The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Let's list our favorite bookstores in our towns.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments When I go on vacation I normally set aside at least one day to scour the city for used bookstores (I'm sure others here do the same thing), but the time chasing around to find the best can be a chore.

Let's help our fellow readers out and list the city and your favorite book haunts!!

I will be away tonight, so my faves in San Diego will go up late tonight or tomorrow.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10003 comments Mod
Wow. I wish I had favorites in my area, but really I dont. I have a Borders, and there's Caroll and Caroll's used books store, but she's kinda pricey.

message 3: by Queen (new)

Queen | 74 comments In Philly there are 4 in Center City I know of:

1. Border's Express @ the Gallery (8th Street)

2. Robin's Bookstore @ 110A 13th Street (near Chestnut)

3. The Book Trader @ 7 N 2nd Street (near Market)

4. Garland of Letters @ 527 South Street

5. Bauman Rare Books @ 1608 Walnut Street
19th Floor

message 4: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments Here are my favorites for Cincinnati, Ohio:

Best Used Bookstore: Ohio Book Store, 726 Main Street (downtown)

Best New Bookstore: Joseph-Beth Booksellers,
2692 Madison Road, Norwood (in the Rookwood Pavilion)

Best Large Chain: Barnes & Noble, 7800 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati (in the Sycamore Plaza at Kenwood)

message 5: by Roseann (last edited Sep 01, 2009 09:52PM) (new)

Roseann | 400 comments My favorites in San Diego (in no specific order)are:

Used Bookstores--

Wm Burgett Books & Collectibles
3287 Adams Ave.
This is a great one to find "hidden treasure". The shop is fairly messy in that there are stacks and stacks of unshelved books around the shelves (also filled to the brim with books) in no apparent order. So plan on spending some time going through them because you don't know what you will find.

Adams Ave. Books Store
3502 Adams Ave.
Much more order in this store with shelves that go on forever. There are two stories with every category you can think of.

Fifth Ave. Books
3838 Fifth Ave.
About five miles away from Adams Ave in the Hillcrest area is this store which I don't go to as often as the others, but usually leave with something. If you go and you also like records (yes, those things used before CD's) head over to 3757 Sixth Ave (about two blocks away) and check out Record City. They have great prices and the best selection in town of old LP's.

New Bookstores (Independant):

Mysterious Galaxy
7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
A bit of a drive if you are just visiting, but if you are into SciFi, Fantasy, Mystery, or Horror this is the store for you. They have reading and signings throughout the month (everyone from little known local authors to the likes of Neal Gaiman, Charlaine Harris, Kim Stanley Robinson, and Dean Koontz), along with the best stock of genre fiction in town.

Warwick's
7812 Girard Ave.
La Jolla, CA
What's a visit to San Diego without the beach? If you decide to head to the affluent neighborhood of La Jolla, take a stroll into town and visit this store. They carry more general fiction and also have signings and readings by more mainstream authors.

message 6: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 89 comments Thanks Roseann for starting this thread. I travel quite a bit for work and I am always looking for good bookstores. I have actually been to San Diego twice in the last few years. I wish I had known about Mysterious Galaxy! I will definitely be paying a visit next time I'm there.

Unfortunately there isn't much in my area in the way of book stores, other than the major chains...

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Well, they closed down my fave bookstore in Cedarhurst in Long Island NY so...?

I also love The Strand in NYC cheap new books and cheap old ones as well and the selections are endless.

I also like Posman books in Grand Central Terminal (GCT)

Borders is still my all time fave but it is just oo hard to get to. One just opened up in Queens but it is not easy to get to and there is also another one on 5th Avenue but it would take me some time to get there during lunch so I usually would go afterwork. They have the best sales (in comparison to B&N)

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Queen wrote: "In Philly there are 4 in Center City I know of:

3. The Book Trader @ 7 N 2nd Street ..."

Baumans!! Lucky you. I used to be on their mailing list; I still have about 6 magazines from them that I got years back. I would love to visit Baumans.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Roseann, this was a great thread to start. If we travel we can reference this thread! I love visiting bookstores when I travel.

Here's a few in the Los Angeles area:

The Mystery Bookstore in Westwood Village near UCLA. An indie store I love. If you love mysteries, you'll love it too. If you go ask for Bobby or Linda.

Vrommans in Pasadena (indie)

Book Soup on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood (indie)

Yay for the indies!

Borders in Westwood. The best Borders in the area, I think.

Sorry to say that an LA landmark, Duttons in Brentwood closed...that was a sad day.

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments The Book Loft in Solvang, Calif.

