Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Great Alone
This topic is about The Great Alone
Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > The Great Alone - September 4th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5946 comments Mod
Hi all! Gina and I are reading The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah starting September 4th. Everyone is welcome to join. Please discuss here and use spoiler tags as needed.

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

Alaska, 1974.
Unpredictable. Unforgiving. Untamed.
For a family in crisis, the ultimate test of survival.

Ernt Allbright, a former POW, comes home from the Vietnam war a changed and volatile man. When he loses yet another job, he makes an impulsive decision: he will move his family north, to Alaska, where they will live off the grid in America’s last true frontier.

Thirteen-year-old Leni, a girl coming of age in a tumultuous time, caught in the riptide of her parents’ passionate, stormy relationship, dares to hope that a new land will lead to a better future for her family. She is desperate for a place to belong. Her mother, Cora, will do anything and go anywhere for the man she loves, even if it means following him into the unknown

At first, Alaska seems to be the answer to their prayers. In a wild, remote corner of the state, they find a fiercely independent community of strong men and even stronger women. The long, sunlit days and the generosity of the locals make up for the Allbrights’ lack of preparation and dwindling resources.

But as winter approaches and darkness descends on Alaska, Ernt’s fragile mental state deteriorates and the family begins to fracture. Soon the perils outside pale in comparison to threats from within. In their small cabin, covered in snow, blanketed in eighteen hours of night, Leni and her mother learn the terrible truth: they are on their own. In the wild, there is no one to save them but themselves.

In this unforgettable portrait of human frailty and resilience, Kristin Hannah reveals the indomitable character of the modern American pioneer and the spirit of a vanishing Alaska―a place of incomparable beauty and danger. The Great Alone is a daring, beautiful, stay-up-all-night story about love and loss, the fight for survival, and the wildness that lives in both man and nature.

message 2: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 03, 2019 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Officially started reading last night. What made you want to read this book? One of the reasons compelling me to read this book is Alaska always awes me. I think I like the thought of being away from crowds of people, living off the land, cool temperatures, nature, beauty, etc. It might not have been the best selection, since I believe after reading the blurb above things go "south". I'm curious to discover how this mom and daughter duo persevere. I'm currently on page 29. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 03, 2019 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Progressed to page 48. Told you I was quite slow. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

You’re not slow to me! Lol I’m going to start tomorrow. I can’t wait to read your spoilers. :)

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "You’re not slow to me! Lol I’m going to start tomorrow. I can’t wait to read your spoilers. :)" I'm off to a quicker start then usual. Once I get back to working my 12hr shifts my pace will become snail like. lol. Can't wait for you to start.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wanted to read it partly because it was written by Kristin Hannah and I enjoy her writing. I particularly loved The Nightingale. I also wanted to read it because it was set in Alaska and as you said the remote setting just grabbed me. I’m also interested because it’s set in the 1970s. That’s an interesting time period and I don’t come across many novels set in that period. I’m really looking forward to this one. I think it has great potential.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, I understand that! I’m just hoping I have it finished in time for my book club. Sometimes, if a book really grabs me, I can get through it a little faster.

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "I wanted to read it partly because it was written by Kristin Hannah and I enjoy her writing. I particularly loved The Nightingale. I also wanted to read it because it was set in Alaska and as you s..."
Those are all great reasons! Honestly, I didn't know anything about this author before I started this. I'm going to check out The Nightingale, if this book is one I end up enjoying. I was a child in the 70's so it could be a nostalgic read for me. As for your deadline, I wish you the best of luck. Its a daunting challenge!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks! I'm always shocked by the high number of books some people can read on here. I read a lot, but not quickly so I'll never be a book-a-day kind of person.

Exactly, I think it will be nostalgic too. I hope you love it and The Nightingale. :)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Thanks! I'm always shocked by the high number of books some people can read on here. I read a lot, but not quickly so I'll never be a book-a-day kind of person.

