Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Assigning book to correct author

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (goodreaderreads) | 5 comments Hi all, I'm a Goodreads librarian as a hobby only sparingly, and I've come across an issue that I don't know how to resolve.

There are two different authors named Thomas Mann, and obviously the one that comes up on the search results is the famous novelist. However, there is also Thomas Mann, who is a library science author and does not show up on the add book/author search results (I had to manually include the link here for him to show up correctly).

This issue has been detailed in this previous thread.

Thankfully, the first result for his book The Oxford Guide to Library Research is indexed properly, however, the second result is not (it is listed under the novelist Thomas Mann). I attempted to edit the author of the incorrect listing so I can then combine the editions under the correct author. However, I couldn't figure out how to do it, because "Thomas Mann" is the name for both.

I know there's a way to do this that I've just not learned yet. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thank you,
Rebecca

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16334 comments You would need to add an extra space in the name to get the book to the other Thomas Mann.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (goodreaderreads) | 5 comments Scott wrote: "You would need to add an extra space in the name to get the book to the other Thomas Mann."

Thank you. I knew it had to be something simple. It looks like someone's already fixed it all for me.