Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Dry by Jane Harper / 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments The Dry by Jane Harper
3.5 Stars

A small farming community in Australia is suffering through the worst drought in a hundred years when it receives another devastating blow – three members of a family have been brutally killed and not everyone in the community is in agreement with the local police's initial findings. After 20 years away, Aaron Falk, now a Federal investigator, returns reluctantly to this community, his hometown, to attend the funerals of those who were killed, one of whom was his childhood friend.

When his friend's parents ask him to look into the deaths, Aaron reluctantly agrees – he has his own haunted history from his teenage years in this community and had no plans to stay longer than a few days to pay his respects. But as he digs into the killings, new facts emerge – facts that may not only relate to the most recent crime, but may also uncover secrets that were buried many years ago.

In The Dry, two mysteries are solved – that of the present day killings in Aaron Falk's hometown and also a deeply-buried, well-guarded secret from Aaron's teenage years. It is an atmospheric novel; the drought itself is almost a character; you can feel it looming in the background and affecting the actions of the characters in the novel. On the surface the community is tight-knit, but underneath it's full of secrets.

Falk is a mystery himself. He keeps his emotions deeply in check, and the reader only learns the barest details of his present day life. I'm interested in reading more in this series.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5496 comments I read The Lost Man recently and enjoyed it. I think I would like this as well.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments I really like her books too - I’ve demolished all three on audio in the last month.

You’re totally right about the landscape being its own character, Kimber - same with Forces of Nature (Aaron Falk #2) and even more with The Lost Man which is a stand-alone. The story telling is very slow paced, but it’s nuanced and subtle. I love how her people are so ordinary and her dialogue is so ordinary - real people in real family/work situations, not a flashy page turner. But a smart story underneath.