Exactly, I think it will be nostal..."
some of us have a lot of free time on our hands. For me personally reading books keeps me busy but lately i am listening to more than reading but I do both.

message 11: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Susanne wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Thanks! I'm always shocked by the high number of books some people can read on here. I read a lot, but not quickly so I'll never be a book-a-day kind of person.

Exactly, I think i..."

Listening while doing chores around the house is something I do a lot, it makes me feel less guilty about enjoying/listening to a good book. Plus, if I bought the audible version, it sure makes my long commute a breeze .

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love audiobooks. I used to use them for my longer commute, now I just listen whenever I can.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2019 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I made it all the way to page 21 today. lol I'll have to try to read a little more tonight so that I make it to your first spoiler, even though I just read it anyway. lol (See, you're motivating me to read more!) (view spoiler)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

On a side note - I really like the story already. It drew me in right away and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Her writing is very smooth.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "On a side note - I really like the story already. It drew me in right away and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Her writing is very smooth." I just picked up two more of her stories this week audible had a deal buy 2 get one free and two of her books where in that deal. I think she is a great author and this book was one of my favorite books of the year so far.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

That’s great to hear, Susanne. Which two books did you pick up?

message 17: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Sep 04, 2019 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "That’s great to hear, Susanne. Which two books did you pick up?"
Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) by Kristin Hannah and Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah
I read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah a month or two back i enjoyed that book as well. She is one of my favorite authors.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m thinking about picking up something from the sale before it ends tonight and Between Sisters is one of my options. I’m just indecisive as to which three I want.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "I’m thinking about picking up something from the sale before it ends tonight and Between Sisters is one of my options. I’m just indecisive as to which three I want."

I did it cause I had so many tokens saved up so i decided to get in on the deal.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah... I have a few books that look interesting, but they're not on my tbr. I have so many already that I still need to listen to that I think I'll skip it and use the credits for something that I really want later (or a better 'buy one, get one' sale!) Hope you enjoy your picks.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Yeah... I have a few books that look interesting, but they're not on my tbr. I have so many already that I still need to listen to that I think I'll skip it and use the credits for something that I..." me too I hope i picked some good ones.

message 22: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 04, 2019 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "I made it all the way to page 21 today. lol I'll have to try to read a little more tonight so that I make it to your first spoiler, even though I just read it anyway. lol (See, you're motivating me..."
Glad I can motivate you. I'm about to most likely fall behind. I start my 12hr shifts back up tomorrow.

Great insight! You are spot on.. (view spoiler)

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "On a side note - I really like the story already. It drew me in right away and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Her writing is very smooth." Yes, I'm easily lost in the story. The writing flows well, despite it not being in a first person narrative, which is my favorite.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote: "Yes, I'm easily lost in the story. The writing flows well, despite it not being in a first person narrative, which is my favorite."

I've heard people on both sides of that (loving it and hating it). I really don't have a preference towards perspective as long as it works well for the story.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote: "Glad I can motivate you. I'm about to most likely fall behind. I start my 12hr shifts back up tomorrow."

How many days in a row do you work 12 hours? And what do you do for long shifts? I have some things going on the next few days, so I probably won't read much myself. (Unless I get so grabbed that I do nothing else. lol) Definitely, won't get to it at all tomorrow. I'll be out out of the house all day.

message 26: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 05, 2019 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote: "Glad I can motivate you. I'm about to most likely fall behind. I start my 12hr shifts back up tomorrow."

How many days in a row do you work 12 hours? And what do yo..."

I work 3 then have 2 off then work 3 more. After that I get six off and then I start over again. I am a healthcare professional at a hospital. I take care of patients (mostly kiddos) with respiratory troubles.

message 27: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 05, 2019 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Made it to to page 77 last night. I plan to read a bit more before bedtime, tonight.
(view spoiler)

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Read to page 101 before going to sleep last night.....

