75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
25 views
2016-2021 Chat > 3rd Annual Kingtober

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2019 07:28AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
It's that time of year again! Welcome to the 3rd Annual Kingtober, where we read Stephen King in October! I personally will be reading -only- Stephen King (& Joe Hill/Owen King/Tabitha King) for the whole month! :)

Here are some readathons going on in September/October as well:
Readers Imbibing Peril #14 Sept 1-Oct 31
Castle Macabre's Something Wicked Fall Sept 1-Oct 31 with a Doctor Sleep readalong!
Seasons of Reading's FrightFall Oct 1-31 (no post yet)
Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon Oct 26-27

Who else plans on reading at least one Stephen King (or family) in October?


message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2019 04:52AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Dewey's sign-up post went up today and that got me thinking about and starting to organize my King pile! Had to rearrange holds on Overdrive and such! :)

TBR:
Duma Key physical own
The Institute physical own
Wizard and Glass physical own
Night Shift physical own
The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead physical own
The Dark Tower: Battle of Jericho Hill physical own
Creepshow physical own
Heart-Shaped Box e-book own
Full Throttle e-book own
The Fireman Overdrive audio available
Wolverton Station Overdrive e-book hold suspended till 9/25
Strange Weather Overdrive audio hold suspended till 10/2
Horns Overdrive audio hold 8 weeks
Blood and Smoke Overdrive audio hold suspended till 10/8


message 3: by Karina (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:16AM) (new)

Karina | 810 comments I think I will plan one reading on Stephen King book, Joyland. I have a pile of other books that I need to read but with Joyland, I will not only knock another read what I own book, but I will also hit the J on the alphabet list!


message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
I'm going to pass on Kingtober. I'm 1 book away from completing my goal of 125 but I'm 30 book behind on reading my own shelves. My original goal was 60 and I really want to get it done!


message 5: by Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs (last edited Sep 04, 2019 10:32AM) (new)

 Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 178 comments Due to recent synchronous acquisitions, my King stack (which now includes the King/King collaboration Sleeping Beauties) is, literally, chest high.

I plan to read:
The Institute
Elevation
Revival
(All Kindle reads)

Rereads:
Lisey's Story
Duma Key
Bag of Bones
From a Buick 8

Maybe Rereads: It
Illustrated hardcover[book:Double Feature'Salem's Lot|5413]
Doctor Sleep
Horns
Heart-Shaped Box
Some of the short story collections.

Possible first-time reads:
Double Feature
We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories


message 6: by Juli, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 08:37AM) (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I will join! Duh! I love me some Stevie!

The books on my list are:
1) The Institute The Institute by Stephen King
2) Revival Revival by Stephen King
3) Different Seasons Different Seasons by Stephen King
4) The Drawing of the Three The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2) by Stephen King
5) Carrie (reread) Carrie by Stephen King


message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Ooooh y'all we got some buddy reads!! :D I want The Institute to be my first read since I will have had it for THREE WEEKS by the time October starts. lol. Juli & Mallory interested?


message 8: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I am SUPER interested but have to be honest, I am not sure I will be able to wait once the book is in my hands!!!!


message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 227 comments I'm definitely in. I know I won't be able to finish all of these but I have Gerald's Game by Stephen King , The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King , Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King , Pet Sematary by Stephen King , The Long Walk by Richard Bachman , and Apt Pupil by Stephen King as my options. I'd love to finish 2-3 books on my list.

I also have Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4) by Stephen King , and The Institute by Stephen King but I'm planning on reading them in September, so hopefully I will have them finished by the time October comes around.


message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 227 comments Elyse wrote: "Dewey's sign-up post went up today and that got me thinking about and starting to organize my King pile! Had to rearrange holds on Overdrive and such! :)

TBR:
Duma Key physical own
[..."


Where did you find The Dark Tower: The Fall of Gilead, and The Dark Tower: Battle of Jericho Hill? I'm currently making my way through The Dark Tower series, and I've never heard of these.


message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 227 comments Juli wrote: "I will join! Duh! I love me some Stevie!

The books on my list are:
1) The Institute
2) Revival
3) Different Seasons
4) The Drawing of the Three
5) Carrie (reread)"


The Drawing of the Three is my favorite Dark Tower book so far. I hope you enjoy it.


message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Kayla wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dewey's sign-up post went up today and that got me thinking about and starting to organize my King pile! Had to rearrange holds on Overdrive and such! :)

TBR:
Duma Key ..."


They are part of the graphic novel collection! The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) Series There are 5 prequels and #6 goes along with The Gunslinger. I really enjoy them! I probably won't continue after the first 5 as I am already reading the original DT novels and don't care to overlap.


message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Kayla wrote: "I'm definitely in. I know I won't be able to finish all of these but I have Gerald's Game by Stephen King, The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King, Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King,..."

I read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, and Pet Sematary earlier this year! Oooh The Long Walk and Gerald's Game, I should add those to my list since I own them. So I can finally watch the GG Netflix movie. lol.


message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2019 12:35PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Autumn Is Azathoth wrote: "Due to recent synchronous acquisitions, my King stack (which now includes the King/King collaboration Sleeping Beauties) is, literally, chest high.

