The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and future planning > Nominations for OCTOBER - Another Country

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 01:19AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
For OCTOBER:

Here are some books that have been mentioned in recent threads. Please votes for as many as you would like, or add any others. We will pick the one that has the most support.

Doña Barbara
Great Gatsby
Another Country by James Baldwin
Oscar Wao (if it's not chosen for Sept)
A Separate Peace
Alex Cross - the first book?
Dune
The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Tales of the City book 2
The Testaments (Handmaid's Tale #2)

FUTURE - November -December - Gilead (Possibly followed by sequels)
Other series books to be discussed.
Spring - If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin

We'll also work on the Quarter 4 big book read when J. (Joy) comes back.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 33 comments October GAR books I’d love to read with you guys:

Frankenstein
Another Country
Atlas Shrugged L
Catch 22
Hatchet
Heart of Darkness
Hunt for Red October

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelreader14) Hatchet would be fun

message 4: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments Outlander
The Harry Potter series

message 5: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Oh, if you read Gilead, you should read the companion books - the whole experience is WONDERFUL when taken together. I still cry thinking about two of the characters.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments I will go with the Testaments if I can get a copy.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 11:50AM) (new)

Note - In addition to a regular October book, I added The Testaments as a special event BONUS read to run through November. We can read this in addition to another book in October. If you get your library requests in NOW (ask a librarian for help if you haven't done it before), you may get it within a few weeks. The wait list will only get longer unless it totally bombs.
FYI - the goodreads ratings online today are NOT based on actual books read. The security for this book is extremely high, and they did not issue any Advance Reader Copies. EDIT - the reviews as of yesterday morning. I still won't trust gr ratings for this book.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Except that some people already have theirs, Nancy, because The Octopus broke the embargo rules and shipped some early. (again, but who's going to go after Bezos? The rules are for other people)

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Except that some people already have theirs, Nancy, because The Octopus broke the embargo rules and shipped some early. (again, but who's going to go after Bezos? The rules are for other people)"

And because of the Bozos at Bezos & co, ALL of the US papers immediately posted reviews - like in seconds! But the UK is still sticking w/ the embargo b/c Waterson's have MASSIVE events planned all over the UK for the book release - I bet they are just furious w/ Amazon.

Sadly, I preordered it from Amazon, but I was not one of the lucky ones to get a copy early.

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen I would like Another Country by James Baldwin

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments So since the Testaments will already be an optional read, I'm fine w/ either of these for my pick - just pick the one that has the most support & add it, please, Nancy. I put the word out in a couple other groups so far for Tales of the City & will do it more regularly tomorrow or over the weekend.

Doña Barbara
Another Country

message 12: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 12:01PM) (new)

Gee a lot happened yesterday while I was trying to finish a bookclub book.

FYI - I noticed something funny on our homepage The Testaments (which takes place in Gilead) is followed by a book titled Gilead. They are NOT the same Gilead.

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina R. Griffin | 1 comments Another country.

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (mstrahanache) | 52 comments I vote for Dune or A Separate Peace. I have both on my shelf and never got around to opening them to my shame.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I haven't counted yet, but Another Country seems to be a favorite.

I still need to list my preferences too. Take another few days to list the books you'd like to read.

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

OK. Another Country is the clear favorite. Let's set it for October 1 to November 15.

Next to discuss... big books and series

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Sounds good. I shall grab my copy in the next day or so.