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2019 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read to page 36 tonight. I've had very little reading time lately, but I hope to read a chunk tomorrow and catch up to you soon.

chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Edit: still reading

chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote: "Progressed to page 48. Told you I was quite slow. [spoilers removed]"

hahaha I thought the same thing. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

One more thought on chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Ok, that was a few more thoughts. lol My mind is all over the place with this one.

message 32: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 08, 2019 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments I'm having the same feeling you do...
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 08, 2019 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments YES!

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina - Be careful of the spoilers showing in your replies. That is a Goodreads glitch that sometimes shows the spoilers. Just make sure to remove anything that shouldn't show before you hit post.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 08, 2019 08:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments I think your talking about when I push "reply" part of the "reply" has spoilers in it... so I will delete those parts in italics. Thanks. I didn't realize that!

Gardening on our 1 acre piece of land here needs to be in raised beds. We do have deer, rabbits and other critters who like our garden, too. The peskiest animals are moles and voles. My first garden here, they ate all my root vegetables.

I also see you are using chapters as break points instead of pages. I read on a kindle. I'll try to be mindful of chapters as break points vs. pages.

As for Ernt (view spoiler)

Jenna | 6 comments I read this one last winter so I won’t spoil anything for you! I’ll just check in here to see what you all think - I’m curious. I love this author’s writing and really enjoyed this book.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, that’s exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for fixing it. You can always just delete the part that was in the spoiler too if you wanted to keep the reference point.

All those pesky critters eating your hard work! How did you get around it? Raised beds with a good fence to keep the deer out? I might consider something like that next summer. It would have to be pretty good to keep all our deer out.

I can’t read your spoiler because I’m on the app, but I’ll check it out in the morning. I should be sleeping anyway!

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh and you can use whatever you like as breaking points. When I use audio or kindle I tend to use percentages. Chapters have just worked for me so far this time. But if I stop mid-chapter I’ll probably use the page number.

message 39: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 13, 2019 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "Yes, that’s exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for fixing it. You can always just delete the part that was in the spoiler too if you wanted to keep the reference point.

All those pesky critt..."

We did raised beds and moved them closer to our house, where deer wouldn't feel comfortable roaming about. We also put down a barrier on the ground in the raised beds to prevent voles and moles from penetrating. It really helped.

Its a little harder for me to use chapters. Good to hear I can continue to use pages as a reference. Its easier that way, at least for me.
------------------------------------
I made it to page 123

(view spoiler)

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Jenna wrote: "I read this one last winter so I won’t spoil anything for you! I’ll just check in here to see what you all think - I’m curious. I love this author’s writing and really enjoyed this book."

Welcome Jenna. Chime in if you feel like you have something to add! I do love the writing, I totally get immersed in the writing whenever I return to this book.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Up to chapter 8 (page 97) - (view spoiler)

message 42: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Response to chapter 8 (page 97) - (view spoiler)

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote: "Response to chapter 8 (page 97) - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

How far along are you, Gina? I should finally have some reading time again tomorrow. I've got to get a move on this one!

message 44: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 13, 2019 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "Gina (My Precious Blog) wrote:
How far along are you, Gina? I should finally have some reading time again tomorrow. I've ..."

Pg 140
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I made it to chapter 11 (page 143)! Somehow, I don't see me finishing this on time for my book club, which is the day after tomorrow. lol Oops...

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Page 165 (up to chapter 12) (view spoiler)

The next chapter takes a jump to 1978. I'm curious to see how things have changed.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

page 183 (up to chapter 13) (view spoiler)

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

page 223 (up to chapter 16) (view spoiler)

message 49: by Gina (My Precious Blog) (last edited Sep 16, 2019 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gina (My Precious Blog) | 30 comments Kristie wrote: "Page 165 (up to chapter 12)...

Gina-----> Currently on p 178.

REPLY TO SPOILER: (view spoiler)

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought the first plan was a good one! lol

« previous 1