Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Monthly Challenge > September Challenge: I finished!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This thread is to mark your completion of the September challenge for the prompt: "a book set on a college or university campus." You can join in with the group read of A Discovery of Witches, or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please.

message 2: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 809 comments Title: The Secret History
Author: Donna Tartt
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? My state school was nothing like this.
Would you recommend? Yes, I loved this book.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3067 comments Mod
Milena wrote: "Title: The Secret History
Author: Donna Tartt
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? My state school was nothing like this.
Would you recommend? Yes, I ..."

This is what I plan to read for this prompt as well. I loved The Goldfinch

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 668 comments Title: Harvard Yard
Author: William Martin
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Not really. I went to a small, not very well known school, which is probably about as far from Harvard as you can get
Would you recommend? Yes. I love William Martin and they way he weaves the past story in with the present. Although there was on pretty significant aspect that ticked me off.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 433 comments Title: Bunny
Author: Mona Awad
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Thankfully, only a little bit. The pretentiousness of the writing classes hit a bit close to home for me since I studied English and theatre--and pretensions run high in both!
Would you recommend? If you want a truly bizarre reading experience, then yes.

message 6: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1084 comments Title: Crashing Heat
Author: Richard Castle (who is a fictional author from the TV show "Castle" and is really written by an anonymous writer)

Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? The story dealt with a murder on campus, so thankfully it doesn't bring back any college memories.

Would you recommend? Yes, although it would make sense to read the previous 8 books of the series first. It is an enjoyable read if you like your mysteries to be a little lighthearted, or if you have a crush on Nathan Fillion (the star of the TV show) and like every opportunity to think about him . . . or maybe that's just me.

message 7: by Britany (new)

Britany | 645 comments Title: Educated
Author: Tara Westover
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I can only dream of having an Oxford experience with a sophisticated writing group.
Would you recommend? Yes! My favorite of the year so far.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Katy wrote: "Title: Harvard Yard
Author: William Martin
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Not really. I went to a small, not very well known school, which is probably about as far from Ha..."

Oh, my, it has been so long since I read this book, but I loved it and have yet to get back to Martin... Thanks for the reminder!

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Britany wrote: "Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I can only dream of having an Oxford experience with a sop..."

I don't think I realized this would fit this prompt! Now I'm torn. Maybe I'll have time to read this AND The Secret History! A girl can dream... ;)

message 10: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 809 comments Lynn wrote: "Britany wrote: "Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I can only dream of having an Oxford exper..."

I read both books this year and loved them. You should definitely make time for both.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Milena wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Britany wrote: "Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I can only dream of having an..."

Thanks for the recommendation(s)! Fingers crossed... :)

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments Title: The Name of the Wind
Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Not at all.
Would you recommend?
Only to people who enjoy high fantasy. This book was the start to an interesting story. In general, I struggle with high fantasy being indirect in telling a story so I don't know if I will continue the series.

message 13: by Britany (new)

Britany | 645 comments Lynn wrote: "Milena wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Britany wrote: "Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I can only dre..."

I'm not a Tartt fan, so I would choose Educated if you had to pick just one, but I think you can do it and read both! ;)

message 14: by Lilith (new)

Lilith (lilithp) | 703 comments Title: Obedience
Author: Will Lavender

Yes, as far as eccentric professors and some of the classroom scenes in the novel reminded me of seminars. Very different setting to my experience, and I may have had some quirky profs, but they were always ethical.

Would you recommend? YES! I definitely connected the dots, but did the 'arithmetic' incorrectly, so the ending was a surprise. I enjoyed that.
Best of all, it took me a while to get back to "reality" - best attribute of a book to me is when I have to adjust to the "real world" place and time. I suppose some trigger warnings for some allusion to abuse and to some bits of violence, YMMV. I really LOVED it - tied for best book read this year.

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg | 38 comments Title: Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town
Author: Jon Krakauer

Luckily, no...

Would you recommend?
Yes! Given the subject matter, I wasn't sure to like it, but was pleasantly surprised by how gripping it was.

message 16: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 154 comments Title: Academic Curveball
Author: James J Cudney

Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Not really - I wasn't at college in the US, so baseball and pep rallies didn't really figure!

Would you recommend? Yes - for people who like cozy mysteries, even though the feel is slightly different to many being a male author and POV character

message 17: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Brown (shksprsis) | 4 comments Title: The Black Witch
Author: Laurie Forest
Does the book remind you of your time in school? Not really. Other than the magical aspect of things, I didn’t get bullied like Ren does.
Would you recommend? I would. It starts off really slowly and I almost gave up on it, but the second half really picks up and I can’t wait to read the sequel.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Britany wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Milena wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Britany wrote: "Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? Some, but I..."

Ha! Ha! I appreciate the vote of confidence! :)

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan | 299 comments Title: Educated
Does this story bring back school-time memories for you? No, but it did remind me of when I visited BYU a few years ago for a hiring event.
Would you recommend? Yes, but I'd warn the person I was recommending it to about the difficult subject matter.