Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Embassytown
This topic is about Embassytown
Challenges - Discussion > Author's Birthday Challenge: September 2019 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Ready

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 724 comments I've been meaning to read Embassytown for ages; I'm definitely in!

message 3: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3387 comments Mod
I'm in as well. So far I heard a lot of acclaim for China Miéville, but the only two novellas I've read were so-so. Let's see how his larger work turns out

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments I loved the exploration of the native language in which it is impossible to lie.

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3604 comments Mod
I totally failed to complete whichever of his I tried years ago. Looking at a list of his books, I think it was Perdido Street Station, also on our list. So I will be trying this and we shall see if I make it though.

message 6: by Allan (new) - added it

Allan Phillips | 1850 comments Mod
I read The City and The City awhile back. It was pretty good. Mieville's writing is beautiful, but It has a certain poetic quality to it where I find I have to read a little more slowly and carefully. I started on Embassytown, about 5% in.

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 724 comments City and the City was really good, at least idea- and concept-wise, but the plot wasn't bad either.

I've also read Mieville's novella This Cencus-Taker, which wasn't so hot: it was needlessly complicated and post-modern in a bad way.

message 8: by Allan (new) - added it

About 1/3 through. It's holding my interest and I look forward to seeing how the main character plays into the events. The language aspects remind me of Babel-17 and the Star Trek TNG episode where Picard learns to communicate with people who speak in similes of legends. Like The City & The City, the structure is a little challenging but I'm making my way through.

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I am really liking this book, but I have gotten no further. So many books, so little time. I may get it done. But I am not sure,

Bryan, when is this challenge over?

message 10: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I am really liking this book, but I have gotten no further. So many books, so little time. I may get it done. But I am not sure,

Bryan, when is this challenge over?"

I started it the other day and I'm enjoying it as well. Very mysterious. The challenge ends 9/30, but if it takes us longer no harm done.

message 11: by Allan (new) - added it

Halfway through, the picture's starting to come together.....sort of.......

message 12: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

I plan to start reading it tomorrow if time allows

message 13: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have read over half of the book and I like it even if I ain't sure I understood how the Language works. This is a very nice SF, much better that This Census-Taker and The Last Days of New Paris I've read before. Here I clearly see, he has a talent. More in spoilers thread later

message 14: by Allan (new) - added it

I'm 80% through and really enjoying it. This is sophisticated, complex, riveting stuff.

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 724 comments I'm something like 60% through and I'm completely hooked. The worldbuilding is fantastic and the story moves forward in unexpected ways. This is really good.

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I am just starting the second chapter. I was going to skip it, and then you guys all said how good it was . . . damn, less than 48 hours to October!

message 17: by Allan (new) - added it

Yeah, stick with it, Kate, it is worth it! The weekend has not been kind to my reading - we adopted another dog - but I will finish the last 60 pages tomorrow for sure.