Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2019 > 10.9 Science! (Mary's Task)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5986 comments In honor of Marie Curie, the only person to receive a Nobel prize in two different science disciplines (physics and chemistry), read a book classified as science or mathematics by any library. The books in the following classifications qualify: Dewey Decimal class 500-599 or Library of Congress class Q. If your source for the classification is not BPL, please provide a link in your post.

If your chosen book is shelved only in a library that doesn't use either the DDC or LOC system, please post in the help thread with a link, and we will consider your choice.

Please post any questions or comments about task 10.9 in this thread.

message 2: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4227 comments I looked up a book on the BPL link. While it did list it as Science: Physiology, I cant find the Dewey numbers nor a letter classification
http://catalog.brooklynpubliclibrary....

The Body: A Guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11836 comments Rebekah wrote: "I looked up a book on the BPL link. While it did list it as Science: Physiology, I cant find the Dewey numbers nor a letter classification
http://catalog.brooklynpubliclibrary....+..."

Yes - such a new book they don't have the DDC on their listing yet! The LOC Classification is QM23.2 .B79 2019.

message 4: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments Is Fiction allowed? In searching my library's catalogue (they use the DDC classification) under Science these two fiction novels came up:

Archangel by Andrea Barrett catalogued under Science-Social Aspects-Fiction

The Curiosity by Stephen P. Kiernan catalogued under Science – Moral and Ethical Aspects - Fiction

(As a start, I haven't gone through their whole list, but wanted to get your read on novels for this task?)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11836 comments Penny wrote: "Is Fiction allowed? In searching my library's catalogue (they use the DDC classification) under Science these two fiction novels came up:

Archangel by Andrea Barrett..."

Novels are not going to have a DDC 500-599 classification. They are classified as Fiction.

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) (pennyliteraryhoarders) | 123 comments Okay thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11836 comments Here is a list that might help you get a start (and it's not promised that every book will work):

Best Science Books - Non-Fiction Only

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2352 comments I picked up A Zoo in My Luggage by Gerald Durrell at my library with a 591 DDS #. I don't know if all libraries use the same system and wanted to make sure this works for the task.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11836 comments Ed wrote: "I picked up A Zoo in My Luggage by Gerald Durrell at my library with a 591 DDS #. I don't know if all libraries use the same system and wanted to make sure this works fo..."

That will work!

message 10: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2412 comments Just confirming this is ok:
Bring Me Sunshine: A Windswept, Rain-Soaked, Sun-Kissed, Snow-Capped Guide to Our Weather

My library has this on 551.5 & I checked on OCLC Classify which has it as 551.6541

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11836 comments Tien wrote: "Just confirming this is ok:
Bring Me Sunshine: A Windswept, Rain-Soaked, Sun-Kissed, Snow-Capped Guide to Our Weather

My library has this on 551.5 & I checked on OCLC Classify whic..."

Yes, and thank you for the OCLC link!

message 12: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2412 comments Thanks & no problem... I vaguely remember that site but took a while to find it again :)