You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > October 2019 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2019 05:57AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Time to start preparing for next month! You can now nominate a theme for October.

Please avoid blatant nominations for themes that fit into the yearly challenge.

If you don't have a theme idea, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations end September 7.

Nominations
Name of a city in title
Scandinavian crime novel
Death in title II
Victorian classics
Books with evil inanimate objects

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I nominate books with the name of a city in the title.

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I feel in need of a Scandinavian crime novel of some kind so that's what I'd like to nominate .

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I am in the mood for a mystery. So I nominate books with the word death in the title

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Ooooh, interesting Renee! If I hadn't already nominated something I'd have seconded your nomination .

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments Hmmm...I own four books with death in the title and have one additional on my tbr. Interesting, except I really want to go with something creepy for Halloween. I haven't read a good, creepy book in a while, but I'm not really sure how to make it a "theme." I'll have to think on that.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I look forward to seeing what your nomination will be Kristie . I love a good creepy book.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia One of the challenges could be to read a book based off of our childhood fears.

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Sep 06, 2019 11:38AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Julia wrote: "One of the challenges could be to read a book based off of our childhood fears."

Someone nominated this a few years back. It works for those who read another book in the theme, but not for those who read the chosen reads as it would apply to the person who nominated the book, but no one else who reads it. Potentially. A slight tweak though and we could have a 'common fears' theme?!

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2195 comments I would like the second "Death in the title"

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Interesting idea Julia! I think it would be very nice for a challenge, and that a more general version like Sarah suggest would work for the group read as well. Is that something you'd like to nominate?

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments Oh, I never did come up with a creepy theme. Geez...I just had to go look to see what date we're on. The time is flying by lately.

Sarah & Julia, it could also be "common childhood fears" since childhood fears and adult fears can often be quite different and I think Julia was going for the childhood ones.

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9789 comments I nominate Victorian classics, i.e. books by Victorian authors written between 1837 and 1901.

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh, I never did come up with a creepy theme. Geez...I just had to go look to see what date we're on. The time is flying by lately.

Sarah & Julia, it could also be "common childhood fears" since c..."

You still have some time to come up with a creepy theme Kristie. Or just 'creepy theme' or 'creepy books' would work too :)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments True, Peggy. I felt like different people find different things creepy, so I didn’t want the theme to be too open or generic. Now I feel like it overlaps with childhood fears too much. I was thinking of evil inanimate objects like haunted houses and evil dolls, etc. So, if that’s different enough, I’ll go with “evil inanimate objects.” If it’s not different enough, then I’ll second common childhood fears if that’s in there.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments Hope that’s not too narrow. I’m on my app, so didn’t do any searches to check.

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Sounds like a good one Kristie. There are plenty of stories with haunted houses/dolls. I've not read one for ages . I definitely need to read a scary book in October .

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13609 comments Great! Thanks, Sarah. Me too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.