Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Speculative/Social Sci-fi/Natural Fantasy/Literary Fiction, Part 1 of Novel [40,000 words], read as many of the chapters as you like.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leonardo (last edited Sep 03, 2019 08:46PM) (new)

Leonardo Maniscalco | 3 comments This is a book I've been working on, on and off, for the past year. I'm not done writing it, but I've finished a draft of the first half (approx. 40,000 words). This is my first go at writing prose fiction, and so I want to get an impression of what people think, before I go any further into writing the second half (I know the major plot points, and have bits and pieces written). But I'd also be grateful for any and all advice: on specific word choice or sentence structures or concepts, things which you think should be removed, things which you think could be added, etc.

Summary:
It is about a girl who comes from a temple of scholarly monks, who collect esoteric knowledge, and believe that they keep the world alive by upholding a ritual, wherein some of them must be constantly singing a specific note. She has been isolated from the outside world, and all that she knows of it comes from old books. Then she is made to leave the temple, and must go on a quest to discover another isolated community, which is very different from hers, and take a linguistic and anthropological account of their culture. It is a coming of age story of sorts, as it follows this girl and her discovery of a larger world and herself, but it also focuses a lot on the themes of perspective, and the relativity of meaning and significance across the axes of culture, distance, and time.

I've got no deadline, and am open to having people read any amount of what I've written so far. I would recommend reading the first three chapters (10,000 words) at least, to get a sense of what this piece is, but the first two chapters (3,500 words) would also be okay. I would not recommend reading the first chapter alone, as it is really more of a prologue.

Thanks for hearing me out, and thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 12 comments Hi Leonardo,

If you are still looking for betareaders, please let me know. Monk on a journey sounds interesting!

Thanks,
Alex

message 3: by Leonardo (new)

Leonardo Maniscalco | 3 comments I am still looking for betas! i would love to share it with you. i must warn you though, that it is pretty verbose, and some people have complained about that. its much closer to a "classic" literary style than it is modern i think, though it's not really "classic" either, more of a "spin on classic". anyway i hope that doesn't discourage you, but i realize that a lot of people aren't into that sort of thing. so i wont be offended if you chose not to read it.

I would recommend giving it a try though, the first 3 chapters ideally (the story picks up after chapter 2), but at least the first 2. If you stop after the first chapter then i've really failed, because that's what a lot of people have told me most readers are going to do, since the first chapter has no "hook", no action, its a prologue which is entirely exposition. It's not that long though, just a few hundred words, and then a few hundred more introducing the MC, but not like some old books I've read, which have 30 page long introductions, lol.

Anyway how would you like me to send it to you?