Amazon Kindle discussion

Reading on the Kindle in public

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (rhetter) | 3 comments Am I the only one who finds that I spend more time demonstrating the Kindle and the Kindle app on my iPod than I do actually reading when I use it in public? Last Sunday when I went out to breakfast I made sure I had a printed book to read just so I could read without interruption.

Or am I just cranky?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 11 comments lol, I still read my Kindle in public, but once every three or four times I read it, someone asks about it. Also, my Dad likes to tell people he knows that I have it and then has me demonstrate it for him. I don't really mind because I figure that if it will get more people to buy them, then more books might become available!!!

message 3: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane | 14 comments Whenever I'm on the train, people ask me about it. I don't mind so much.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I usually don't mind showing off my Kindle when ppl ask about it, I'm a real technology addict, and I love to compare the newest gadgets with like minded tech lovers!

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci Marquette (tracimarquette) | 1 comments This is to funny I am one of those people who will ask mainly because i have one and I just want to get their opinion on if they like it or not. When I was in VA I saw someone using the Kindle 2 but I didn't say anything to him. When i had jury Duty someone was reading using the K1 and then i did ask her how she liked it. I love technology too Ann and I am the same way.

message 6: by Renee (last edited Sep 02, 2009 06:26PM) (new)

Renee (rhetter) | 3 comments I'm not really *that* cranky. But I was at the dentist's this afternoon and while waiting for him to come in, I was reading "Buddy Holly is Alive and Well..." on my Kindle. He came in (the dentist, not Buddy Holly), exclaimed over the Kindle and we ended up spending 10 minutes on show and tell.

One of these days I am going to be reading something absolutely filthy on it when someone wants to see how to flip the "page" back and forth.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth K (callaflower) | 19 comments i actually have never had a stranger ask me about it. a couple of co-workers have asked and when i've been in the doctor's office the doctor has asked but that's it. maybe i have a mean "don't disturb me" look on my face. for that i'm grateful. :)
i'm sure it was the same when ipods first came on the scene.

message 8: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Faulkner (lef3) I'm new to Goodreads, but I really love my Kindle. I kind of gave it a try, thinking I would probably not like it, but I find I read more books now, this way, than before. I even did a blog about it (FaulknerFiction.Blogspot.com) I use the dictionary feature all the time.

Anyway, glad you guys have a group here!

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I was waiting for the train a few months back reading my Kindle. I noticed that these two women standing next to were looking at me. Finally one of the women asked what *it* AKA my Kindle was. I then went on to tell her how it was the best invention ever!

message 10: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments My best Kindle public experience so far was meeting a Kindle2 owner in a physician's office. We swapped and she got to try out my Kindle1 and I got some time with her Kindle2.

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments I got my kindle one from a friend who upgraded when 2 came out. I used to read on it at the coffee shop a lot. Only one person ever asked about it. But I live in a tiny town where most people pretend they are ignoring everyone. I did have to let my new room mates play with it for a bit the first time I brought it out in front of them. They had never even heard it.

Of course I used to get bothered a lot (when I lived in a bigger city) just reading paperbacks and text books. So I can imagine it gets really old.

The thing that bothers me the most about kindle-curious people is when they completely dismiss the idea of a kindle and say "oh I could never read off a COMPUTER screen" without ever reading a review about it. One of the first things all the reviews talk about is the inky screen thing. Sheesh...My first worry was that I would break it. And I kept hitting the page turn buttons on accident. But you get used to that pretty quickly. Wow I can get off topic...

message 12: by Krista (new)

Krista I am guilty of gawking at someone who was reading a Kindle on the train. It was the first time I had seen one in person, and it was bigger than I had expected. Several others were not so subtly staring at it also, though noone bothered the reader to demonstrate.

message 13: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
I read my Kindle in public all the time. I often get people asking about it and wanting to see it. I was reading it in my English 202 class and the prof asked me to show it to the entire class =P

message 14: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 1 comments I guess I fall into the cranky category because I get tired of people asking me about it all the time! I told my husband that my only complaint about the Kindle is that I have to do show-and-tell when I'm trying to read. I certainly understand their curiosity and it's good for them to have a chance to see a Kindle if they are thinking about purchasing one, but still...leave me alone, I'm reading :-)

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonzc) | 2 comments I really don't mind showing people my Kindle when I'm in public.......more Kindle readers = more Kindle books available!

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments Very true Sharon. I encourage anyone I do talk to about it to think about getting one. Especially now, when people are upgrading from v1 to v2 and you can get a v1 for as little a hundred dollars sometimes. My husband has barely taken the time to mess with mine, and he is thinking about getting one for himself. We'll have a fiction and a non-fiction kindle. Lol...

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonzc) | 2 comments Abigail wrote: "Very true Sharon. I encourage anyone I do talk to about it to think about getting one. Especially now, when people are upgrading from v1 to v2 and you can get a v1 for as little a hundred dollars s..."

Great idea! I don't think I would use all the bells and whistles on the K2 so am happy with the K1.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidimar) | 5 comments I was reading mine in the waiting room at the dentist office last week and ended up passing it around and having a convo with 5 other people! The receptionist said it was the liveliest conversation she'd ever seen there :D In a way I liked it, but in a way I was annoyed because I was in the middle of a very racy scene (ha!)

