What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult science fiction dystopia. Male protagonist lives in a primitive village where they have to fight other creatures ( mutants/experiments) for food which is scarce. Vague spoilers ahead

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb | 2 comments SPOILERS CONTAINED (at least I think so)

From what I can remember of the plot the protagonist lives in a primitive society where there’s a constant struggle for food. This village has conflicts with mutants (I believe one race are large humanoids with blue skin and possibly four arms). The female relatives of the men which go out hunting for food record their ages on tally sticks in a off-limit building (it’s bad luck if they know their age?
They’re always witnessing metallic objects hovering around. One day the protagonist saw one speeding through the sky before crashing and like any mc decides it’s his buisness to check it out. There ensues a long trip to find the object. I believe they come across it in or close too a swampy area. (I think this is what happens next) When they get to the object they discover it’s a capsule and inside there’s a beautiful unmarred girl with amnesia (slightly cliche).
I believe it’s then they decide to find out where she came from. In the village there was always a legend of “the wall” a place you reach if you walk far enough in any direction. Anyway the end up reaching the wall and somehow ascend it (I can’t remember details) the find themselves in a futuristic city where it turns out they are all in a Truman show-esqe arena where their daily struggle for survival is filmed and televised for people’s entertainment and the mutants are experiments preformed by the shows maker.

From what I remember the book I read was a hard back in a red sleeve, I think there was a flint knife on the cover but I’m not sure. I vaguely recall the title being one or two words, a noun like meat, hunter, skin, bone, knife, blade, with perhaps ‘the’ before it.

I have searched for these and other synonyms but perhaps I’m incorrectly rembering the title.

I believe the author had a somewhat french sounding name, but don’t hold me to that.

I read the book sometime between 2001 and 2009 it would probably have been a British version

message 2: by Caleb (new)

Caleb | 2 comments Peadar Ó GuilínThe Inferior

So I found the book it was The Inferior by Peadar Ó Guilín

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16979 comments Glad you found it, and thanks for letting us know.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Inferior (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peadar Ó Guilín (other topics)