Read With Jenna (Official) discussion

The Dearly Beloved
This topic is about The Dearly Beloved
Announcements > Our September book club pick is The Dearly Beloved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (last edited Sep 04, 2019 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Hager (jennabushhager) | 174 comments Mod
Just one day after her August book club announcement, our fearless reader Jenna Bush Hager welcomed the littlest member to the #ReadWithJenna family — her son Hal!
While she's enjoying her maternity leave, Jenna shared a video on TODAY to announce her latest book club pick.

Jenna's pick for September is "The Dearly Beloved," by Cara Wall. Click here to get you copy and join us today!

"It’s a book about faith, friendship, relationships, and what connects us," Jenna said of her selection.

The novel follows two couples brought together to lead an historic church in New York City during the 1960s and traces the course of their lives before and after they intersect.

The four main characters are all from different parts of the U.S. and different family backgrounds — as they're forced to grapple with challenging circumstances during a tumultuous era in our country's history, their past continues to shape the decisions they make and their faith continues to shift.

"Each couple has struggles — some of which are secret, some of which become well known. These struggles force them to come together, become stronger and find faith in each other as well as in a higher power," Jenna explained.

While the book begins in another era, the relationships it presents feel just as relevant today.

"The relationship dynamics seem universal," Jenna said. "The way they lean on each other and love each other — and how the dynamics shift through some heartbreaking moments — reminds me of other couples that I know."

Not only is it the kind of story you'll want to discuss with your book club, but it's the kind of book you may want to share with your partner, too.

"I think it would be really interesting to read with your spouse and with friends," Jenna explained. "I told Henry right after I finished it that I thought he should read it."

Above all, "The Dearly Beloved" is a gracefully written novel that will have you savoring each sentence.

"I couldn’t help but underline these beautiful passages about life and faith and love," said Jenna.

We hope you'll join us in reading this month. Tell us what you think of our September pick.

To stay involved all month long, be sure to follow us on Instagram (don't forget to tag your photos with the hashtag, #ReadWithJenna) and follow along on Goodreads to continue the conversation about "The Dearly Beloved."

message 2: by Mamey (new)

Mamey (mameysmedley) | 1 comments Oh this sounds great! I look forward to reading it. I just found out about your book club so I am excited to be a part of this! YAY