Support for Indie Authors discussion

Ebook Publishing > Kindle Unlimited and KENP reports

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments I remember seeing a post here or somewhere else on the site that said a KU or KOLL reader has to get through at least 10% of a book before there are any royalties paid to the author. I also read that policy had changed.

I get a KENP report for each of my titles, that is supposed to tell me how many pages have been read through KU or KOLL, Is there still a threshold of some kind? The answer I got from KDP tech support suggested the KENP report would tell me about any activity, even if somebody read only one or two pages. Can anyone set me straight on this?

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4269 comments Mod
Not sure where you saw 10%, but I don't think it was here. Even if they read one page, you should see something on your report.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments Dwayne wrote: "Not sure where you saw 10%, but I don't think it was here. Even if they read one page, you should see something on your report."

That's what I thought. I have someone who insists she read one of my titles through KU, but when I looked at the report, I didn't see any page reads from the time period she said she read it.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Sells | 99 comments I had the same thing once, Robert, where someone said they read my book on KU but the page reads just weren't there. However, all of a sudden, a few days later, I got a spike in my page reads for that title, the number being equal to the number of pages in the whole book. I think (though I'm not 100% certain) that it's because she downloaded the book via KU and read it offline, then when she came back online with her Kindle, the page reads registered in the system. Maybe that's what has happened with your reader?

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Noon (emilynoon) | 5 comments I also read that Amazon only pays out after the person who downloaded the book in KU gets past the first 10%. I cant remember where I read it though.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan LaBash | 24 comments It seems to pay no matter how many normalized pages are read. It is more fun to see the big spikes though! And in the beta version you can see the different countries.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments Valerie wrote: "I had the same thing once, Robert, where someone said they read my book on KU but the page reads just weren't there. However, all of a sudden, a few days later, I got a spike in my page reads for t..."

KDP tech support verifies this. If a user reads your book offline, the page reads register only after the user logs in from their device. That's not what happened, however. It involves a disagreement with a Goodreads member over a topic that we are not supposed to talk about here.

message 8: by David (new)

David Noel | 17 comments I wonder if they read the book during the free trial period of KU and Amazon didn't count the pages read until after the person paid for the subscription to KU (to prevent anyone from signing up, puffing up page reads and then declining the subscription). That's just a guess though, no data to back it up except that Amazon is pretty aggressive about trying to prevent people from abusing their algorithms.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments David wrote: "I wonder if they read the book during the free trial period of KU and Amazon didn't count the pages read until after the person paid for the subscription to KU (to prevent anyone from signing up, p..."

In this case, no. I don't know what Zon does during the trial period, but I suspect they pay the royalties regardless. Loss leaders.

message 10: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Jolie (booksmyladypartslove) | 10 comments Nora Roberts did a well passed around blog post about folks plagiarizing books and then gaming the KU system for page reads. For the life of me, I can't figure out how those financials work out. Just how many fake KU accounts would be needed to make that kind of an effort worthwhile? But, given the preponderance of folks claiming the KU system is being gamed, I'm sure Amazon is all over it trying to stop unethical behavior. I could imagine someone using free trials and a lot of worker bees through something like Fiver to get those fake accounts/reads - but still, it's hard to imagine the margins would work out favorably. Anyway, in terms of KU free trial, Amazon would still be required to honor any royalty agreements with authors. But I think your theory of a delay in processing page reads from free trials makes sense, if Amazon is evaluating free trial accounts for fraud.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments Sadly, I think it is impoverished people who end up being used to game the system.

However, it must be satisfying for some Amazon employees when they catch the perpetrators.

message 12: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 809 comments These people are to lazy to learn how to write and market. They are the ones who will take the easy way out every time. Think of them as the kid who looked over your shoulder during tests because they didn't study and want to use your knowledge to pass. There are so many 'clone' books out there and the poor buyer doesn't know and buys the book because it's cheap. Clone books are very common in the non-fiction category as they are easy to pull some of the information and then publish a book in a day or two. Fiction is a little harder to do. As to getting readers, you spend a little in ads, hire an overseas person who has a hundred accounts and there you go, instant fans and money. When it climbs in the ranks, more unsuspecting readers get the book, increasing the scammer's coffers.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments I think we're getting a little off topic here.

message 14: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 273 comments Mod
David wrote: "I wonder if they read the book during the free trial period of KU and Amazon didn't count the pages read until after the person paid for the subscription to KU (to prevent anyone from signing up, p..."

Sounds like a good possibility though, David

message 15: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 273 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "I think we're getting a little off topic here."

I agree Robert. Let's try to stay on course. I have been paid for as little as 2 pages, so I don't think a 10 percent rule applies.

message 16: by Anna (last edited Sep 09, 2019 02:12AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments Eldon wrote:

I agree Robert. Let's try to stay on course. I have been paid for as little as 2 pages, so I don't think a 10 percent rule applies."

I've found the same, Eldon.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments I recall that I read it in a forum post in one of the groups I follow here. It might have been several years old. I think someone in the same thread commented later that the policy had been rescinded. From what I'm hearing here and from KDP, that is indeed the case.

KDP told me that I would see all page reads, but that it could take up to 48 hours for them to be updated in my KENP report. They also said pages read offline would be recorded as soon as a Kindle goes on line and the user signs into her account.