Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Looking for a Project? > All Book Series by Patricia Cornwell

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Midwest (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments There are several issues associated with the "Kay Scarpetta" series. Even though Patricia Cornwell has published 24 books in the Kay Scarpetta series, this does not appear among the series listed on her All Book Series list nor on her author page. Can you add it?

Might the problem be that, on the first in the series, Postmortem, her name appears as "Patricia Daniels Cornwell"? The link associated with that name is to an otherwise empty page instead of to the "Patricia Cornwell" page. This may also account for the fact that Postmortem does not appear among the books listed on her main author page. Perhaps her full name should be given as an AKA there?

Can you straighten out this mess?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
Midwest wrote: "Perhaps her full name should be given as an AKA there?"

The earliest editions of that book have Patricia Daniels Cornwell on the cover. So edits are needed -- to add that as the first author for all the editions of that work. Which will be quite a project, so I'm moving this thread to the appropriate folder.

message 3: by Midwest (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:42AM) (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments rivka wrote: "Midwest wrote: "Perhaps her full name should be given as an AKA there?"

The earliest editions of that book have Patricia Daniels Cornwell on the cover. So edits are needed -- to add that as the fi..."

If I look on amazon.com at the earliest hardcover edition from Jan 9, 1990, they have given the author's name as Patricia Cornwell (contrary to the cover). On another early edition from 1990, they even used a later edition for their cover image. Thus, it appears on amazon as Book #1 in the series.

It appears that only two of the 155 GR editions have been entered under "Patricia Daniels Cornwell" as primary, having "Patricia Cornwell" as secondary. Wouldn't it be much simpler to follow amazon's lead and change these two, making "Patricia Cornwell" the first-named author with "Patricia Daniels Cornwell" as the alternate? It's clear from all evidence on her home page and publisher's page, the former has become her public name, starting with the second book in the series.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
Please see: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/... (See: Author pseudonyms/pen names)
For books published under multiple versions of the author's name or published under multiple pseudonyms: The first author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 5: by Midwest (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments rivka wrote: "Please see: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/... (See: Author pseudonyms/pen names)

For books published under multiple versions of the author's name or..."

Seems that your manual needs updating to allow for a case like this, where it conflicts with common sense as well as standard practice elsewhere, in particular, on amazon.

Fortunately, I doubt anyone will take up your "project" to change 153 listings. The fact that this requires individual editing shows just how out of date GR software is. Any modern editor for staff or senior Librarians would allow a change to all editions with this title. I fear for GR's future.

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments Midwest wrote: "I doubt anyone will take up your "project" to change 153 listings."

You underestimate our stubborness in getting things correct :) Many of us regularly take on far larger (and more thankless) projects because we enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.

message 7: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19902 comments rivka wrote: "The earliest editions of that book have Patricia Daniels Cornwell on the cover. So edits are needed -- to add that as the first author for all the editions of that work. "

Done.
(At least for now, not sure how long it will last. I've left a Librarian note on the Patricia Daniels Cornwell profile)

Emy wrote: "You underestimate our stubborness in getting things correct :) Many of us regularly take on far larger (and more thankless) projects because we enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done."

Indeed.

message 8: by Midwest (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments But the original problems I raised persist. I suppose you can say they are NMP. Do I have to enter it again into Book Issues?

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13555 comments Midwest wrote: "But the original problems I raised persist. I suppose you can say they are NMP. Do I have to enter it again into Book Issues?"

The original problems are due to Goodreads programming. A series will only show on the first listed author's page. Nothing librarians can do about that.

message 10: by Midwest (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments In that case, it would have been better for GR to modify its policy. Here we have an example in which the best known and most widely read series by an author does not appear on the author's page, "Postmortem" is the most popular of her series, having 196,060 ratings at the moment.

Someone amended the Patricia Daniels Cornwell page to point to "Patricia Cornwell", but there is no comment on the author's "Patricia Cornwell" page. There ought to be an AKA note as well as a pointer to the "Kay Scarpetta Series." I'm sure someone will point out that having taken ownership, the author's page is the author's responsibility.

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13555 comments Midwest wrote: "I'm sure someone will point out that having taken ownership, the author's page is the author's responsibility."

Exactly. Librarians cannot edit Goodreads Authors' pages, only the author themselves and staff can.

And it's no use complaining here about the policy, since librarians cannot do anything about that either. Complain to staff if you must: https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.