Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2020 > September Reads - 2020

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 254 comments Mod
¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market by Raúl Gonzalez III ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market by Raúl Gonzalez III.

Linus The Little Yellow Pencil by Scott Magoon Linus The Little Yellow Pencil by Scott Magoon.

If I Was the Sunshine by Julie Fogliano If I Was the Sunshine by Julie Fogliano with contributions from Loren Long.

Where Are You From? by Yamile Saied Méndez Where Are You From? by Yamile Saied Méndez and illustrated by Jamie Kim

These titles are getting good reviews but are not gathering quite as much attention as some of the other books we have read.

What did you think of them?

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 375 comments Linus the Little Yellow Pencil
This darling story is about a pencil, Linus, that enters an art contest, but the eraser at the other end of Linus keeps erasing all his efforts. Linus is a bit disheartened, but the eraser finally decides to work with Linus instead of against him, and they create some amazing collage art using drawings on post-it notes. There are no people in this book, only art supplies like crayons, paintbrushes, pens, scissors, etc., all of which are chock full of personality, especially Linus and his eraser.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 375 comments Vamos! Let's Go to the Market
Partly graphic novel-style--some pages are in panels, and other pages are single- or double-page spreads. The author/illustrator also illustrated Lowriders to the Center of the Earth, so the artwork looks similar to that book, but this one is in full color.

message 4: by Beverly (last edited Sep 08, 2019 09:53PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 375 comments If I Was the Sunshine
On one double-page spread is an "If I were" statement, followed by a double-page spread which states what "you" would do. The lyrical text deals with a number of different themes, from seasons and plants to animals and geographic features. An oversize picture book with very large, appealing acrylic paintings that would be perfect for sharing with a group. I liked this one best of these four books.

message 5: by Beverly (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:52AM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 375 comments Where Are You From?
This lyrical text may encourage young children to ask their parents or grandparents about their family's history and origins. The watercolor and digital illustrations are warm and inviting, and move the text along admirably.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 347 comments Vamos! Let's Go to the Market is wonderful! It is my favorite out of all of these titles. I think it is most deserving of a Caldecott. It will probably win a Pura Belpre award instead.

message 7: by ASE (new)

ASE | 18 comments These were all good, but honestly, I didn't find any of them in particular extraordinary or instant classics, especially artistically

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 87 comments Outstanding set of children's literature to review this month! if i was the sunshine has a creative poetic pattern from page to page. It reminds me of the Golden Books of the 50s. I like the words and illustrations focus on making connections and relationships. It takes the 5th spot on my Caldecott hopefuls for 2020.

Where Are You From? is an excellent starter book for the school year for T-K through 3rd grade. The images are powerful and the story reaches to the child's heartstrings! Readers will get the point to be appreciative of the generations that came before in their heritage. Not thinking it will top the Caldecott list though.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 87 comments ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market by Raúl Gonzalez III. and Linus The Little Yellow Pencil by Scott Magoon Linus The Little Yellow Pencil by Scott Magoon. -- These two books have marvelous stories and illustrations. Great to share with children ages 4 - up. Wonderful school stories to read with children. Hope they will be new additions to school libraries. Caldecott worthy? Could be!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Giessler | 41 comments Vamos reminds me of the Busytown books that I used to read to my kids, with the AWESOME bonus of being bilingual. I don't necessarily consider it Caldecott worthy. The illustrations in If I Was... are beautiful works of art, and I especially love the way Loren Long uses light on the pages. I don't love the text and don't know that the book would particularly appeal to children; but that's where I'm unclear on how the Caldecott panel weighs different criteria. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting my hands on Linus and Where Are You From.