Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > Help! A Bear Is Eating Me...

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments This was the funniest books I've read in some time.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've never heard of this one. What makes it so funny?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments The protagonist is a total jerk and the entire book is told through his thoughts. He has a pretty warped sense of reality and starts to lose his grip on things.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Sounds interesting. I'm going to try to read this. Only thing about all these bizarro/splatterpunk books is I have to buy them or get them through ILL. Which I don't mind, but it's much less convenient than grabbing it off the shelf.

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) ah, I've been wanted to read this!

Scan the pages and send it to me?

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 3 comments I read this book after seeing your comments on it and loved it! It's just so frickin funny and I'm trying to get my friends and family to read it too.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Tanya wrote: "I read this book after seeing your comments on it and loved it! It's just so frickin funny and I'm trying to get my friends and family to read it too."

Glad you enjoyed it!

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I am LMAO at this book! I love it! I don't know if I've ever met such a self-absorbed jerk in all my reading life. The way he worships his Rover is hilarious. I love the digs he takes at his ineffective underlings. Another funny part is when he's trapped under the Rover, he obsesses about how the Mexicans didn't detail his car correctly. I think that's the last thing I'd be worried about, but I'm not a Gordon Gecko type of person.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Aw man! I need to check this book out now!

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Please do. You won't regret it.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Tressa, what is ILL. Our local library doesn't have and $10.95 seems a little steep for a kindle book.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Interlibrary loan. My library (and most, I believe) can borrow worldwide from other libraries, and this has helped me read many books my own library system didn't have. I read Cows this way too, ugh. It's a free service. Check out your library's website and see if they have an ILL link. Here's ours:

http://www.bplonline.org/services/Int...

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Ah! Thanks. I'll look into it. This books sounds like a hoot.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Ask in that Kindle/e-book loaning group here at HA if someone has one they could loan you. (If you read e-books, that is.)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments I do use a kindle. A lot! LOL. I just requested it through ILL, but I'll ask in the loan group as well. Thanks, Tressa.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome! I hope you laugh as much as I did, which was all the way through it. If I had it on Kindle and it was loanable, I'd send it right to you. I think I even bought a PBK copy after reading the ILL because I liked it so much.

message 17: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments Tressa wrote: "Interlibrary loan. My library (and most, I believe) can borrow worldwide from other libraries, and this has helped me read many books my own library system didn't have. I read Cows this way too, ug..."

OMG this is wonderful! I have to check out my library!

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments Missy wrote: "Tressa wrote: "Interlibrary loan. My library (and most, I believe) can borrow worldwide from other libraries, and this has helped me read many books my own library system didn't have. I read Cows ..."

Crap its a $10 flat fee plus the lending library fees :(

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Next year I am going to do a buddy read with this book. You are all welcome to join me when I do.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aww, Missy. I'm sorry. We are warned there are sometimes small fees, but in all the years I've borrowed all kinds of books from all over, I have never been charged.

Hey, Abebooks.com has some cheap copies.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc...

message 21: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Thank you Tressa, I couldn't find a copy in print, I now have one on order!

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Enjoy it, Marc!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Just got my copy from ILL. Thanks for the suggestion, Tressa!

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I hope you love it as much as I did. I know things are less funny when they're hyped by others. Hope that's not the case here.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Tressa wrote: "I hope you love it as much as I did. I know things are less funny when they're hyped by others. Hope that's not the case here."That's always a danger! I read it this weekend and maybe my expectations were a little high, but I still thought it was a pretty great book. Marv is one of the best worst characters I've ever read and I loved finding out why he really brought along his wife and what happened with (view spoiler). And the ending was quite fitting as well. Thanks for the great read, Tressa!

message 26: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (cdlt1983) I ordered this a couple off days ago, can't wait to start.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome, Michael. Sometimes high praise and hype ruins something for me too.

message 28: by Marc-Antoine (last edited Sep 25, 2014 03:42AM) (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I loved it, Tressa! This guy knows how to rant! I'm glad I saw this thread.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Love hearing that, Marc! I laughed the whole way through it. But I do understand that it takes being in the right mood at the start of a humorous book to allow yourself to sink into a funny story and let it make you laugh. Sometimes people just aren't in the mood.

message 30: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Absolutely.

message 31: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (cdlt1983) This one finally arrived last night

message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 730 comments Just requested it from library. Can't wait!

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott Savino | 1 comments I LOVED this book. It is absolutely hysterical and one of my favorites.