Play Book Tag discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
Archive: Other Books > Daisy Jones & The Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid - 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Sep 03, 2019 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Reid uses a new and innovative way to tell a fictional oral history. I am torn on the format of the book. Reading it was not nearly as powerful as listening, but while listening, I sometimes I could not identify the voice of who was speaking. So, I read the book while listening to the audiobook. This format is more for documentaries, so having a visual and audio was the best option. The audiobook is greatly done, wonderful production and made the story real.

The focus of the story is Daisy Jones and women stepping outside of predefined roles, which is a major theme of the book, but the book spoke so much more to me. Love, loss, belonging, priorities, addiction, and perspectives.

The basis of this story was inspired by Stevie Nix and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. I have read several Rock 'n 'Roll autobiographies and I saw reflections of many real life stories. I saw Lennon and McCartney of The Beatles and Slash and Axl Rose of Guns 'N' Roses. The drug use of The Beatles, Guns 'N' Roses, and even solo artists such as Eric Clapton was evident. This book really captured the essence of 70s rock 'n' roll. I even saw Bradley Copper and Lady Gaga performing "Shallow" at the Oscars and all the conversation surrounding that performance.

The band's story though seemed so much more simple than real life stories. The interactions between band members much more elementary than real life stories which is why I took away a half star.

I kept reading wishing I could listen to these songs. I wanted to hear for myself what was being described. For those that listened to the book, all the lyrics for the Aurora album are listed in the back. Reid mentioned she wanted the reader to hear the story that was being told and then being able to read the lyrics and to decide for yourself if their story backed up the lyrics they were writing, which I thought to be a wonderful addition to the story.

I loved this book, just wished it was more complex. I could see another 100 pages or so with more stories and anecdotes instead of so focused on an end goal.

I recommend getting the book and audiobook and enjoying them together.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Just started this one. I'll read your review after I finish so I don't let it influence me. So far, I like it!