Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Karly’s August Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly | 307 comments Hello! August was all over again, but I hit 50 books for the year so far! Got some dusty tbr’s and coffee table books off the shelf too, which is always a nice feeling.

Stone: An Ecology of the Inhuman - Jeffrey Jerome Cohen. 1 star. Welp, what did I expect for a book about rocks... sigh.

David Lynch: Someone is in My House - David Lynch. 5 stars. This is a coffee table book of his paintings. He started as a painter, so its interesting to draw comparisons in his film to these works.

Supermarket - Bobby Hall. 3 stars. Was hoping for something more, there was a decent amount of hype. Thought it would be more of a horror or thriller. Not so much. It was good, entertaining. But not incredible.

Paintings - Paul McCartney. 3 stars. Coffee table book on his paintings, and some interviews. The art was good, interviews were blah.

Uffizi Gallery - The Official Guide. 4 stars. More from my Italy trip.

Reality is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity - Carlo Rovelli. 5 stars. He makes a very complex theoretical physics concept incredibly digestible. Plus a lot of the book goes over the scientific events from history that lead to the current state of things. Fascinating read.

Play It Loud: A Picture Album - Mark Polizzotti (Editor). 5 stars. From an exhibit at the MET in Manhattan, of musical instruments of famous rock and roll stars.

The Notebooks - Jean-Michel Basquiat. 5 stars. Interesting look into his process as an artist.

The Murder House - James Patterson. 4 stars. Entertaining and breezy read. Very enjoyable.

A Wind-Storm in the Forests - John Muir. 4 stars. Prepping for a trip to California redwoods!

The Gospel of Nature - John Burroughs. 4 stars. Very beautiful.

Happy September all! Happy Reading!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Sep 02, 2019 08:31PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Wow Karly! Lots of art and artists in your reading this month!
Reality is Not What it Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity sounds intriguing!
I started Supermarket on audio a couple of months ago and it didn't grab me in.

I hope your California trip is fun, visiting the redwoods sounds lovely.

message 3: by Karly (new)

Karly | 307 comments Thank you!

And yes- felt similarly about supermarket. Wish it had been a bit more...

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Isn’t it a great feeling to get books off the TBR? Enjoy your trip to the redwoods. Sounds wonderful!

message 5: by Karly (new)

Karly | 307 comments Thank you!!