CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > Giller Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
woo hoo, the Giller long list is here.... i think some of us had lost track of the dates and were pleasantly surprised with the list being sent out today.

here is CBC commentary and the lists: https://www.cbc.ca/books/margaret-atw...

any surprises?

message 2: by Anna (last edited Sep 03, 2019 08:32PM) (new)

Anna (iudita) | 57 comments I am so glad that Steven Price is on this list. I loved Gaslight and I am 20 pages into Lampedusa and loving it. He has a style that really works for me. He writes beautifully and is a master of setting and evoking atmosphere.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a good feeling to find an author you want to revisit time and time again.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 201 comments @Anna - Lampedusa sounds interesting. My library didn't have this available, at least not yet. May have to buy.

Other than the Margaret Atwood book, I hadn't heard of any of the books on the list. I was able to put four of the books on hold at the e-library and I am #1 on the list for two. I also bought Dual Citizens yesterday as it was the Kobo daily deal yesterday. I noticed there were a few books on the list that haven't been released yet. Now that the pool season is done, I should have more time for reading.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 542 comments I didn't realize that Steven Price was the person who wrote Gaslight.

Yesterday through my work I actually met someone who was
on the first Giller jury. I recognized his name and I said-you were
on the Giller jury and he said yes. I asked him if he had read the latest list and he said it's great. He has just finished the Michael
Crummy and he thinks it's fantastic. I said-from a long-shot that
I guess Atwood will win and he said she should-even though he hasn't received a copy of the book yet. I remembered that Vassanji won the first prize and I asked him about that. He told
me it wasn't the best book that year-but Munro withdrew from
the competition so they gave it to Vassanji. I really wanted to pepper him with more questions but he didn't seem very interested.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 201 comments Cool experience Alan!

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 57 comments Alan wrote: "I didn't realize that Steven Price was the person who wrote Gaslight.

Yesterday through my work I actually met someone who was
on the first Giller jury. I recognized his name and I said-you were
o..."

I would have had a lot of questions as well. Too bad he seemed a bit disinterested. I have only read one Michael Crummey which was Sweetland and I thought it was unique and fresh. When you read a lot, your really appreciate something fresh. I also remember the main character was so well done. I will definitely read The Innocents although it may not be in time for The Giller.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 73 comments I adore both Micheal Christie and Steven Price as human beings, and so I'm pleased to see them both back on the longlist.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments I finished Days by Moonlight over the weekend. Andre Alexis is one of those writers who I enjoy while I'm reading but then I'm not sure if his books hang together once I finish them. The thing I liked best about this one was the storytelling aspect. Many characters tell stories within the novel, and those were very engaging. Toward the end, the book got a bit more philosophical, which was something that frustrated me in Fifteen Dogs, and my mind started wandering.

I have Late Breaking from the library, so will probably be tackling that next. Did anyone else do any Giller reading this weekend?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for the reminder about The Giller Prize.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 201 comments I just finished Days by Moonlight. I LOVED it!!! Loved the story and the philosophy. It was cool how there was reference to one of his previously written books in it as well. After I catch up on the rest of my reading, I will go back to read the other books in this series that I missed. I remember really enjoying Fifteen Dogs as well. It will be hard for any of the other longlist books to beat this one for me. Too bad it is up against Margaret Atwood's new book.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments Last night, I finished Late Breaking, which I really enjoyed. These are linked stories, mostly featuring protagonists who are age 60-plus. The writing is beautiful and the stories are very satisfying on their own but I do love a linked collection. Also, the hook of each story being inspired by an Alex Colville painting was fun. I'm happy the Giller brought this book to my attention!

message 13: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments I finished Days by Moonlight and it exceeded my already high expectations! Love this author! I caught the reference to his novel Pastoral, as well as reference to the dogs Frick & Frack from Fifteen Dogs. This "quincunx" is an interesting compilation.

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 538 comments I have finished “The Testaments” and “The Innocents” and I’m 70% through “Reproduction”. Looking forward to getting back to “Lampedusa” next, followed by “Late Breaking” and “Immigrant City” I haven’t read “Pastoral” or “Fifteen Dogs” and I’m wondering if it will hamper my enjoyment of “Days by Moonlight”.

message 15: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments @Natasha- The books by Andre Alexis are very much stand alone so won't be an issue to read them as single stories.

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 538 comments Thank you Wanda.

message 17: by Derrik (new)

Derrik (nervesaw) Really looking forward to Lampedusa. The Leopard is absolutely worth your while.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 201 comments I finished Reproduction. Gave it three stars.

message 19: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments Looking forward to the Short List today! I see it is being streamed on Facebook at 11 a.m. EST.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments From the longlist I have read The Innocents and Immigrant City. Both were excellent!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for the recommendations.

