This topic is about All Passion Spent
All Passion Spent > September 2019- Passion Spent- No Spoiler Thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlene Morris | 1147 comments Mod
All Passion Spent- No Spoiler Thread

Charlene Morris | 1147 comments Mod
About Vita Sackville West from the National Trust

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/feat...

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments Opening the book, the epigraph sent me to my bookshelf for a little old copy of Samson Agonistes and Shorter Poems. I was certain I had never read it, and yet here were my notes from over fifty years ago.

message 4: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 03, 2019 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marilyn | 198 comments Brief timeline pertaining to All Passion Spent:

1922: Vita Sackville-West met Virginia Woolf in December at a party.

In 1927 Woolf wrote in her diary that she was writing Orlando “half in mock style very clear and plain, so that people will understand every word. But the balance between truth and fantasy must be careful. It is based on Vita.” The work was so personal that Woolf wrote to Sackville-West asking for her permission. Vita replied, “My God Virginia, if ever I was thrilled and terrified it is at the prospect of being projected into the shape of Orlando.” (from an article in Time magazine about the movie Vita & Virginia)

1928: Woolf published Orlando.

1929: Woolf published A Room of One's Own.

1929: Vita and Virginia ended their affair but remained friends. (I've read they ended the affair in 1927, 1928 and 1929. So it was around there somewhere.)

1931: All Passion Spent published by Hogarth Press as an homage to A Room of One's Own.

Marilyn | 198 comments I had to finish a book for another group so I am starting this book today.

Marilyn | 198 comments YouTube has a 3 part series of All Passion Spent. Is this the BBC production?

Vita & Virginia is a recently released movie. I looked at some reviews and it seems to be a love it or hate it movie.

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments Marilyn wrote: "YouTube has a 3 part series of All Passion Spent. Is this the BBC production?

Vita & Virginia is a recently released movie. I looked at some reviews and it seems to be a love it or hate it movie."

I requested the BBC production from the library, and it arrived sooner than expected. A fun watch--I almost never watch before I read. But I'm not really sorry. It's interesting to notice what they chose to include. No where near as good as the book. Missed the point, IMO.

Marilyn | 198 comments After reading All Passion Spent, do you want to: 1) read more by Vita Sackville-West; 2) read Orlando by Virginia Woolf; 3) visit the gardens at Sissinghurst (Vita and her husband bought the estate in 1930 and turned it into one of the most spectacular gardens in England); or 4) none of the above?

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 60 comments Marilyn wrote: "After reading All Passion Spent, do you want to: 1) read more by Vita Sackville-West; 2) read Orlando by Virginia Woolf; 3) visit the gardens at Sissinghurst (Vita and her husband boug..."

I would do #s 1-3. I was going to read Orlando earlier this year, but I ran out of time. It's still in my bedside table TBR pile.