A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your October 2019 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 541 comments Hey everyone, I haven't been much in a reading mood lately but still enjoy watching everyone else's PIFM. Question: what is your favorite go-to/feel good book when you are in a slump? Nothing to long or heavy. I need some ideas!

message 3: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments I like Janet Evanovich books. Also Rita Mae Brown ( cat who series) they are funny.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Wilen | 4 comments I love anything by Laura Childs, Kate Collins and her Flower Shop series, anything Jenn McKinlay, M.C. Beaton and Joanne Fluke.

message 5: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9322 comments Mod
Oh no October already, autumn is upon us....

Good reading everyone

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments Dana wrote: "Hey everyone, I haven't been much in a reading mood lately but still enjoy watching everyone else's PIFM. Question: what is your favorite go-to/feel good book when you are in a slump? Nothing to lo..."

Naked in Death by JD Robb

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Dana wrote: "Hey everyone, I haven't been much in a reading mood lately but still enjoy watching everyone else's PIFM. Question: what is your favorite go-to/feel good book when you are in a slump? Nothing to lo..."

Reading slumps are sometimes hard to conquer. I agree with all the choices people have put out there.
Evanovich and JD Robb “in death” series are two of my go to series that keep me in the mystery department but on a lighter, faster paced reading scale.

The other thing I do is skip to a completely different genre a,together. Push out of my comfort zone and grab something that I’ve seen on tv or from the history shelf or the old stand by Mr Stephen King,

Let me know what you pick

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 541 comments That's what I was thinking, something light and fluffy would be nice. But I think I am getting the newest Will Trent from the library this week so hopefully that does the trick!

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments Another choice would be the Lady Georgie series by Rhys Bowen. Great if you want light. If you want LOL funny, try Lisa Lutz's hilarious Spellman Files series.

message 10: by Patricia (last edited Sep 09, 2019 09:39PM) (new)

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1030 comments Dana wrote: "Hey everyone, I haven't been much in a reading mood lately but still enjoy watching everyone else's PIFM. Question: what is your favorite go-to/feel good book when you are in a slump? Nothing to lo..."

If I find myself in a slump I tend to get a bit of fluff from Kindle Unlimited or the library. I don't like to stick to one genre for too long so if I've read a few heavy going thrillers or something I'll switch to a couple of light romances, comedies or even an old children's classic, it's like pushing a 'reset' button lol

message 12: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments @Tonya great choices this month I want to read them all lol

message 13: by Mandy (last edited Sep 10, 2019 04:01PM) (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Finally got my list up and I've voted for everyone, I don't know where the time goes!

message 14: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Mandy wrote: "@Tonya great choices this month I want to read them all lol"

@Mandy I want to read all of yours as well this month.

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Tonya wrote: "Mandy wrote: "@Tonya great choices this month I want to read them all lol"

@Mandy I want to read all of yours as well this month."

lol we should swap lists ;)

message 16: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Tonya wrote: "Mandy wrote: "@Tonya great choices this month I want to read them all lol"

lol some great autumn/Halloween reads have been posted this month :)

message 17: by Perri (new)

Perri Any interest in a group read Recursion in Oct? Or maybe some other scary story

message 18: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Mandy wrote: "Tonya wrote: "Mandy wrote: "@Tonya great choices this month I want to read them all lol"

lol we should swap lists ;)"

@Mandy we could do that...lol

message 19: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Perri what other ideasvdo you have?

message 20: by Perri (new)

Perri Tonya wrote: "Perri what other ideasvdo you have?"

Hm, not sure. Are you interested in a buddy read?

message 21: by Tonya (last edited Sep 13, 2019 11:13AM) (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments @ Perri, Im okay with it if I know what book so I check at the library to see if we have it.👻😲

I have a suggest for a buddy read but its not a scary read like we should do, the name of it is Dragonfly by Leila Meacham. Let me know what you think or suggest. Everyone is to join in if they would like.

