Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Group Reads > The Kiss Quotient (September 2019)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1370 comments Mod
The diversity topic we will cover in September is abilities/disabilities.

The Kiss Quotient

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I enjoyed this one!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Calaway (bookenthusiast13) | 9 comments I adore this book so much!

message 4: by Paola (new)

Paola Hernandez (paolahc1978) | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book! It’s smart and lovely all around.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (puzumaki) | 9 comments It was hot and sweet, I read this in two days I could barely put it down. I connected with the main character.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona Chergui I really enjoyed this book - it was a quick read for me. I got through it in 1 day, and even stayed up late to finish.

I did think the 1st 70% of the book was better than towards the end. I liked the ending, but the 50 pages leading up to it I thought 'forced' some of the misunderstandings.

Overall though great book, and one I would definitely recommend.

message 7: by Mariah Roze (new)

Just started this today. What is everyone’s take on the main character having autism? Does it seem realistic to you?

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 14 comments I read this a few months ago and really liked it! I’m not qualified to answer the autism question because I don’t know anyone that they or their kids have it BUT what I’ve read and given the author’s personal experiences, it seems very realistic.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) It did seem realistic to me. I’ve met people like her but didn’t realize they were on the spectrum. That term didn’t exist back then. They were labeled “quirky.”

message 10: by Mariah Roze (last edited Sep 29, 2019 07:05AM) (new)

I finished the book on Friday! I ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

I just put book #2 on hold at the library. :) Does anyone else plan on reading book #2? I could set up a discussion for the 2nd book.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Calaway (bookenthusiast13) | 9 comments Book #2 is so good, but for different reasons!!! Not only do you get the perspective of autism but additionally in the second book, you get culture thrown in as well.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (puzumaki) | 9 comments I also have a hold on book 2 at the library, but it'll be a long wait.

message 13: by Mariah Roze (new)

Amy wrote: "I also have a hold on book 2 at the library, but it'll be a long wait."

Jessica wrote: "Book #2 is so good, but for different reasons!!! Not only do you get the perspective of autism but additionally in the second book, you get culture thrown in as well."

AWESOME! This makes me excited for book #2. I made a discussion page for it :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Mariah Roze (new)

Also, did you know the author has autism! That is why she wrote the book and created Luna! Her story is so interesting :) Here is an article about it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Calaway (bookenthusiast13) | 9 comments Mariah Roze wrote: "Also, did you know the author has autism! That is why she wrote the book and created Luna! Her story is so interesting :) Here is an article about it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am......"

Thanks so much for sharing this!!

message 16: by Mariah Roze (new)

Jessica wrote: "Mariah Roze wrote: "Also, did you know the author has autism! That is why she wrote the book and created Luna! Her story is so interesting :) Here is an article about it: https://www.nbcnews.com/ne..."

Of course! Such an interesting read :)

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 48 comments I really enjoyed this book and liked that it presented another take on autism (the author is on the spectrum herself). I've read in interviews that she wasn't diagnosed until she was older, which isn't uncommon for women/girls as sometimes the old perception of how autism looks was applied more readily to boys in school and girls who might have found ways to be high functioning (like the character in this book) but still struggled greatly socially and needed intervention weren't identified. So I really liked that this gave us another perspective to consider. And it was just a great read!