What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Truly Scary Stories for Fearless Kids
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/Children’s horror anthology. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sunny (new)

Sunny | 6 comments It’s not scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. At least I don’t think it is. I got it as a gift sometime in the 90s, but I also grew up in a rural area and merch didn’t circulate as fast, so the book could be older. I know it had the story about the golden arm. It also had a story about a doll maker who was fixing some prized porcelain doll, but it animated and alerted him to some danger his own daughter was in. I think the doll basically died in his daughters place? I think it crumbled and he saved his kid. Then there was another story about a kid with a lizard, and the lizard is this strange thing, and the kid is kind of a jerk, and some other kid somehow get’s involved and the two get into a fight over something, and the jerk kid get’s injured and his skin tears away like paper revealing a new lizard thing, which the new kid takes along with the old lizard. Presumably the lizards make you evil until you become one yourself?

message 2: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments The second story sounds like "The Doll's Ghost," by F. Marion Crawford. You can see a list of books including it here.

message 3: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments Could it be Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New?
Are you sure the stories were all in the same book?

message 4: by Sunny (new)

Sunny | 6 comments I’m fairly certain it was all in one book. I say that because I didn’t like horror as a child so I never asked for ghost stories and my mom didn’t like dark books in the house, so I think I just had the one on my shelf.

message 5: by Sunny (new)

Sunny | 6 comments Rosa wrote: "The second story sounds like "The Doll's Ghost," by F. Marion Crawford. You can see a list of books including it here."
And yes! That was one of the stories. Thank you!

message 7: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments That's great! How did you find it?