Play Book Tag discussion

I'll Give You the Sun
This topic is about I'll Give You the Sun
Archive: Other Books > I'll Give You the Sun / Jandy Nelson - 2**

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I’ll Give You the Sun – Jandy Nelson
Audiobook narrated by Julia Whelan & Jesse Bernstein
2**

From the book jacket: Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, at sixteen, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways… until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else – an even more unpredictable new force in her life.

My reactions
Okay, the book jacket should have given me a clue to the over-written, melodramatic story I was in for. But I didn’t read the book jacket in advance. I needed a YA book with a multi-colored cover for a challenge, and my Youth Services Librarian suggested this one.

These twins were dealing with some serious family tragedy in addition to the usual teen difficulties of awakening sexuality, finding your place among your peers, fitting in, bullying, etc. Their inability (or refusal) to communicate with one another only added to their problems.

Nelson’s choice to use a dual timeline / dual narrators didn’t help the storyline much. Noah voices the 13-year-old situation, while Jude tells the story when they are sixteen. The chapters alternate, and the reader is left trying to piece together what is really going on, how the once close twins have been broken apart and what might get them back together.

The book was nominated for a slew of YA awards, and I can see the attraction for the target YA audience, but it wasn’t my cup of tea.

The audio version is very well performed by Julia Whelan (Jude) and Jesse Bernstein (Noah). Using two voice artists certainly helped keep the timelines/characters straight. I’d give them 4**** for their performance.

LINK to my review

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 228 comments Sorry you didn't enjoy this more. I normally end up so disappointed with most YA. I absolutely loved this book. And I've recommended it repeatedly to anyone who likes YA.