Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Tuesday Trauma: Lost Book

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments September is NOT starting well!

I started my Trim book today before heading to work: Exit West . I've owned the trade paper for ages and was absolutely thrilled when it came up for September. It was also short (my August was long). Just what I needed for a very busy week. I really liked what I was reading so of course continued reading as I commuted.

I had a bunch of errands and meetings to do on my way into my office. Naturally, I read every minute I can. I was reading on the bus as I traveled between meetings, foolishly not putting the book back into my bag when I needed to check my phone or send an email or was handing over something at the post office or whatever.

You know what happened, don't you.

After the last stop -- a UPS Store -- I headed onto the last leg of my commute, busily responding to some work emails and texts enroute. When I finished, I reached into my bag for Exit West...it wasn't there.

I looked in my purse - not there.

I looked around my seat, on the floor - no book.

Sigh. I really don't want to buy it again, so I log into NYPL to see if I can immediately borrow the ebook. Nope. They only have audio and I really dislike audio. I do not have time to go to an actual NYPL branch to get the physical book, nor stop at a bookstore and buy it again. But I can buy it again in ebook and download on my tablet/phone.

I pull up Amazon and Yikes! it's like $12.99!

By then I'd reached the office and the opportunity to read while commuting was gone. Before I head home tonight though I'm buying it in ebook.

And I really hope whoever found my trade paper copy of the book reads it and loves it.

Given Amy's Trim trouble first finding a copy then downloading it to read, is September shaping up to be a challenging Trim month for reasons other than the actual books themselves?

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3407 comments Oh no, sorry to hear about your book trauma!

But, that reminds me... I need to start the buddy read thread for this. Will do tomorrow.

I don't think *knock on wood* that I have lost a book I was in the middle of reading. Yikes, that would be devastating.

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5586 comments I feel your pain.

I suppose there were too many stops to retrace your steps, and too many people who might have picked it up in the meantime.

At least it wasn't a library book, or you'd have to pay a fee (I think it's $10 in my library) on top of the actual replacement cost of the book.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6228 comments I have a deep fear of losing a book I'm reading, so I've never developed the habit of taking a book with me everywhere and then of course are multiple times that I wish I had a book with me.

message 5: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8651 comments Theresa wrote: "September is NOT starting well!

I started my Trim book today before heading to work: Exit West . I've owned the trade paper for ages and was absolutely thrilled when it came up fo..."

Does your transit have a lost and found? Call to find out. I suppose, since so many people just leave books lying around for someone else to pick up and read, it may not get turned in, but give it a try.

(I left an umbrella on a bus once. It took a few days, but someone turned it in! (It was a distinctive blue plaid, so easy to say for sure that it was actually mine.) I think I had to call over the course of a few days, but eventually it was there. (I kept trying because it was that distinctive blue plaid! Not sure I would have kept trying if it had been a plain black umbrella.)

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments NancyJ wrote: "I feel your pain.

I suppose there were too many stops to retrace your steps, and too many people who might have picked it up in the meantime.

At least it wasn't a library book, or you'd have to..."

I frankly just did not have the time to retrace my steps. And I am quite sure it was either on a bus or at a bus stop. On a bus is a lost cause. Something similar happened a few months ago -- I left my tablet (on which I read ebooks) behind. I realized as soon as the bus left the bus stop so I got off at the next stop (only about 4 blocks away) and walked back - it was already gone from the bench in the bus shelter. Fortunately it was an old tablet with a cracked screen and I already had the replacement fully loaded. I was just still using the old one until the battery gave out completely.

This kind of thing is not like me at all. It's a sign of just how overwhelmed with work I am - my mind is too caught up with various legal matters and clients.

message 7: by Theresa (last edited Sep 03, 2019 07:35PM) (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments Booknblues wrote: "I have a deep fear of losing a book I'm reading, so I've never developed the habit of taking a book with me everywhere and then of course are multiple times that I wish I had a book with me."

Well given most of my reading is done while commuting -- both to/from the office and between closings and meetings -- and as I just posted, I also lost a tablet I was using to read on a few months ago in the same fashion -- I'd always have a book with me. I've also left hats, sunglasses, gloves and umbrellas...but only when my mind is overly engaged.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Theresa wrote: "September is NOT starting well!

I started my Trim book today before heading to work: Exit West . I've owned the trade paper for ages and was absolutely thrilled wh..."

