The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Recommendation for good police procedural/Detective Book set in letting American or Asian countries

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shantanu (new)

Shantanu Choudhury | 5 comments Hello everyone, I am searching for good police procedural/detective book set in Latin American or Asian countries. Looking forward to your recommendations. Thank you.

message 2: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 266 comments A Rising Man (Sam Wyndham, #1) by Abir Mukherjee A Rising Man
A terrific historical series set in Calcutta

message 3: by Shantanu (new)

Shantanu Choudhury | 5 comments I have read first two books of the series. A rising man and a necessary evil, really liked both. Very good historical plot and provides new insights during the British Raj in India along with a good mystery.

message 4: by Faith (new)

Faith | 313 comments Try Malice by Keigo Higashino or any of his other books.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13431 comments The continent of Asia plus Latin American is almost so broad as to be daunting. Do you have any specific countries you're interested in?

I agree with both of the above recs.

Japan
The Mystery Train Disappears by Kyōtarō Nishimura
The Devotion of Suspect X by Higashino
Salvation of a Saint by Higashino
Newcomer by HIgashino
Shield of Straw by Kazuhiro Kiuchi
Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seichō Matsumoto

Thailand
Timothy Hallinan's Poke Rafferty series. First in the series is A Nail through the Heart.

Taiwan
99 Ways to Die by Ed Lin (it isn't the first in the series, but doesn't matter]

India
The Strangler Vine by M.J. Carter (historical fiction, though. not sure if you want contemporary only)

Mexico
Don't Send Flowers by Martín Solares

Also, Paco Ignacio Taibo II's Hector Belascoe Shayne series. I own but haven't read, Some Clouds: A Hactor Belascoaran Shayne Detective Novel. It is the most highly recommended, in my experience.

Cuba
Leonardo Padura is the author you should read. Which book may not matter much, but you may want to find Havana Red, the first in his Mario Conde series.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments Try the Inspector Singh Investigates series by Shamini Flint

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35561 comments Leighton Gage has a series with chief inspector Mario Silva in Brazil. First one is Blood of the Wicked.

message 8: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Khanchandani | 52 comments Singapore
Inspector Samuel Tay series by Jake Needham

Thailand / Hong Kong
Jack Shepherd series by Jake Needham

message 9: by Shantanu (new)

Shantanu Choudhury | 5 comments Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Guess I will start with higashino‘s Book.