I have been shopping there for almost (gulp!) 30 years

message 11: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments Diane wrote: "Roseann, this was a great thread to start. If we travel we can reference this thread! I love visiting bookstores when I travel.

The Mystery Bookstore in..."

I LOVE Book Soup, I'll have to try the other two when I'm up there next time.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Roseann wrote: "Diane wrote: "Roseann, this was a great thread to start. If we travel we can reference this thread! I love visiting bookstores when I travel.

The Myste..."

And I will definitely check out your suggestions when I get down to San Diego!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) Sacramento, California

Beers Books (used and new): S & 10th

Time Tested Books (mostly used, some new): 21st & K

The Book Collector (all used): 24th & J

The Avid Reader (all new): Broadway & 16th

All lovely little stores.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Greenville, South Carolina:

The Carolina Book Rack
23 Shoppers Drive
or
1332 North Pleasantburg Drive
Used books.

The Open Book
110 South Pleasantburg Drive
The local independent.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 130 comments Of course, there are both and Barnes and Noble and Borders within a mile of each other and very close to me. As for used bookstores, I haven't been to very many but I was impressed with Bookman's. I also liked The Bent Cover and Thrifty Joe's. None are very close by and I haven't had time nor money to visit. It's impossible to just "window shop" at a bookstore.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments I'm from Huntsville, Alabama, and there aren't too many in the way of used books stores. There's one called the Booklegger, but it's kinda in a bad part of town, so i don't go there too often. BUT, i work at a Barnes and Noble, so that's where I go!! :) If you're ever in town, go to the the Barnes and Noble in the Bridgestreet Shopping Center and ask for Jen! That's me!

message 17: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay In Washington DC the best I have found are Politics & Prose on Conn Ave near the Tenley area, and Kramerbooks/Afterwords in Dupont Circle. The former is huge, with a coffee shop downstairs and very frequent author events. The latter is smaller and a bit cramped (cozy, I call it) with a full-on restaurant and bar in the back. Both local, both awesome.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments Dorie said:
Here are my favorites for Cincinnati, Ohio:

Best Large Chain: Barnes & Noble, 7800 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati (in the Sycamore Plaza at Kenwood)

that barnes and noble is way better than the one up here in dayton!

but, the best in my part of dayton:
1. barnes and noble (across from fairfield commons)
2. books and co (at the greene)
3. brand new half price books (other side across from fairfield commons)
4. newsreaders (main street in fairborn)

message 19: by Queen (new)

Queen | 74 comments Diane wrote: "Queen wrote: "In Philly there are 4 in Center City I know of:

3. The Book Trader @ 7..."

I haven't been to Bauman's yet. I'll let you know what it's like when I go.

Petra X is addicted to BoredPanda cat pics (petra-x) No-one's listed my store :-(

But then you're all in America and I'm not.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol Petra X wrote: "No-one's listed my store :-(

But then you're all in America and I'm not."

Thats ok. List one from where you are. I only have the big ones like
barnes and noble and Borders . There is one used bookstore called book one. It is a japanese book store. i'm not japanese caN'T READ IT THINK IT OR SPEAK IT.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol carol (akittykat) wrote: "Petra X wrote: "No-one's listed my store :-(

But then you're all in America and I'm not."

Thats ok. List one from where you are. I only have the big ones like
barnes and noble and Borders ...."

i ALSO CAN'T STRUCTURE MY SENTENCES RIGHT. DUMB

message 23: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments Jennifer wrote: "Dorie said:
Here are my favorites for Cincinnati, Ohio:

that barnes and noble is way bet..."

Jennifer, I agree with you about Books & Co. I'm headed up to The Greene myself this weekend. Wish we had one down here that was closer.

message 24: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) I live in Tampa Bay. My favorite bookstore is the two-story Barnes and Noble in the Wiregrass Plaza in Wesley Chapel. I can spend hours there!

For used books, we have a constant supply of cheap books in our various flea markets. These places are like small stores. The books are all set up by genre and also alphabetized. And most are only a buck each. I can go home with a bag full and not feel guilty about the money I spent! One is The Wagon Wheel at 7801 Park Blvd Pinellas Park, FL.

message 25: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments In Canada (Toronto) we have a really great independant book store called The Book Mark on Bloor Street. Also, Book City on Bloor Street (@ Bloor West Village).

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Brenda wrote: "In Canada (Toronto) we have a really great independant book store called The Book Mark on Bloor Street. Also, Book City on Bloor Street (@ Bloor West Village)."

