CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Threads > Week 35/36 - What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 697 comments Mod
Happy September! I hope everyone enjoyed their long holiday weekend. Did you do anything fun? Any last hurrahs before the end of summer?

September's Online Book Club theme is Back to School. Join us by reading a book you would normally read in school. And no, Spark Notes don't count. ;)

September's Take It or Leave It is now live. Do one, do all, do none. It's totally up to you.

What is everyone reading this week? Any fall themed books? I managed to finish A House of Salt and Sorrows over the weekend. Part murder mystery, part retelling, part horror, it was a wonderfully atmospheric tale. I grabbed Spin the Dawn for this week which is a Mulan retelling. I guess I'm just in the mood for retellings. Do you ever just get in the mood for certain kinds of books?

Tell us what you are reading!

House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1) by Elizabeth Lim

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thorlton | 24 comments I just finished American Predator (about serial killer Israel Keyes). I’m reading Slaughterhouse-Five this week. I can’t remember if I’ve read it and forgotten it or if I’ve meant to read it and never gotten around to it. Short books are key right now with a new baby! I’m looking more at page count than I am genre, haha.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Newman | 36 comments I have to read a book for a CFP class called Asset Management. It’s got some practical advise and dumbed down terms along with some complex concepts. I’m not as bored as I’d feared I would be ❤️

message 4: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 45 comments every Fall I seem to read a history book. This year it's a fascinating history of Silicon Valley and the tech boom, beginning post WWII, called The Code, by Margaret O'Mara. in the chapters, she also demonstrates the systems and barriers that kept women and minority groups largely excluded from tech culture, while she explains the evolution of the industry and why it developed in a sleepy area of California.