Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's August 2019 Books Read

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments My books for August included two group read books, some extremely well-researched non-fiction, some essays and a memoir.

The research behind Jill Leovy's Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America and Luis Alberto Urrea's The Devil's Highway: A True Story was impressive. Both left me with a better understanding and sadness for current situations of great peril.
Mary Laura Philpott's essays and Andrew Rannells's memoir added some humor and lightness in contrast.
Laura Lippman's book Lady in the Lake is worth the hype. T. Jefferson Parker's latest entry in the Roland Ford series did not disappoint and the dialogue in Lisa Sandlin's second Delia Ward and Tom Phelan book The Bird Boys was as mesmerizing as the first book.

Great Books
Lady in the Lake Lippman, Laura
The Last Good Guy Parker, T. Jefferson
The Bird Boys Sandlin, Lisa

Very Good books
Conviction Mina, Denise
Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America Leovy, Jill
City of Thieves Benioff, David
The Scholar McTiernan, Dervla

Good books
I Miss You When I Blink: Essays Philpott, Mary Laura
A Witch to Remember Blake, Heather
The Cold Cold Ground McKinty, Adrian
The Devil's Highway: A True Story Urrea, Luis Alberto
Double Indemnity Cain, James M.
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals Knaflic, Cole Nussbaumer
Too Much Is Not Enough Rannells, Andrew

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments Good month. I haven't read a Parker book in years.

message 3: by Karly (new)

Karly | 313 comments Great month!

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Good month, Ann! I remember when I first joined the board, 20 years ago, T. Jefferson Parker was a hot topic. I have a stab of nostalgia seeing his name again!

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I have the Parker on my Kindle.Now I just need time.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Jan O'Cat: He is writing as well or even better as ever!
OMalleycat wrote: "Good month, Ann! I remember when I first joined the board, 20 years ago, T. Jefferson Parker was a hot topic. I have a stab of nostalgia seeing his name again!"

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Great month! I haven't read Parker in years either. Can't remember what the last one was.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Agree with all reminiscing about T-Jeff. There was a time he was a must-read. Then I got tired of his heroes, who all seemed to be struggling with great personal demons. Ann, is this the case with Roland Ford?

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Nice month Ann

message 10: by Ann (last edited Sep 07, 2019 04:51PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol: the character Roland Ford is grieving, and he is somewhat of an outsider, but I wouldn't characterize his issues as demons. :) The title of this book fits. The Last Good Guy

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Agree with all reminiscing about T-Jeff. There was a time he was a must-read. Then I got tired of his heroes, who all seemed to be struggling with great personal demons. Ann, is this the case with Roland Ford..."

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I'm just 100 pages into the Parker and thoroughly loving it.