The Book Mark - what a great name for a bookstore!

message 27: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (lindalees) | 22 comments I wish there was a book store in my town (Parsons, KS) to recommend. but we don't have any book stores.
For used books, I go to Joplin, MO (there used to be a good one in Pittsburg, KS but it closed)-there are three I have been to there-one on Joplin St. that I am forgetting the name of (it's just a little bit N of 7th St), Eccentric-books, records, cds, Dvds, vintage clothing, and Vintage Stock. Vintage Stock is a chain but the one in Joplin is the only one with used books-ones in other towns don't have books just comics, cds, dvds.
I can remember the first time I saw the Kansas City Barnes and Noble-some friends and I had gone to see the Xmas lights at Country Club Plaza. B & N is just by it-I went in, saw it had 3 floors of books (and 1 of music) and told my friends to go see the lights and go around the plaza without me-if the store hadn't closed at 11, I don't think they would have got me home that night.

message 28: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 75 comments Lindalee,
I do sympathize completely. I grew up in Fredonia,KS,
in the 50s and 60s, and all we had was the public
library. To this day, it is the only town in America
without a McDonalds or a bookstore of any type. I'm
nearing retirement and think often about returning
there, but when I visit B&N in Raleigh's Brier Creek,
or B&N at the Streets of Southpoint in Durham, I know
I could not live without a bookstore nearby. I don't
know if they have A B&N in Wichita, but it's good to
hear they have one in KC. Thanks.

message 29: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) If anyone happens to be in Melbourne Australia, the best bookstore totally have to be Readers Feast, which you can find on the corner of Bourke and Swanston Streets. Which is in the heart of the city. Every time I go in there my wallet is very much lighter.

message 30: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments If anyone is vacationing in or near Warner NH there is a great independent bookstore on Main Street called MainStreet BookEnds !

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

There is no bookshop in my town! I'm being serious! But I guess that is what happens when you're only a small rural town. If you want to buy a book we've got a target country and they usually have a lot of the popular authors there. But if you want something else you have to go to one of the larger towns and they can be up to 2 hours away.

Or you can be like me and go to the library, if they don't have what you want they can get it in on Inter Library loan and it will only cost $3

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol Sophie wrote: "There is no bookshop in my town! I'm being serious! But I guess that is what happens when you're only a small rural town. If you want to buy a book we've got a target country and they usually have ..."

I suppose you don't like buying off the internet. I have bought used books from amazon for as little as $.99 shipping is usually $3.99 depending upon where you live. I have not had any problem, and the books are in decent to very decent condition.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I have thought of it but I'm really trying to be good at the moment and not buy any more books! I love looking though and when I've got money again I might just do that!

message 34: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 86 comments Dorie wrote: "Here are my favorites for Cincinnati, Ohio:

Best Used Bookstore: Ohio Book Store, 726 Main Street (downtown)

Best New Bookstore: Joseph-Beth Booksellers,
2692 Madison Road, Norwood (in the..."

I live in Cincinnati, too! I completely agree with you for the most part, although I love the Half Price Books in Kenwood (and the other locations are good as well, although not as big).

message 35: by Carol (last edited Sep 07, 2009 05:52AM) (new)

Carol Sophie wrote: "Yeah, I have thought of it but I'm really trying to be good at the moment and not buy any more books! I love looking though and when I've got money again I might just do that!"

I know how that is. There is no one around to share books with? I know when I don't have a book to read ,I feel like I have forgotten a piece of clothing.Someone once asked why I carried two purses. One for me One for my books was my answer.

message 36: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (lindalees) | 22 comments Vonney, Wichita has two Barnes and Nobles and a Borders. I go to Wichita occasionally-anyone recommend good used book stores there?

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz In Northfield, MN there's a bookstore called Monkey See, Monkey Read and in the cities there is a Banres and Noble at the Mall of America. If you're in Columbus, OH go to Easton Town Center--there's a seriously awesome two story Barnes and Noble there (plus tons of other stores).

message 38: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments There's a book store in my hometown called First Edition, that's in Norwich, NY. I haven't been there in years, as I haven't really lived there in years. It's the only place to buy books in Norwich besides Wal-Mart, and yeah Wal-Mart books SUCK! Well, the selection anyways, I mean they only have Twilight and Harlequinns.
In Oneonta, NY there's this place called Rose & Laurel, it's a used book store on Main St. It's amazing, the guy lets his dog just chill out in the store. My only problem is no prices on the books, plus there's piles of books on the floor and it's shoddily organized. Across the street is a new bookstore, called Green Toad or something like that, I haven't had the chance to go, as it's closed when I go into town.
Where I currently live, there are no indy bookstores, otherwise, I'd totally be on that like white on rice! :-D

message 39: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (lindalees) | 22 comments When my husband and I went to the Denver area to visit his brother, I said to him "I have to go to the Tattered Cover". My husband couldn't believe that the first thing I thought of to visit was a book store. The tattered cover lived up to everything I had heard about it.

message 40: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments Sophie wrote: "There is no bookshop in my town! I'm being serious! But I guess that is what happens when you're only a small rural town. If you want to buy a book we've got a target country and they usually have ..."

