The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

117 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Erin's Task

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Great task! I think it'll be a good TBR pile-clearer :D Starting in already with the questions...Sorry!

Just wanted to confirm whether A or An would count as the first letter in the title?



message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 690 comments Erin, can you feel the hug? Love this task, even with the three reads, because you solved my problem of where to put a few books. Thanks so much!!!


message 3: by Beth (last edited Sep 01, 2009 09:23PM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Yes! I LOVE tasks like this one that let me use books I already own because I seriously need to get that unread shelf under control!!!!!


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Great task - I had an H and an I that I was trying to find a home for, so all I needed was to find a J.

YAY.


message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I love this task aswell. I had 2 books from the library that I really wanted to read that didn't fit anywhere into the challenge. So I used those and found the third on the high on the list tbr pile! So three books I really wanted to read next that I can now fit into the challenge. An added bonus is that one of them is one of my missing letters for my A_Z challenge!


message 6: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 933 comments This task completely finished out my list (without moving anything else around!) And like others who have posted, already had 2 I wanted to fit in (a D and a F). I looked at my bookshelf and immediately pulled an E. Thanks Erin!


message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Just want to check...if a title begins with "the" we just skip that word? If I want to read The City of Ember I could read it for the letter C?




message 8: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Lyn wrote: "Great task - I had an H and an I that I was trying to find a home for, so all I needed was to find a J.

YAY."


....or a 'G' book would work too. :-)




message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Kristina wrote: "Great task! I think it'll be a good TBR pile-clearer :D Starting in already with the questions...Sorry!

Just wanted to confirm whether A or An would count as the first letter in the title?
"


Yes, A or An would count for a book that starts with "A"



message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Michelle wrote: "Just want to check...if a title begins with "the" we just skip that word? If I want to read The City of Ember I could read it for the letter C?

"


Yes, you can skip "the"


message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments I'm so glad you liked the challenge! This time around I'm trying to use books that are on my request list at the library, and I figured this would be a great way to fit some of those in :) Happy Reading!


message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Erin, to clarify - from the way the task was written it sounds like we CAN use "The" if we want it to be a "T" book, but we can also skip it if we don't. Is that correct?


message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Leslie wrote: "Erin, to clarify - from the way the task was written it sounds like we CAN use "The" if we want it to be a "T" book, but we can also skip it if we don't. Is that correct?"

Yes, you can use "the" for a book that starts with the letter T, and skip it for any other letters in the alphabet


message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Perfect, thank you!


message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Lyn - I have a J book in my TBR - Jane Austen Ruined My Life. It looked neat and hilarious.


message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 662 comments Lyn wrote: "Great task - I had an H and an I that I was trying to find a home for, so all I needed was to find a J.

YAY."


I think I'm going to go with the H-I-J combo as well. I didn't have many J's popping out at me. I'm curious to see what you pick. Here are some of my J's from my lists (TBR and Read):

The Jane Austen Book Club (I own it but have not read b/c people really seem to dislike it)
Jewel (Oprah's Book Club) (TBR)
The Joy Luck Club (good book)
Jazz (TBR)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (great book)
Jim the Boy A Novel (TBR)
Janet and Jackie The Story of a Mother and Her Daughter, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (TBR)



message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 662 comments Patricia wrote: "Lyn wrote: "Great task - I had an H and an I that I was trying to find a home for, so all I needed was to find a J.

YAY."

I think I'm going to go with the H-I-J combo as well. I didn't hav..."<

Actually, didn't even think of G's. Maybe I'll decide between these:

The Grapes of Wrath
The God of Small Things
The Gambler / Bobok / A Nasty Story
The Golden Notebook
Gone With The Wind (if I tackle something that long)
Other G books I enjoyed (if you're interested):
Gulliver's Travels
The Glass Castle A Memoir
Great Expectations
The Great Gatsby/The Last Tycoon (I'm rereading for the HS challenge)



message 18: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Erin, I know we can use graphic novels for Cynthia's tasks, but I just wanted to check if you were OK with it, too.

I'm going for the S-T-U combo with:
The Sandman Vol. 8 Worlds' End
This Republic of Suffering Death and the American Civil War
The Uncommon Reader A Novella

But no worries, I have a replacement S in line if Sandman doesn't work :)


message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Lyn, you could read the Julia & Julia Group Reads book!


message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Erin - I know this seems silly, but would it be okay if I read 3 books by the same author from the same series for this task? I love the Sue Grafton alphabet series and happen to have F is for Fugitive, G is for Gumshoe and H is for Homicide on my owned & TBR shelf.




message 21: by Erin (last edited Sep 05, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Kristina wrote: "Erin, I know we can use graphic novels for Cynthia's tasks, but I just wanted to check if you were OK with it, too.

I'm going for the S-T-U combo with:
[book:The Sandman Vol. 8 Worlds' End|25103..."


Those are fine :)


message 22: by Erin (last edited Sep 05, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Katie wrote: "Erin - I know this seems silly, but would it be okay if I read 3 books by the same author from the same series for this task? I love the Sue Grafton alphabet series and happen to have [book:F is fo..."

Those will work!


message 23: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I'm not planning to do this, but can you wrap around the end of the alphabet? Z-A-B, etc.?

I've got a B and C I need to read... and I've got a couple A and D titles I could choose from... it'll depend on what I feel like reading when I get to that point...


message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I'm not planning to do this, but can you wrap around the end of the alphabet? Z-A-B, etc.?

I've got a B and C I need to read... and I've got a couple A and D titles I could choose from... it'll d..."


Sure - I hadn't thought of that - good idea!


message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Thanks Erin! I can't wait to start this task!


message 26: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Hi Erin:

Since we have the option to drop the word 'The' if the title of a book starts with it, I'm wondering if we can have the same option with the word'A' if a title stars with it.

I'm about one third of the way through Diana Gabaldon's mammoth book; A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Somehow I completely overlooked the fact that this book started with 'A'. Im my mind the title was "Breath of Snow and Ashes". I have is slotted for the 'B' book in my ABC titles. I've already read the 'A' book for task.

Here's hoping I can have the opition to drop the 'A' from this title. If not, I'll save the rest of the book for the next challenge, and find a new 'B' book. No worries either way though!

Thanks!! -Krista


message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Krista wrote: "Hi Erin:

Since we have the option to drop the word 'The' if the title of a book starts with it, I'm wondering if we can have the same option with the word'A' if a title stars with it.

I'..."


That would be ok Krista




message 28: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Erin wrote: "Krista wrote: "Hi Erin:

Since we have the option to drop the word 'The' if the title of a book starts with it, I'm wondering if we can have the same option with the word'A' if a title stars wi..."


Whew, thanks Erin. I'll keep chugging away on the book then. :-)




back to top