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Craig-muller so, Abigail, or anyone else: which is easier to read from the original or the larger kindle?
thanks

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments I haven't seen a large one yet, but the regular v2 is so lightweight compared to v1, that I imagine it is a little like a v1 just with a larger screen. The weird thing about v2 is how flat it is. The v1 is wedge shaped and fits perfectly in my left hand. So I don't know.

message 21: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments I'm with you Kristina, I get cranky when strangers interrupt my reading. I suppose I'm just the antisocial sort, because I so DO NOT appreciate strangers striking up small-talk convos with me in public, Kindle-in-hand or not. Alas, I'm not a total beyotch or anything, so I can't bring myself to be mean and frosty as I want to be, or say "UGH! Leave me alone!" (I just scream it in my head. Poor Sookie would get an earful if she ever bumped into me in a waiting room LOL!)

So yeah, I begrudgingly do my share of Kindle 2 show-and-tell (but I draw the line at allowing strangers to handle it, what's to stop them from running off with it? No way!) My favorite by far was this old gal in the doc's waiting room yesterday, who (after asking for and witnessing my little demo) said, "OH my, that would be just wonderful for my granddaughter, she's blind you know."

WTF?

So after about 10 seconds of staring blankly at her, I remembered the speech feature (never use it myself, always forget to point it out) and said something like, "oh.. um.. well yeah, I suppose, it does have this spiffy speech/audio thing..." and went on to demo that (hadn't brought it up prior to that, so was scratching my head over the blind thing), and she said, "well yeah, but I meant the braille thing.."

WTF?

She was referring to the keyboard, which I tried to explain was only a regular qwerty keyboard, for typing notes and browsing and whatever else you can do with it. And she goes, "well yes, but it's BRAILLE" and reached over to run her fingers over the little key bumps.

Um. Okay...

At that point, her equally ancient husband gave me a pained apologetic look over her head then rolled his eyes and went back to his newspaper, as if to say "welcome to my world."

Thank goodness they called my name at that moment, because I was truly at a loss of what to say. ;)

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie Craig-muller Mary, that story is hilarious.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Brewis (kbluvscats) | 2 comments I take my Kindle to work with me so I can read on my lunch hour. I have had two encounter with two co-workers. Nothing strange about how they reacted. They were impressed and curious about it though.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips I tend to ignore people when reading, not intentionally, I just get into the book. But I don't demo the Kindle unless asked...I hate getting that...oh, that's so expensive, I have to have a book in my hand, I could never do that, etc., etc., remarks.

message 25: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments Ditto, I hate that! If you're going to interrupt my reading and put me on the spot to demo the darn thing, it's downright rude to basically call me an idiot for owning one. A snooty girl at work kept rolling her eyes whenever someone gushed over my Kindle, saying "You're a lemming, it's a frivolous luxury item and complete waste of money, it will be obsolete in a year!". I said to her, "Well it's worth it to me, I've already paid for it with what I've saved in free and lower-priced books, not to mention all the dead trees and storage space I've saved. And frankly, I don't have to defend myself to you. You don't hear me criticizing how you spend your child support on a $300 handbag or pair of shoes, so I'd really appreciate it if you bitched about me behind my back, like a lady." [insert saccharin smile here:]

Pfft. Twit.

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments Lul...

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I recently went to an anniversary party, A friend of a friend approached me and said he and his wife were both thinking of buying electronic books, they were undecided on which brand to purchase. They had heard I have A Kindle, and I love it. I answered their questions, and let them see Lilly (yes, I named my Kindle Lilly). I failed to realize, the content of your Kindle, is a window into your personality. I have some of the classics, “Wuthering Heights” ,“Anna Karenina” , “The Raven”, “The Cask of Amontillado” and the like. I also have a few books in the series “Darkly Dreaming Dexter” along with other things like “The Cemetery Book” and “Song of Kali”. They loved the Kindle, and decided to purchase one for each of them, but, they never didn’t ask me, “Have you read any good books lately?”

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments Haha...now I'm thinking about the content on mine and what that says about me. I can see the looks on people's faces now...

message 29: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Trust me, based on my Kindle Reading List, you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

message 30: by AlmieMeg (new)

AlmieMeg The Braille inquiry is funny and yet a Braille edition of kindle would be such a great idea, if at all possible. I take my kindle2 everywhere and I like it so much that I would love for someone to ask about it. Lol, I suppose that's why I don't get many inquiries. I've only had 2 while in flight, and those were both by Sony electronic book owners wishing they had purchased the kindle. I just figure that the people I've come across don't really enjoy reading enough to care.

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments Oh do you have lots of vampire erotica too?