I am not sure I understand, Sophie. Do you have to pay money to use interlibrary loan?

message 41: by El (new)

El Liz wrote: "In Northfield, MN there's a bookstore called Monkey See, Monkey Read and in the cities there is a Banres and Noble at the Mall of America. If you're in Columbus, OH go to Easton Town Center--there..."

I'm not from Columbus, OH, but get their frequently - I recommend Acorn Books which, as a used bookstore, is probably one of the best and most reasonably priced bookstore I've been to in a long time. The owner knows his shizzle, too.

In Pittsburgh there's Caliban Books and Townsend Booksellers in Oakland, and City Lights (nice-looking store, but high prices) and Eljay's on the South Side. And as a former employee I have to say there are now four Half Price Books stores in the Pittsburgh area. :)

And as a former employee of Columbia Books in Columbia, MO before I moved to Pittsburgh, I also feel the need to give a shout-out there as well. :)

message 42: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 88 comments I live in East Bay (as in east of San Francisco and Oakland) and there's a great new/used bookstore in Lafayette, CA called The Lafayette Bookstore. I love it there and even with $1 hardbacks and $1 kids/young adult books, they still get a lot of my money.

message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jaclyn wrote: "I live in East Bay (as in east of San Francisco and Oakland) and there's a great new/used bookstore in Lafayette, CA called The Lafayette Bookstore. I love it there and even with $1 hardbacks and ..."

I love that area, Jaclyn. I think I'd be much happier up there than I am in LA.

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jaclyn wrote: "I live in East Bay (as in east of San Francisco and Oakland) and there's a great new/used bookstore in Lafayette, CA called The Lafayette Bookstore. I love it there and even with $1 hardbacks and ..."

I love that area, Jaclyn. I think I'd be much happier up there than I am in LA.

message 45: by Jaclyn (last edited Sep 09, 2009 08:29AM) (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 88 comments "Jaclyn wrote: "I live in East Bay (as in east of San Francisco and Oakland)...

Diane wrote: I love that area, Jaclyn. I think I'd be much happier up there than I am in LA..."

I love it here too. We just moved from Kansas City last year and it's been quite a change, but mostly in a good way. A bit more expensive, but the weather is fantastic 90% of the time, it's a beautiful area and there's so much to do. We've made ourselves quite happy here. Let me know if you decide to move!!!

message 46: by Rita (new)

Rita Other than B&N and Borders we have Books & Books in the Gables which I don't get to that often as it's a bit of a drive. There is also a used book store in Pembroke Pines call Volume One. The corner of Taft and Douglas. She has a great selection and has a 1/2 price policy on her books. I can usually find what I want in there.

I live in South Florida.

message 47: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) Lindalee wrote: "When my husband and I went to the Denver area to visit his brother, I said to him "I have to go to the Tattered Cover". My husband couldn't believe that the first thing I thought of to visit was a..."

I love the Tattered Cover

message 48: by Tammy AZ (last edited Sep 14, 2009 10:17PM) (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) In Phoenix (Scottsdale) there's a great independent store called "The Poisoned Pen". It's mainly mysteries but also has some other books. They get a ton of authors in too.
A very good used store is Bookmans - there are actually locations in Mesa, Phoenix, Tucson,and Flagstaff and they all worth visiting.
And last but by far not least is Changing Hands in Tempe - this is an awesome store, (Yay for independents!) it has some used, mostly new books and they get a lot of authors also. They are also attached to a good restaurant/coffee shop.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) | 32 comments I'm not a fan of used books, so I really don't know of any used books in the 3 areas I frequent (San Antonio, Dallas, and Oklahoma City). However, this is a great locally-owned bookstore in Oklahoma City called Full Circle that might be the best bookstore on earth. They have a similar selection to B&N or Borders, and they also have rolling ladders, fire places, free coffee... Most of th people who work there are a little older and all of them know so much about books.

message 50: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Mose | 13 comments Great to see so many people listing independent bookstores! Count your blessings, guys. I live in France, in the deep countryside, and finding a decent selection of English books without resorting to the internet is no picnic. Luckily I've got a just 45 minute drive to get to JP's Books in Salviac - it's well worth it. If you're ever in the Lot region of France and need an English book, it's charming. New and used. I had no idea Duttons in Brentwood had closed! Very sad.

« previous 1