I plan to read:..."


Oooh we could buddy read Duma Key! It's like #2 on my list from recommendations. lol.


message 15: by Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs (last edited Sep 04, 2019 03:44PM) (new)

 Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 178 comments Elyse wrote: "Ooooh y'all we got some buddy reads!! :D I want The Institute to be my first read since I will have had it for THREE WEEKS by the time October starts. lol. Juli & Mallory interested?"

Yes! I plan to read it while it's new; I've let Elevation languish for a solid year. Revival longer than that.

Yes, anytime to Duma Key, Lisey's Story
Bag of Bones
From a Buick 8
Christine


message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1739 comments I'm in! I have no idea what I'll be reading, lol, but I've got lots to choose from :)


message 17: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Kayla wrote: "I'm definitely in. I know I won't be able to finish all of these but I have Gerald's Game by Stephen King, The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King, Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King, [bookcover:Pet Sematar..."

Maybe we could buddy read The Institute if others want to wait until October?


message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2629 comments I'm in. Plan to read:

1. Under the Dome
2. Joyland
3. Carrie

I wish I could find the short story, Sometimes They Come Back. I don't think there is a library copy in the whole state!


message 19: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I'm in. Plan to read:

1. Under the Dome
2. Joyland
3. Carrie

I wish I could find the short story, Sometimes They Come Back. I don't think there is a library copy in the whole state!"


Wish I could fit in Under the Dome! It's a biggie!


message 20: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1363 comments I'm actually reading Christine right now, and I usually like to space out my King reads a little more. BUT, I forgot he had a new one coming out so soon. Just put a hold on The Institute and I'm #2 in line so the timing will probably work out well for that. I've also been wanting to read more of his short stories so I'm thinking I might pick up Night Shift in between whatever else I'm reading that month.


message 21: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 227 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I'm definitely in. I know I won't be able to finish all of these but I have Gerald's Game by Stephen King, The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King, Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King,..."

I r..."


That's why I'm reading them too. He has so many movies that are either coming out soon, or have recently come out. I really want to read the books before I watch any of the movies though.


message 22: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I'm in. Plan to read:

1. Under the Dome
2. Joyland
3. Carrie

I wish I could find the short story, Sometimes They Come Back. I don't think there is a library copy in the whole state!"


Carol, I hope you'll love Carrie!


message 23: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I'm in. Plan to read:

1. Under the Dome
2. Joyland
3. Carrie

I wish I could find the short story, Sometimes They Come Back. I don't think there is a library copy in the whole state!"


Carol, you can find this short story for free online. I didn't want to post a link because I actually don't know the legality of this. There are multiple sites and they seem legit and I know King sometimes releases his short stories for free online but just use at your own judgment.


message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 09, 2019 01:09PM) (new)

I've just joined the group and would love to join in on this, I read a bunch of King's books years ago but haven't picked one up in ages. With all the hoopla going on right now about IT, I'd like to read it in October :)

Reading Plan:
- It


message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
ZeeJane wrote: "I've just joined the group and would love to join in on this, I read a bunch of King's books years ago but haven't picked one up in ages. With all the hoopla going on right now about IT, I'd like t..."

Welcome!! Someday I'll tackle IT! lol. If you put "It Stephen" it should populate with the book. "It" is probably too general.


message 26: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
Welcome ZeeJane! The buddy reads are a great way to jump in and get to know members :)


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Elyse wrote: "ZeeJane wrote: "I've just joined the group and would love to join in on this, I read a bunch of King's books years ago but haven't picked one up in ages. With all the hoopla going on right now abou..."

that worked, thanks!


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "Welcome ZeeJane! The buddy reads are a great way to jump in and get to know members :)"

I'll have to take a peek in that section, thanks!


message 29: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
ZeeJane wrote: "I've just joined the group and would love to join in on this, I read a bunch of King's books years ago but haven't picked one up in ages. With all the hoopla going on right now about IT, I'd like t..."

I loved this book. It shows his mastery in weaving together completely different timelines!


message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Gah, my beautiful hardcover of The Institute came yesterday and it's a good thing I really have other books I NEED to read or I would've called out of work today. lol.


 Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 178 comments I know that usually new releases on Kindle arrive at 12:01 AM. So yesterday I opened my Kindle content at 11:56 PM and held my breath. I had forgotten I had 4 or 5 releases coming. 12:01: a science fiction title, no The Institute. "WHAT? WHERE IS IT??"
12:02. 12:03. 12:04. 12:05. 12;06.
IT'S HERE!! FINALLY! HOW LONG TILL OCT. 1?

LOL.