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 542 comments What a shock that Margaret Atwood didn't make the short list.

message 23: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Louise - Thanks for the input. I am a big Crummey fan and have had the book on hold for a while - very soon to arrive. Yay!!! Not surprised that The Innocents made the shortlist based on Crummey's writing style, skills and the book's subject matter.

@ Alan - was surprised at a couple of omissions, including Atwood's. Noticed that she was an advisor on the Scotiabank Giller Board, so maybe she recused herself from the shortlist.

Overall, I felt the selections were fairly diverse, like the panel of jurors; and represented a good cross-section of Canadian literature that covered a number of important current issues. Unfortunately, 6 books can never contain all the writing talent Canada has to offer.

Am currently reading Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club by Megan Gail Coles and figured it would make the shortlist. The writing is incredible and the topic so relevant. One of her mentors @Alan was Joel Thomas Hynes who wrote the book We'll All Be Burnt in Our Beds Some Night, winner of the 2017 Governor General's award for fiction and long listed for the Scotiabank Giller prize, that you mentioned reading and enjoying, despite its difficult storyline.

Great day for Newfoundland - 2 of 6 authors on the shortlist!!!

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments From the shortlist, the ones that pique my interest are Dual Citizens, Lampedusa and Reproduction. Wish I had more reading time, but would choose one of those to start with!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Lampedusa is calling my name. Gonna start it tomorrow.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments Has anyone read the Leopard? Is it helpful to read before Lampedusa? Thoughts?

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments I have Lampedusa from the library and I bought a secondhand copy of Dual Citizens, so I’m going to start there. The Crummey isn’t out in the U.S. until about a week before Giller night, so that will be tricky for me to read in time.

I think the GG list comes out tomorrow. I wonder if there will be any crossover with the Giller list.

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Ooo! The GGs slipped my mind this year! Such a great period of time for books!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Sarah wrote: "Has anyone read the Leopard? Is it helpful to read before Lampedusa? Thoughts?"

I have not read The Leopard, but I did read a few blurbs on it to get some idea of the background. I'm about a third of the way through Lampedusa and loving it. If anything, this book will make you want to read The Leopard, instead of making it a prerequisite.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Such mixed reviews out there on Reproduction! Here's a Quill & Quire interview with Ian Williams, which certainly makes it sound interesting.

https://quillandquire.com/authors/poe...

message 31: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Oct 03, 2019 04:44AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments I quit on Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club after fifty pages. I have no interest in reading a story that repeatedly turns my stomach. Such gross and unnecessary detail, not to mention the pretentious tone throughout. Not a fan.

message 32: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Susan - looks like The Innocents by Michael Crummey made it through to the GG fiction shortlist. Late Breaking by K.D. Miller, only on the Scotiabank Giller's longlist, made it through to the finalists in the GG fiction award. All other books are totally different.

Here's a good link to all GG category finalists - just keep scrolling down
https://www.cbc.ca/books/michael-crum...

@ Allison - am interested in Lampedusa and Dual Citizens as well. Not so much Reproduction.

Like many, I'm stalling a bit in reading this year but am currently reading Small Game Hunting and Immigrant City. Food for thought -saw a Scotiabank Giller post on the day of the shortlist announcement that outlined someone only had to read 40 pages per day to finish all 6 books by announcement day. Seemed doable and it got me re-energized.

Here's the link on the reading calculation if anyone's interested:
https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/how-...

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Interesting news on Small Game Hunting, @Allison. I have only read the blurb, and it didn't turn my crank, so I didn't look into it much more. So thanks for that head's up.

Cool link @MJ, thanks!

message 34: by Derrik (new)

Derrik (nervesaw) Sarah wrote: "Has anyone read the Leopard? Is it helpful to read before Lampedusa? Thoughts?"

I've read The Leopard. I haven't read Lampedusa yet, so I don't know how helpful it will be. Regardless, The Leopard is absolutely worth reading.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 327 comments @allison hikes the bookwoods thanks, I’m looking forward to lampedusa!

@derrik I’ll definitely read The Leopard, unsure which one I’ll read first though.

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I am presently reading Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club and it's um....different.

message 37: by Del (new)

Del Jones (delleonardjones) | 3 comments Best Halloween read-aloud ever takes place on Christmas Day in the Yukon https://caseystrikesout.wixsite.com/w...

message 38: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Louise - I agree. Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club is different, probably because it discusses lives that are very different from what most members of Canadian Content (including myself) lead. It is difficult to read, for the same reason. I do think however that the writing is authentic and brings important issues to readers' attention.

