogs, etc.

Nicole D. | 1470 comments I don't believe there were ARC's of this book in the traditional sense. The booker team had to sign a massive NDA so I'd be skeptical about the reviews.

I will read it no matter what reviews say

message 11: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I read the NY Times article you linked to
I find it really weird that they put in the Booker a book that haven’t been published yet. But obviously I never read the rules of this competition.

It just feels like a advertising ploy
And they say in the article that Atwood actually changed the text after they sent the copies for the judges. So basically they are judging a not even finalised text.
It’s all very bizarre

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments The first book won a Booker, and the story really is ripe for a conclusion. Honestly, I don't think the sequel really needs the Booker, or any advertising help at this point.

Amazon mistakenly sent out quite a few copies Wednesday by mistake. I wonder how that happened! So far I've managed to ignore the reviews and articles. It's only a few days away now, so I might actually be able to read it before I get other people's opinions in my head. I'm going to pick up the graphic novel to refresh my memory of The Handmaid's Tale.

message 13: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3058 comments Idit wrote: "I read the NY Times article you linked to
I find it really weird that they put in the Booker a book that haven’t been published yet. But obviously I never read the rules of this competition.

It j..."

I thought the exact same thing... but I guess the judges get early review copies for the competition, not sure how it works.

message 14: by Nicole R (last edited Sep 06, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Hamdmaid’s Tale didn’t win the Booker, it was shortlisted though.

Atwood won for something else...Alias Grace, maybe?

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Or, maybe it was Blind Assassin. Crap, now I need to look it up!

message 16: by Nicole R (last edited Sep 06, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments She won for Blind Assassin.

But, dang, she has a lot of noms!
Cat’s Eye
Oryx and Crake
Alias Grace
Handmaid’s Tale
Testaments (maybe a win?!)

message 17: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2715 comments Blind Assassin was very innovative in its structure. Booker judges seem to like that. I've read all of those books except Cat's Eye. I do agrees that Assassin was the best of her impressive list.

message 18: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Jgrace wrote: "Blind Assassin was very innovative in its structure. Booker judges seem to like that. I've read all of those books except Cat's Eye. I do agrees that Assassin was the best of her impressive list."

I eventually want to read some of her other stuff! Though, it is hard for me to imagine loving anything more than I loved Oryx and Crake! That remains one of my favorite books of all time.

Susie | 4488 comments I cannot wait for The Testaments. I’m going to be reading it on the 10th. I’m a HUGE Handmaid’s fan, both the novel and the show. I’m not reading any of the published reviews until I’ve read it myself. It really is the most eagerly anticipated novel of the modern age, isn’t it? I feel like it’s more hyped than Go Set a Watchman.

Nicole, your love for Oryx and Crake makes me want to go back and try again.

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8037 comments Susie wrote: "I feel like it’s more hyped than Go Set a Watchman. ..."

I suspect it is, and I'd guess it's because of the tv show.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Susie wrote: "I cannot wait for The Testaments. I’m going to be reading it on the 10th. I’m a HUGE Handmaid’s fan, both the novel and the show. I’m not reading any of the published reviews until I’ve read it mys..."

LibraryCin wrote: "Susie wrote: "I feel like it’s more hyped than Go Set a Watchman. ..."

I suspect it is, and I'd guess it's because of the tv show."

Me too! I haven't seen any advertising for the book, unlike the TV show when it came out. It's funny, I didn't watch the TV show when it was winning awards, but I'm considering watching it this weekend instead of rereading the book.

message 22: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I think the most eagerly anticipated novel of the modern age is probably Harry Potter, but you guys are raising my curiosity. I had my issues with handmaid’s tale but if a lot of you end up loving it I will consider reading the new one

I read somewhere that Atwood wrote the book as a reaction to radical feminism and not to reactionary religions. It made me less excited about the book because the “thought police” of the radical feminism never did put anyone in danger. Maybe challenged people a bit, maybe made some feel judged - but it’s nothing compared with what it came against

Not sure if it’s true but if so - it makes me like Handsmaid tale less