Reading with Style discussion

34 views
RwS Fall 2019 > 20.8 Periodic Table (Owlette's Task)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments This year is the 150th anniversary of the Periodic Table of Elements.

Read a book written by a single author whose first and last initial match a chemical symbol in order (e.g., Fe). For this task, authors with only a first and last name would be eligible (as listed on the GR page). Not eligible: authors with a listed middle name, hyphenated name, or listed middle initial(s). Include the chemical name in the post.

Please post any comments or questions about task 20.8 in this thread.


message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 02, 2019 03:42PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments OK. So I made an Alpha List, but without the names. In keeping with requirements of the task you will still have to post the chemical name. You can use your browser's find feature with the scientific symbol to find it.


message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2386 comments Love this task! -> even though I don't have a book picked out for it yet!


message 4: by Anika (last edited Sep 02, 2019 06:57PM) (new)

Anika | 1846 comments Would Peadar O´Guilín work for PO (Polonium)? I’m always a little unclear on names that start with O’, L’, and D’....


message 5: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments So it has to be elements represented by 2 letters. We couldn’t use S (Sulfur) for an author with a single name like Saki and Sophocles or H (Hydrogen) for Homer ?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments Rebekah wrote: "So it has to be elements represented by 2 letters. We couldn’t use S (Sulfur) for an author with a single name like Saki and Sophocles or H (Hydrogen) for [author:Hom..."

Yes, but only when it is a single-name author.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments Anika wrote: "Would Peadar O´Guilín work for PO (Polonium)? I’m always a little unclear on names that start with O’, L’, and D’...."

In this case, that is an author profile that needs to be fixed on GR. He is correctly shown as Peadar Ó Guilín, so doesn't work for this task.


message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2386 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "OK. So I made an Alpha List, but without the names. In keeping with requirements of the task you will still have to post the chemical name. You can use your browser's find feature with the scientif..."

BTW - I meant to say this yesterday = Thank you for making the alpha list. It is helpful.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments Valerie wrote: "BTW - I meant to say this yesterday = Thank you for making the alpha list. It is helpful. "

You're welcome! I figured if I needed it, so did the rest of you!


message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2855 comments If there are two or more authors, do we go by the first author as usual?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments Rosemary wrote: "If there are two or more authors, do we go by the first author as usual?"

yes.


message 12: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "So it has to be elements represented by 2 letters. We couldn’t use S (Sulfur) for an author with a single name like Saki and Sophocles or H (Hydrogen)..."

Great!


message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments I've just finished reading Beowulf. Does "Unknown" as the listed goodreads author count for U (Uranium)?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11949 comments Megan wrote: "I've just finished reading Beowulf. Does "Unknown" as the listed goodreads author count for U (Uranium)?"

Yes, we'll allow that.


back to top