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna Schmidt | 63 comments You know what triggers me out of a reading slump? You guys and the PIFM group! Love the ideas and sharing!!! Thanks for always being a great group! I just finished my read to get me out of a slump. A fun romantic mystery by Linda Howard.

message 23: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments @Perri, my library doesn't have a copy of Recursion at present but I'd be up for a scary buddy read of something. Anyone got any ideas? I will have a look on my shelves......

message 24: by Perri (new)

Perri Mandy, my library has The Death Collectors and Tonya you voted for it for Mandy. I'll keep looking too

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4936 comments Perri i’m interested in doing a buddy read

message 26: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Perri wrote: "Mandy, my library has The Death Collectors and Tonya you voted for it for Mandy. I'll keep looking too"

I am up for that if everyone else is :)

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is currently in the lead with 3 votes out of 5 cast so far - I've been meaning to read this for ages

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments The Cabin at the End of the World is supposed to be scary.

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments I updated my votes!!

message 30: by Perri (last edited Sep 18, 2019 05:44PM) (new)

Perri Mandy, I'm really excited for you to read it-it's one that has stayed with me!

So here are possible buddy reads
The Death Collectors
Perri, Mandy, Tonya, Christine?

The Cabin at the End of the World
Perri , Patricia,Tonya,, Mandy, Kirsten? Christine?

The Broken Girls
Perri , Sophie

message 31: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1101 comments Perri - Add me to The Cabin at the End of the World buddy read.

message 32: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 886 comments I have read The Cabin at the End of the World and I enjoyed it. I will be super curious to see what you guys think of it. There was a slow down for me in the middle. The premise is so crazy though!

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Well I've got to get these three from interloan library so I will let you all know when they come in.The Cabin at the End of the Worldand
The Hundredth Manand The Death Collectors

message 34: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments Perri wrote: "Mandy, I'm really excited for you to read it-it's one that has stayed with me!

So here are possible buddy reads
The Death Collectors
Perri, Mandy, Tonya? Christine?

The Cabin a..."</i>

Ive got to wait for [book:The Death Collectors
, The Hundredth Man, and The Cabin at the End of the Worldto come in. I will join as soon as they do. So please add me.

message 35: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments I have to read The Hundredth Manso I will know whats going on.

message 36: by Mandy (last edited Sep 18, 2019 04:14AM) (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Ok, I have an old copy of The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2) by Jack Kerley so I am ready to go, just tell me when :)

message 37: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I can get a copy of The Cabin at the End of the World from my library :)

message 38: by Perri (new)

Perri Oooh, I'm excited-it looks like The Cabin would be up first to give Tonya a chance to read The 100th Man and more people are interested in that book
What about a tentative starting date of a week from today the 25th? We actually don't all have to read at the same time, although it makes it a bit more fun

message 39: by Patricia (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:06PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1101 comments I am looking forward to reading it. Hopefully, before I start it I can finish the one I'm reading now, Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter, & Salinas #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz .

message 40: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Perri wrote: "Oooh, I'm excited-it looks like The Cabin would be up first to give Tonya a chance to read The 100th Man and more people are interested in that book
What about a tentative starting date of a week f..."

That should be ok with me, I am next in the queue for it and so should have it in a week. I am only waiting for it to come from another branch in the county.

message 41: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 866 comments I have to wait for all three books....WHAT A BUMMER!!!

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments I would love to buddy read Cabin -- let me know!

message 43: by Perri (new)

Perri Tonya, I hope they come soon.

Kirsten, I'm hoping to start mine next week, Do you have a book available?

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1101 comments I have started to read The Cabin at the End of the World today.

message 45: by Perri (new)

Perri Hoorah, Patricia, I'll join you tomorrow! Just put up a thread for it

message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4936 comments Perri I wouldn’t be interested in reading that book called The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay and i’m sorry

message 47: by Perri (new)

Perri Christine wrote: "Perri I wouldn’t be interested in reading that book called The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay and i’m sorry"

No worries, Christine!

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7982 comments Perri wrote: "Tonya, I hope they come soon.

Kirsten, I'm hoping to start mine next week, Do you have a book available?"

I will in a couple of days.

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I am picking up my copy tomorrow :)

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hello everyone

Ive been catching up on everything lately, including my library reads. I finished Vanish and The Childand I am almost finished with the wonderful The Golem and the Jinni and The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared...phew I am truly in a reading rush

« previous 1