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee (rhetter) | 3 comments I had a flight last week and the woman in the seat next to me had the Kindle, version 1 (I have version 2). We spent the first 5 minutes checking out the differences between the two before we settled down to reading.

message 33: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 12 comments I was in line Tuesday, for 3 hours, waiting to get the H1N1 vaccine. Of course, I was reading my Kindle. A lot of people were looking over my shoulder and said "What's that?". Of course, I had to demonstrate it. That was fun. The long line wasn't.

message 34: by IUHoosier (last edited Oct 30, 2009 08:03AM) (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Abigail wrote: "I haven't seen a large one yet, but the regular v2 is so lightweight compared to v1, that I imagine it is a little like a v1 just with a larger screen. The weird thing about v2 is how flat it is. T..."

I've seen the larger version - one of my coworkers bought it for her Dad and brought it in to show me before she handed it over to him. It is very, very cool. I think it would be absolutely excellent for college students - its size is perfect for reading textbooks. And the way it moves over to landscape mode is fascinating. (She bought it for her Dad because he's an avid newspaper and magazine reader and had been wondering aloud if the Kindle would be a good opttion for him. FYI - he absolutely adores it.)

As for the feel of it - I'll stick to my smaller version. Its absolutely flat, just like the K2, and weighs next to nothing - without the case. Once you put the case on, it FEELS like a textbook. Way to heavy. For those that want their readers to be the size of a magazine with the heft of a book, it's perfect, tho.

Regarding reading in public - I love being asked about it. I just make sure that I move to the home page before I let them look at the screen.... :)

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments I started doing that too. My mother-in-law kept flipping through my book.

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (PandoraKnits) | 4 comments I always bookmark my place before handing over my Kindle. That way I can get back without too much trouble. I also have the problem of my husband reading a book on my Kindle if I leave it laying in the living room, so bookmarks are a total must do item.

message 37: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments I try not to demonstrate anymore. I ride the bus to work and one day on my way home this girl got on and asked me what my Kindle was. I bookmarked my page and showed her the index of all the books I had etc. When she noticed that I had the book "19 Minutes" by Jody Piccoult she proceeded to tell me the whole book, including the ending. So I just tell people it's a Kindle and leave it at that!!!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never had my reading interrupted, though I have caught someone staring once. I stopped myself to talk to her because, well, it was my new toy and I wanted to show it off. I've demoed to a couple of friends who have mentioned interest, but they did not know I had one in my bag when they brought it up.

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments Oh, that bothers me when people give away a book! Just because I have it in my hands, does not mean I read it. Especially now with a Kindle. Sheesh.

I don't mind showing my friends or family. It's funny to see what they will pick to look at though. One friend went right for the Amazon User's Guide and read while we were taking him home.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura At the dr's off recently I ended up reading in the exam room waiting for her. When she saw it she had to know all about it - asked a lot of questions. For the most part I don't mind sharing a little - like others have said before me, the more Kindles out there the more books are published for Kindle.

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert Newhart (rnewhart) When I was in Hawaii reading at the pool, people kept stopping and gawking. One couple actually asked to hold it. My friends wanted to know if I was being paid by amazon. I am a tech geek so I don't mind... to a point!

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments Hmmm..I'm curious, do many of you have a cover on it? I've read mine a few times in public, and no one has asked about it at all. I'm wondering if it's because I have a M-Edge jacket on it, and it looks like a notebook?

message 43: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I have an Oberon Designs Tree of Life cover ... people tend to notice that first. I have often been asked if it's a journal, which then leads me into singing the praises of my Kindle 1.

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert Newhart (rnewhart) I just have the basic amazon cover on my kindle 2. I always end up folding it over so you can still see that it.

Abigail (42stitches) | 23 comments I used to use the plain cover for K1, but I stopped a couple of months ago because it kept popping the battery cover off when it was in my bag. I got just as many questions then as I do now.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura I've always used a cover. And I also bought the M edge cover - makes the K1 look like a journal or daytimer. I found that the cover that came with the K1 didn't hold it well & it would pop the battery cover off. The M edge cover fits it more snuggly.

message 47: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments I have a very flexible mint green colored protecter that strictly covers the back & goes around the white part of the front of the Kindle2. I bought this on Amazon. I have not taken my Kindle2 out of the house yet...so no need for a jacket covering quite yet.

message 48: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 5 comments Apparently the "reading in public" thing is making an impression, especially the part about demonstrating how it works to other people - in public.

This item just flashed by me on Twitter:
RT @PublishingSpy: Amazon sucks up to literary agents http://bit.ly/42nmns (via Crain's NY) http://ow.ly/160O3u

The Crain's NY article (that's the actual title) is about how Amazon wined and dined some author's AGENTS because they're upset about how popular Kindle is.

I'm glad I've got 3 books available on Kindle now! Amazon expects over a million units sold for the Holiday gift season.

message 49: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Jacqueline wrote: "Apparently the "reading in public" thing is making an impression, especially the part about demonstrating how it works to other people - in public.

This item just flashed by me on Twitter:
RT @Pub..."

Publishers and Agents are just pissed that no one is going to pay more than $10 for a digital file. Why should we pay more than that? We don't get a physical copy of the book so they don't spend any money to produce or store these books.

message 50: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 12 comments I have a Noreve cover. I wouldn't go "outdoors" without one. If I'm at home, sitting in the easy chair or couch, I like to take it out of the cover. When I read in bed, I use the cover because it holds my Might Brite light.

« previous 1