Adventure Reading discussion

25 Essential Adventure Books by Outside Magazine

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 23 comments I just came across this list elsewhere on Goodreads and thought it was perfect for this group.

http://outside.away.com/outside/featu...

What have you read? What would you recommend.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments Marcie, Thank you for forwarding the list of adventure stories. I read the reviews with great interest.

I reread Joshua Slocum's sail around the world this summer. It's a very friendly story...well written too.
I also had a chance to read B. markam's West with the Night, which is also brilliantly and poetically written.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (tjc8) | 4 comments Thank you that's a great list, I'll have to add a lot to my "to read shelf". I'm really surprised to have read 3 or 4 out of the top 10. All of witch were great books - thanks again.

message 4: by William (new)

William Graney | 99 comments Mod
I've read 6 of the 25. The only thing that really surprised me was that Reinhold Messner didn't make the list. He's been a popular figure with Outside Magazine over the years.
I was unaware that some people consider The Long Walk to be a hoax. That's disappointing to me as it would make my Top 25 adventure books list.
Thanks for posting the link, I'm going to have to dig a little deeper into some of those books.

message 5: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 23 comments Richard, I've also read Markham's West with the Night. I've heard that there is controversy about whether Markham wrote the book because the writing is so good. Whether she wrote it or not, Markham led an amazing life and fortunately the controversy is about the writing not the adventure itself. I totally recommend the book and concur with Richard that the writing is poetic.

I've read 8 of the 25 books. I've had Davidson's Tracks on my to read shelf for a while so I was happy to see that on the list. I've read two accounts of the Endurance (Lansing and Alexander, both recommended) but not Worsley's book so I may eventually get to that. I tried to listen to Chatwin's book on disc but it didn't engage me. Has anyone read it?

William, I've never read anything by Messner but just looking at his catalog he does seem like a perfect fit for Outside Magazine. What would you recommend for a first read?

Like Travis, I've added more than a couple of books to my to read shelf.

message 6: by William (new)

To the Top of the World is a good compilation book for Messner and will give you an idea if you want to dig deeper into any particular expedition.
Thanks for the tip on City of Ventura. I have a friend who said he would take classes with me so we've been checking out places in Ventura and Marina Del Rey. We were struck with sticker shock but with a City-run program I imagine it's much less.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments Well, I finally got a chance to read Three Cups of Tea. For me, it was rewarding in several ways. First, I teach history and government in a Brooklyn High School, and the encounters with the Pakistani people, and the Taliban offered great insights into that region. Second, I love reading about how Greg Mortenson persevered against the climate, the economics , and his own personal disappointments (with relationships).
So, the book was inspiring on many levels.
By the way, did anyone see Greg Mortenson interviewed on Bill Moyers Journal on PBS? He's a very modest person.

message 8: by William (new)

Thanks for the heads up on the Moyers interview. I think they have the podcasts of those on iTunes so I'll check it out.
Also; going to look into The Lost City of Z and Skeletons on the Zahara.

message 9: by Marcie (last edited Feb 04, 2010 10:01PM) (new)

Marcie | 23 comments Judy, I recently read Skeletons on the Zahara and also highly recommend it. It's an incredible survival story of shipwreck, slavery, starvation, and travel through the African desert.

I'm still working my way through the Outside Magazine list. In addition to Skeletons on the Zahara, I've also read Touching the Void, Tracks, Old Glory, Running the Amazon, and Wind, Sand & Stars. These books have such different voices and cover such different times and places but all are amazing adventure stories worthy of their inclusion on the list. My favorites were Skeletons on the Zahara and Running the Amazon. I'm about to start A Short Walk on the Hindu Kush and, while not on the list, I finally got my hands on a Reinhold Messner book (William, I couldn't find To the Top of the World so I'm planning to read Quest for the Yeti). The Lost City of Z looks like a future read as well.

message 10: by William (new)

Thanks for the recommendations on Skeletons. Finished it last night, quite the amazing story.

message 11: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 23 comments Hi Judy- Amazon.com describes it "In 1985 a team of hand-picked adventurers, including writer Joe Kane, embarked on a journey that would take them to the remote headwaters of the Amazon Basin. But that was just the beginning of the trip. Their goal: to navigate the world's longest river from source to mouth, a feat never before recorded." This is a more contemporary story. Still a lot has changed in technology in the past 25 years and I'm sure that the Amazon is a different place and the sport of kayaking has changed because of it.
I liked the adventure story and the scenery as well as Kane's description of all the problems that the group had with the various personalities involved. I think Kane is a bit of a snob and a really funny writer so if you enjoy (or can put up) with his "voice" it's a good read.

Lost City of Z is finally available at the library so hopefully I'll be reading that one soon. I have Arctic Dreams at home now but haven't started it yet.