Elyse wrote: "Gah, my beautiful hardcover of The Institute came yesterday and it's a good thing I really have other books I NEED to read or I would've called out of work today. lol."


message 32: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
My beautiful book arrived too. I don't think I can hold out until October 1st. I wil create a buddy read thread for the Institute.


message 33: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1668 comments Don't think I'll be reading any more King this year but I did a few earlier. Although I did read Children of the Corn last month and watched the original movie. I loved Gerald's Game but I still haven't watched the movie yet.

Finally watched It Chapter 2 today and really liked it.

I'm slowly making my way through the King adaptations and I've got so many to get to still. This year for Halloween I finally want to watch Salem's Lot, as that's one of the earliest ones I've read and still haven't watched. I saw they remade it, but I've really been wanting to check out the original miniseries-to-movie they did. That one still of the boy in the window is so creepy and it was my favourite scene in the book so I'm excited to get to it this Halloween.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

My library hold of It came in a lot sooner than I expected and I picked it up this afternoon-this thing is HUGE! I'm in so much trouble, LOL.


message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 373 comments I'll read at least one Stephen King book. I have one I own that I never read, The Eyes of the Dragon. No idea what it is about but I'll find out. I also picked up 2 other books by King from the library today.


message 36: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
ZeeJane wrote: "My library hold of It came in a lot sooner than I expected and I picked it up this afternoon-this thing is HUGE! I'm in so much trouble, LOL."

I was thinking of re-reading it soon but then I remembered that it is like 1200 pages ... I can read almost three new books in that time!


message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2629 comments Sarah wrote: "I'll read at least one Stephen King book. I have one I own that I never read, The Eyes of the Dragon. No idea what it is about but I'll find out. I also picked up 2 other books by King from the lib..."

I liked Eyes of the Dragon. Read it a long time ago, but it reminded me of 12th century European history. Hope you enjoy it.


message 38: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments I plan to read a King book in Kingtober. Not sure which one yet but it will probably whichever one I can get from the library in time. They are so popular in October.


message 39: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments I have one non-ficton book to finish up the Read Harder Challenge. Other than that all my books in October will be Horror/Thriller books and naturally, for me, that includes one or two books by Stephen King. I'll be reading one or both of the following in October:
The Institute by Stephen King or The Outsider (Holly Gibney, #1) by Stephen King


message 40: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
I'm starting The Institute tomorrow, who wants to buddy read?!


message 41: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I'm starting The Institute tomorrow, who wants to buddy read?!"

Elyse, I will join!!!! I had so much travel in September I got barely any reading done. I always think plane rides will be conducive to reading and never end up working out because I need to get work done or need to catch up on sleep.


message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 01, 2019 04:03AM) (new)

It's October 1st, woot! Though I did get a bit of a jump start on It this past weekend, just to start easing into it due to its size lol.

So far I'm really enjoying the story but it's going to be a slow read-besides the insane length there's also a ton of character introductions going on at the beginning, over different time lines, and it's taking me a while to get through it all, (also have to keep flipping back for name references etc).

I'm 100 pages in right now and anticipate that this will take me the whole month to read and will be my only book this month.


message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I'm starting The Institute tomorrow, who wants to buddy read?!"

Elyse, I will join!!!! I had so much travel in September I got barely any reading done. I always think..."


Thread here! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I would've set it up last night but we had to take one of my dogs to the emergency vet. She's okay! Weird situation, she seemed to be choking on something but the vet couldn't find anything in the X-rays. Peace of mind though. She's our baby girl!! ❤


message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Oh and I started listening to Strange Weather this morning!


message 45: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1363 comments I'm currently in the middle of Into the Drowning Deep (also a good, creepy October book), but I went to the library today to pick up Night Shift so I can get started on some short stories. I'm on hold for both the physical and ebook versions of The Institute so I can join the buddy read as soon as one of those is ready.


message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
Charleen wrote: "I'm currently in the middle of Into the Drowning Deep (also a good, creepy October book), but I went to the library today to pick up Night Shift so I can get started on..."

Woot!


message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Charleen-just added Into the Drowning Deep to my TBR list, sound like something I'd really enjoy :)

Elyse-glad your dog is ok! Years ago we had a dog that got into my disposable razors and swallowed a razor head! Emergency vet could see it on x-ray but the surgery would have been a lot of money and we were broke college students so we couldn't afford it. We brought her into our vet the next day to put her down and vet did a second x-ray, silly dog had passed it on her own and was totally fine! Craziest thing ever.


message 48: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7456 comments Mod
ZeeJane wrote: "Charleen-just added Into the Drowning Deep to my TBR list, sound like something I'd really enjoy :)

Elyse-glad your dog is ok! Years ago we had a dog that got into my disposable razors and swallo..."


OMG!!! How horrifying! Thank goodness the vet did a second X-ray!! I hope she lived a long life after that!


message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1739 comments I finished Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King and have started 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King . (My library doesn't currently have The Institute available so it looks like I'll miss out on that Buddy Read :( Oh, well... maybe next time.)


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacie wrote: "I finished Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King and have started 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. (My library doesn't currently have The Institute available so it looks like I'll ..."

I really want to read Salem's Lot, think that will be my next King book!


« previous 1 3
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.