Play Book Tag discussion

August 2019: 21st Century > Vox- Christina Dalcher (2 Stars)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 222 comments I rarely read Distopia, but when Vox first made its debut last year I was intrigued by the premise of a society in which women were only allowed to speak 100 words per day and there being one woman who would dare to defy these rules and evoke a change.

Set in an America where a religious group has taken control of the government and mandated woman are no longer able to hold jobs, travel, read or do anything else where they will have any authority. Their use of language is also limited by the counters they are forced to wear around their wrists that will give them increasingly higher levels of electric shocks for each word over 100 they go. While all of this is occurring the brother of the President has a skiing accident that causes brain trauma and affects his linguistic ability in the Wernicke area. Prior to woman’s rights being limited Dr. Jean McClellan, nuerolinguistic expert, was conducting research on this exact area. She is recruited to be part of a team that works to develop a cure for the linguistic barriers that result from trauma to this area. At first, she refuses to assist, but as her daughter becomes more reclusive and wins awards at school for going whole days without saying anything Jean decides to jump in. The remainder of the book focuses on the development and aftermath of the cure drug.

This was such a disappointment and it was almost a DNF but once I start a book I have a hard time not finishing it. What let me down the most was that Jean was built up to be this strong willed and outspoken woman who instead was bland and indecisive. The ending of the book did not match up with the intention to focus on female empowerment and there were multiple instances of unrealistic plot development. An intriguing topic that needed better characters and a more solid storyline to make this more than a 2 star read for me.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments How disappointing! I am recommending books to my book club and this was on the list of possibilities as I was going for a theme of dystopian fiction featuring women’s rights. Sounds like maybe I should look for a replacement for this one...

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3252 comments Darn, I had this on my long list but it keeps getting knocked down due to lackluster reviews.

I will table for now.

message 4: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I was also very intrigued by this title, but I took it off my TBR after multiple people with compatible tastes read it with similar disappointment. Looks like the trend continues.

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 05, 2019 01:46AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5231 comments Thanks for saving us some time! The description alone ticked me off, so I knew there was no way I could stand reading it. But it helps to have confirmation.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Oh no, this has also been on my TBR for ages. Not sure to take it off the TBR or not.

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3252 comments I keep these little cutouts from the "upcoming releases" pamphlets you get for free at the bookstore for books I want to read so I can paste it into my planner... I had one for Vox, but I threw it in the trash yesterday 😈