Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Absalon, Absalon !
This topic is about Absalon, Absalon !
Book Cover Help > New book cover to upload

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flo (last edited Sep 04, 2019 10:22AM) (new) - added it

Flo | 39 comments Hi - Could you please add this Gallimard - L'imaginaire cover edition of ABSALON, ABSALON by William Faulkner please ?

Cover is here : https://www.amazon.fr/Absalon-Absalon...

Book is here : https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

ISBN is matching --> 978-2070757008

Thank you very much.

message 2: by Flo (new) - added it

Flo | 39 comments Anyone, please ?

message 3: by Lais (new)

Lais | 187 comments Can another librarian take a look at this?
I tried dealing with this request, Flo, but the problem is, on looking up the ISBN I did find this blue cover linked to this ISBN. Which would indicate that the cover you linked, the one with the title written in yellow in a cross shape would be an alternate cover edition, that is, a new edition of the book with a new cover but the same ISBN. That'd be no problem to solve, I can add a new cover edition, BUT in order to do that I need to know which one is the latest edition. That's when it starts getting complicated. The one you linked was published on the 22nd of February of 2000. The only source I found for the blue cover (the one currently on GR for this ISBN) is amazon.ca (https://www.amazon.ca/ABSALON-WILLIAM...). There it says that the publish date is the 10th of April of 2000, which would be then a later edition than the one you linked, although weirdly with only two months difference between the two editions. But that doesn't seem to make sense because looking up this ISBN, this is the only source I find with the blue cover, everywhere else shows me the cover with the cross. The publisher's website only shows the cover with the cross, and not the blue one. It can't be that the blue one is really a later edition. So to me, it all seems to indicate that the blue cover is not the real cover, maybe it was a temporary cover before the real one was revealed or something like that. But without knowing for sure, I can't change it because, according to the librarian manual, "changing the cover of an existing edition is a violation of Goodreads policy. Some people may have added the existing edition with that specific cover because it is the one they own.".
I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Maybe a more experienced librarian could give me a hint?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41690 comments Mod
Lais wrote: "The one you linked was published on the 22nd of February of 2000."

Originally. Not necessarily with this cover. Amazon does not generally update the publication date if the cover changes.

An ACE may be appropriate, if it does not already exist.

message 5: by Lais (new)

Lais | 187 comments rivka wrote: "Lais wrote: "The one you linked was published on the 22nd of February of 2000."

Originally. Not necessarily with this cover. Amazon does not generally update the publication date if the cover chan..."

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks!

message 6: by Lais (last edited Sep 06, 2019 12:10AM) (new)

Lais | 187 comments Flo wrote: "Anyone, please ?"

Hi Flo,
Here's the link to the alternate cover edition with this ISBN: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41690 comments Mod
Remember, ACEs get pub dates of the cover change, or the best approximation thereof. The previous cover appears to have been uploaded to Goodreads sometime between 2007 and 2012. (It's not logged, and we started doing that in 2012.) It's also still on Amazon, which implies the change was relatively recent. I would set the pub date to 2017 (no day or month) and add to the Note a statement that the pub date for this ACE is approximate and should be corrected if a more exact date is known.

message 8: by Lais (new)

Lais | 187 comments rivka wrote: "Remember, ACEs get pub dates of the cover change, or the best approximation thereof. The previous cover appears to have been uploaded to Goodreads sometime between 2007 and 2012. (It's not logged, ..."

Ok