21st Century Literature discussion

Book Chat > 2019 Scotiabank Giller Prize

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2299 comments Thanks Marc. I always find something good on this list that I would never have otherwise heard about.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 143 comments I'd love to hear comments about any of these books. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read any; in fact, I've only even heard about the Atwood.

message 4: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 26 comments Ellie wrote: "I'd love to hear comments about any of these books. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read any; in fact, I've only even heard about the Atwood."

Of the writers I have read: (I haven't read any of the books). Atwood is always so, so good. I have a bit of a crush on Michael Crummey. Saw him at a writers' festival a few years ago. His Sweetland is one of my favourites. I will start with him.

message 5: by David (new)

David | 242 comments I've read 3 books by (recent Giller winner) André Alexis, Atwood's book is pretty well known (despite the fact no one has read it), and I read some short stories by Alix Ohlin, but the other authors seem to be names I don't recognize. I'll have to look up more about a bunch of these books to see if they are worth a shot.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 67 comments I'm a fan of David Bezmogis's writing so look forward to that one (and it looks like my library copy should arrive soon). Also a fan of Alexis, I loved Fifteen Dogs. And Crummey's Sweetland is one of my all time favourites. So overall I like this list a lot and look forward to reading several of them. Thanks for posting Hugh I missed this news yesterday!

I've read Alex Ohlin's short stories too and enjoyed them well enough, but I'll wait to see the shortlist before deciding on that one.

message 7: by Hugh (last edited Sep 04, 2019 04:05AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2576 comments Mod
I have not read any of these, but I have read plenty of Atwood and two novels by Adam Foulds. Foulds is British but has a Canadian wife and has worked in Canada.

message 8: by David (new)

David | 242 comments Hugh wrote: "I have not read any of these, but I have read plenty of Atwood and two novels by Adam Foulds. Foulds is British but has a Canadian wife and has worked in Canada."

Interesting. I had thought that citizenship was required to be eligible for the prize, but the prize rules say "a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada". So Rachel Cusk qualifies (and was shortlisted in previous years) because she is a citizen, despite almost never having lived in Canada, while Foulds is eligible because he is a permanent resident.