Yes they do and I did not bother. Books never seem to be turned in. And even very distinctive hats and such have never seemed to be turned in. One winter I lost a felted wool hat I bought in Paris on the MTA bus, very distinctive, and it was never turned in or at least they never said it was. I was the last person off that bus too at the final stop so the driver clearly had to have found that hat. I still mourn its loss.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Theresa, i can get you a copy of the ebook if you would like.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments Jason wrote: "Theresa, i can get you a copy of the ebook if you would like."

That would be great! Do you need my email or some such?

Thanks so much!

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Yes your email. You can send a private message.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments Jason wrote: "Yes your email. You can send a private message."

Doing now!

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments I'm back in business! Jason, you just turned my entire week around!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8878 comments Oh Theresa, I feel your pain.... That's just terrible!

A million times I have tried to download this silly 100 pager from my phone to the laptop. It keeps telling me my computer isn't authorized to download it, and I have to get authorization from the store. Its there, purchased in the library. Want to scream.

My library was of absolutely no help! In fact, they annoyed me greatly today for other reasons. They moved the community puzzle to the second floor, where they also had put the books for sale. Nobody goes up there. Nobody comes to the library to do the puzzle. They come to pick up their books, and stay a bit. Or the kids work on the puzzle as a distraction, while the adults do their business. Its not a destination. Same with the books. The hand dryer machines in the ladies room did nothing. My hands were still wet. Went to fill out the suggestion box. No paper or pencils. Not happy with my library today....

Theresa, hope Jason gets you the copy. Best, Amy

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy what book is it. I will see if I can get a vopy for you that will work.

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7901 comments Oh Theresa! I see your books are slithering off without your consent still-glad Jason was able to come to your rescue!

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8878 comments The Angel in My Well. I’m half way through it on my phone. It’s a silly little thing so far. Meant to be religious and profound, but it’s neither yet... there is also another character who is a terrorist. I have no idea how that story relates. Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with this thing!

message 18: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6228 comments Amy wrote: "The Angel in My Well. I’m half way through it on my phone. It’s a silly little thing so far. Meant to be religious and profound, but it’s neither yet... there is also another character who is a ter..."

I've noticed that many of our Trims haven't been great choices. Last months The Invisible Bridge was a good one for me, by my number 3 was not great, but it was a quick read.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments I've only had one bad Trim read - The Rule of Four. Almost all the rest have been really excellent, and maybe one slightly less so. Exit West is living up to that.

When I put together my Trim list, I mixed up what was on there -- a lot were the 'next by author' or 'next in series' of authors I love and had been wanting to read but not getting to. A couple, including Exit West, were TBR recommendations from good friends, others were from my wishlist/hold list at NYPL, and a whole bunch were just books piled on my nightstand, by the sofa, or on my GR want to read list. I avoided putting too many overly serious (meaning non-fiction) or overly long books on it as I wanted the reading to be fun and also feel I'm accomplishing something - as in reading the interesting mystery I just never seem to get to.

As a result, chances were really strong I'd be reading something I really really wanted to read and was highly likely to love.

message 20: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 04, 2019 04:15PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5586 comments Theresa wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "I have a deep fear of losing a book I'm reading, so I've never developed the habit of taking a book with me everywhere and then of course are multiple times that I wish I had a b..."

All my life I had it in the back of my mind that someday I will live in New York City, even though my husband would never consider it. (Did anyone else ever have 'runaway from home' fantasies as an adult?) But now I realize I'm just too reliant on my car. I would keep dropping stuff if I were commuting any other way. I no longer travel like I once did, but I still always have books on CD, library books, and tons of other stuff for everyday living, all in my car. I probably have 5 pairs of reading glasses there now. It was worse when I was teaching. I had a portable flip chart back there for awhile.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7458 comments NancyJ wrote: "(Did anyone else ever have 'runaway from home' fantasies as an adult?) .."

Um, I still do????

message 22: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5586 comments Theresa wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "(Did anyone else ever have 'runaway from home' fantasies as an adult?) .."

Um, I still do????"

(whisper) me too.

message 23: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Booknblues wrote: "I've noticed that many of our Trims haven't been great choices. Last months The Invisible Bridge was a good one for me, by my number 3 was not great..."

I had some wonderful highs and few horrible lows in my Trim list, but even the ones I highly disliked - have been waiting on my TBR for ages and I would have gotten to them at some point (or continued hoping I would) - so at least they don't crowd my TBR anymore