Fyi, I finished Immigrant City and quite enjoyed it. Very different than Small Game Hunting and a much more comfortable read. I was impressed by Bezmozgis' writing skills and hope to read more of his published works.

message 39: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Mj wrote: "@ Louise - I agree. Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club is different, probably because it discusses lives that are very different from what most members of Canadian Cont..."

I just finished it and was quite blown away actually. It takes a while to get into, and it certainly is not an easy read, quite difficult actually but this author is amazing in showing us the true horror of what her characters live through. If you can stomach the contents I highly recommend it, but it is not a book for everyone.

I still have two Gillers to go but so far my order of preference is, with the top 3 being very close (all 3 are brilliant):

The Innocents by Michael Crummey.
Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club by Megan Gail Coles.
Immigrant City by David Bezmozgis.
Lampedusa by Steven Price.

I have just started Dual Citizens by Alix Ohlin which I am loving already from the get-go. Then I will just have Reproduction by Ian Williams left. So far I am impressed with this year's shortlist. It's one of the best I've seen.

How is everyone else doing?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Louise wrote: "Mj wrote: "@ Louise - I agree. Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club is different, probably because it discusses lives that are very different from what most members of Ca..."

You've inspired me to give Small Game Hunting another try!

message 41: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "You've inspired me to give Small Game Hunting another try!."

It's not an easy read at first. But about halfway through I began to love her writing style and I love how she shows us the interior lives of her characters. That said, it is not a 'feel good' type of book.

message 42: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Nov 15, 2019 05:25AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Louise wrote: "Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "You've inspired me to give Small Game Hunting another try!."

It's not an easy read at first. But about halfway through I began to love her writing style and I..."

I wish there was an audiobook. I find I have more stamina that way.

message 44: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
interesting reading on settings for the giller short-listed books - https://www.cbc.ca/books/the-scotiaba...

message 45: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Louise - I agree with your top 3 but they are the only books I finished or read most of,,,so I could have missed another special book.

I'd be happy if any of your top 3 won - The Innocents, Small Game Hunting or Immigrant City. Much of a Crummey fan as I am, and a "new" fan of Bezmozgis, I am routing for Small Game Hunting to win. I thought the writing was brilliant and the content daring, topical and important. Am pleased to see social justice being written about and advocated for in fiction and think this unique approach makes the book particularly special.

Likely the other 3 books are also strong. The final six seem to represent a great cross-section of Canadian fiction. Can't wait to read them as well and watch The Scotiabank Giller Awards this evening.

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments I watched! I haven’t read any this year, but am intrigued by most. Interesting storyline of the winner — and mixed reviews! Heartfelt acceptance speech, which every year gets me teary.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments It was a good show! I’m glad I could watch it from afar. I really didn’t think the winning book had a chance and the more I hear about it, the less sure I am I’ll like it. It’s not out in the U.S. until March 2020 so I’ll report back then! :-)

message 48: by Mj (new)

Mj I watched as well and agree that Ian Williams' acceptance speech was extremely heartwarming and sincere. Also, all the authors who spoke to Jael Richardson in the library seemed especially nice, also sincere and incredibly proud to be part of the awards and respectful towards all other nominees.

I listened to Ian Williams in an interview with Shelagh Rogers not too long ago on The Next Chapter.

Ian seemed just as sincere and authentic as tonight, as well as funny and fun, during the interview. It made me want to read Reproduction. I finally, received notice that I have a copy ready to pick up at the library. It was one of the hardest to get a hold of (based on many holds but not enough copies, although extra copies have been on order for some time.) Am guessing that will soon be remedied.

Shelagh and Ian laugh and chuckle throughout most of the interview - a good sign that the book will be fun and it might put any reservations people currently have about it at rest.

It's only about 15 minutes and well worth listening to.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thenextchapt...

message 49: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Nov 19, 2019 04:27AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments The show was great, but I wasn't a fan of Jann Arden's hosting TBH. I defintely want to read Reproduction now that it has won. I was on the fence about it, but Ian Williams' sweet personality was enough to win me over. I also feel more positively toward giving Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club another chance after hearing Megan Gail Coles speak. Perhaps I will give it another go.

message 50: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I wasn't expecting to like Reproduction because of the reviews but it is worth reading, just DON'T get the audiobook. It's a horrible production, the worst I have ever listened to. Three robotic narrators and sound that kept cutting out. Audible refunded me my credit.

As for this book winning, well, any one of the 6 was worth winning. My least favorite though was Lampedusa. I was rooting for Megan Gail Coles because it was her first novel but she is such a talent that I am sure we will see her on a shortlist again.

« previous 1