What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Chapter Book - Kids held captive and fed protein pellets

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey Wagnor | 1 comments I read this book around 1992 or 1993. It was from the "chapter books" area in the children's section of the library, but not "Young Adult." I was about 10 years old when I read it. (English book. I am in the US.)

Here's what I remember. There were children being held captive in a experiment of some kind. It was just the kids and they did not have access to the outdoors or to any other people, not even the people conducting the experiment. (I think that they had been abducted and woke up there?) The setting was strange, and evoked MC Escher House of Stairs imagery. The other thing that really stands out to me is the "food" that these children were given. It was a pellet of some kind. Not necessarily like dog food, but more like if you ground up beef jerky and pressed into the size/shape of a bottle cap. The time and amount that they were fed varied and became quite contentious. The book had a sci-fi dystopian feel to it.

I have no recollection of the ending of the story.

Does this sound familiar to anyone??

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19036 comments Maybe too obvious, but House of Stairs?

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19036 comments Still looking, Casey?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 139 comments I definitely second 'House of Stairs'.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35148 comments Mod
Note: Casey was last active on the site in September 2019.